Media Player Recommendations?

Robbert

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
Southern New Hampshire
Hello everyone,

I've been looking at reviews and ads for a while, but haven't found a decent media player set top box yet... I'm specifically looking for the following specs (which I don't think are too extreme):

- Ethernet connectivity, preferably capable of accessing shares directly, not going through uPnP servers.
- HD output (component/HDMI/DVI is all fine). 1080i minimum, 1080p would be nice (through HDMI/DVI of course)
- Capability to play back nero's MP4 with 5.1 surround sound capability as well as decent ff/rew or chapter skip capability.
- Capability to play back MPEG2 TS files from Sony HC1 camera (1080i format, but I believe the X resolution is reduced to 1440 instead of 1920).
- WMV and WMV HD capability, don't care about DRM support
- High WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) and decent interface with remote control.

Does any of you have an idea where to find something like this? I currently use an old modded XBox with XBox Media Center on it, and love it. But it obviously cannot play HiDef. And Media Center PC's have all sorts of issues as well. I tried Vista Media Center briefly, but it would freeze/crash on trying to scan the thumbnails on the MP4's from Nero, and it would sortof play back the MPEG 2 TS's from the camera, but it was squeezed horizontally and stuttering. Plus it generally was a bit unstable. Definitely not as reliable as the XBox. I don't need any capability to record from a tuner either. Just playback of what I have on my server..

Thanks!
Robbert

Do you have any experience with this box? It doesn't look like it will do MP4 though.. That's what I seem to keep running into. Something might do MP4, but won't take 1080i MPEG 2 TS or the other way around.. :)

I have one. Stay away they have virtually stopped all support. Go here http://www.iodata.com/usa/forum/index.php? and look for the last post from IODATA :rolleyes: I dont think it does Mpeg4 and It doesnt play copy protected WMV9 with any sound. I can play island fever3 in HD but I cant hear it!!! supposedly there was a firmware upgrade to get sound but it was only stereo I believe and you lose up conversion over component if you do it. Pretty screwy. I use it soley to stream mpeg2 HD and to play mpeg2 HD-DVD's I have created from my HDtivo. It does a good job at that. Ive heard Snazio has a better product

Thanks for that feedback... I actually just ordered a TVix 4100 box. From what I read it supports everything that I need.. Based on the 4000/5000 reviews it looks like these boxes are pretty decent actually. I'll post back on here once I have it and had a chance to play with it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)