Media General Stations Removed from DISH, Agreement Reached

You can be "pissed" but Direct TV and other Cable providers have gone through the same thing, losing channels for awhile. Get yourself an antenna if you can get channels over the air. Otherwise this is going to keep happening from time to time.

I had D* installed yesterday and the tech said he has been doing a lot of new installs because of the ESPN and in my area the Media General disputs.

What are you - or the installer talking about with ESPN? Who has dropped them?

Our local cbs is affected. Many folks are fuming over this. I see a golden opportunity to make a bunch of Directv sales.

Between those who get it OTA, those not affected, and those who don't care enough about it, I don't see a huge deal for DISH for a short time loss of locals anymore than it has over the last couple of years. Could they lose potentially a few customers, sure. People were writing the obituary of DISH when they dropped or did not pick up the NY RSN's.
And, at this time of year it works both ways, it may not be good for DISH to lose some locals, but those locals don't want to lose eyes at the beginning of a new season when they are trying to hook new viewers either.
And there are other considerations. If someone for instance who wants the PAC 12 is affected, they may not even think of switching to Direct TV. What the big four networks have not accepted yet, is their dominance is about over and losing their signal may not be as big a deal as it once was.

Last edited:
I'm betting a percent of 1 percent of subscribers even know there are negotiations or that there is even any talk of a problem with ESPN. And if they pay attention at all, they have seen positive comments from both sides. I call BS on the part of the installer.

I'm betting a percent of 1 percent of subscribers even know there are negotiations or that there is even any talk of a problem with ESPN. And if they pay attention at all, they have seen positive comments from both sides. I call BS on the part of the installer.

I agree with you Tampa. After the media blows this out of porportion...who knows what is being said/told. The big issue in my area is not really the ESPN talks it's the E* and Media General retransmission talks.

Between those who get it OTA, those not affected, and those who don't care enough about it, I don't see a huge deal for DISH for a short time loss of locals anymore than it has over the last couple of years. Could they lose potentially a few customers, sure. People were writing the obituary of DISH when they dropped or did not pick up the NY RSN's.
And, at this time of year it works both ways, it may not be good for DISH to lose some locals, but those locals don't want to lose eyes at the beginning of a new season when they are trying to hook new viewers either.
And there are other considerations. If someone for instance who wants the PAC 12 is affected, they may not even think of switching to Direct TV. What the big four networks have not accepted yet, is their dominance is about over and losing their signal may not be as big a deal as it once was.

I do agree. However sales can be very hard to come by at times. I'm most definitely not shy about taking advantage of the situation to make a few either. :D

Noticed the scroll on the local CBS here today, had not seen it and did not even know our area was affected. They ran it during the SEC game on CBS, good move for publicity lol.

Dont really care, I record my locals on the Tivo anyways, but all of this is getting OLD.

Yep, it is getting old. It's only going to get worse until the current business model is changed.

I'm glad NBC has full episodes of Parks and Recreation online. Other than that, I can't say I watch anything on that network anymore.

Just out of curiousity, how exactly are these affiliates justifying the huge (if you believe the Dish side) price increase for the retransmission agreement? I would assume most national programming is the same regardless of location, with only local news and a few crappy shows being the difference. By crappy show for instance, after the Today show on WNCN in Raleigh they run this show that reminds me of that SNL skit with the two ladies having their own show (Amy Poehler was of them).

I really don't see how they can say they provide quality local programming that would justify that kind of an increase, at least on that station. The rest of the day is nation soap operas, today show, judge judy, etc etc that is on every NBC channel.

What are their "rising costs" for exactly?

I suppose the rising costs are so they can fly their helicopter over every non newsworthy event that happens.:rolleyes:

I guess I'm just thinking that if 98% of the programming is coming from the national feeds it seems a bit disingenuous to charge an arm and a leg for the remaining 2%, especially when that 2% can be had OTA for free.

I'm afraid they will be pricing themselves out of relevance quite quickly if things do not change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)