Meet the DIRECTV ENTERTAINMENT Pack

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ESPNU would be nice. But the way its written in the 1st post (•The sports they really want: All the major sports broadcast on network plus , ESPN, ESPN2
) to me that screams "NFL"

ESPNU would be nice. But the way its written in the 1st post (•The sports they really want: All the major sports broadcast on network plus , ESPN, ESPN2
) to me that screams "NFL"
Exactly.

I am looking at new packages and I see one that says, "Sports I really want" with major sports. The first thing that comes to my mind is, "Cool, none of those minor niche 'sports' like lacrosse; I will actually be able to see just the major sports." So I will be able to watch a lot of NFL? Nope. Sorry. How about the NBA? Nope. Sorry. OK, MLB? Nope, sorry. NHL? Nope, sorry. At least many of the college games? Nope, sorry. How about my own local major sports? Nope, sorry. Then where in the heck are the sports I really want? You just eliminated ALL of the major sports. The only thing left are niche sports.

actually the NFL is covered (locals and ESPN) and the NBA (ESPN, local ABC and TNT)
Baseball? nope....just Big Fox
Hockey? nope...just on NBC

I guess NASCAR is too (Fox, ESPN, TNT and ABC) :)

Just switched. I still save money over what I used to have, but I get AMC HD now. Thanks, DirecTV!

Iceberg said:
actually the NFL is covered (locals and ESPN) and the NBA (ESPN, local ABC and TNT)
Baseball? nope....just Big Fox
Hockey? nope...just on NBC

I guess NASCAR is too (Fox, ESPN, TNT and ABC) :)

NBA, NHL, and MLB are mostly on a local RSN, which is missing. All four sports also show games on their networks, NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL, which are also missing.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Usually one's local sports on their local RSNs are the sports they want, as opposed to poker or the spelling bee on ESPN (neither of which are sports).
I would say that when you mention "sports" though, the average consumer will think of their Local broadcast networks and ESPN well before they think of Fox Sports South or the like.

Personally, I would want my RSNs for the same reason I want all the ESPN channels included. The SEC contract puts games (basketball/baseball/football) on all of them.

NBA, NHL, and MLB are mostly on a local RSN, which is missing.

but that was pointed out in the original post that it WILL NOT include the local RSN.

I understand this package isnt for everyone.....but then again find me a programming package that is ;)
I've already posted my thoughts on a "man's package" which it sounds like you'd like too

Last edited:
Exactly.

I am looking at new packages and I see one that says, "Sports I really want" with major sports. The first thing that comes to my mind is, "Cool, none of those minor niche 'sports' like lacrosse; I will actually be able to see just the major sports." So I will be able to watch a lot of NFL? Nope. Sorry. How about the NBA? Nope. Sorry. OK, MLB? Nope, sorry. NHL? Nope, sorry. At least many of the college games? Nope, sorry. How about my own local major sports? Nope, sorry. Then where in the heck are the sports I really want? You just eliminated ALL of the major sports. The only thing left are niche sports.
What NFL games would you not get that you could get otherwise without ST? You have your locals there and MNF on ESPN. ST is still an option with this package.

The NBA is accessible as well with Locals and ESPN and TNT. There may be some games on RSNs, I dont watch enough NBA to know, but I do know there is plenty available in the channels mentioned above just by my causal channel surfing. It seems there are multiple games on every day one is scheduled with those channels.

MLB , yes, alot of that is on RSNs. But on the flip side, I would say most casual watchers care about the "big" games that are usually shown on a local network. Obviously that is not true for everyone, but again, I am talking about the average/casual baseball fan. Edit: I would guess this is your main sports rub with the package, but that is just a guess. With your MLB tv option is that really a huge issue though? You get ALL of the games that way do you not?

Hocky? Dont know, dont care. Not any on down here on my locals or RSNs, so I wouldnt miss it anyway.

Nascar is covered with the combo of locals/ESPN/TNT.

College games are covered in abundance. CBS/ABC/ESPN (NBC for ND) have football covered quite well. There may be some smaller colleges or less meaningful games on the RSNs, but the main ones are on the ones mentioned. Same with college basketball at least in my area.

It would seem that the package does give the average consumer access to the main sports far more than your post would indicate. Niche ones as well. :)

What NFL games would you not get that you could get otherwise without ST? You have your locals there and MNF on ESPN. ST is still an option with this package.
The NFL maybe the exception
The NBA is accessible as well with Locals and ESPN and TNT. There may be some games on RSNs, I dont watch enough NBA to know, but I do know there is plenty available in the channels mentioned above just by my causal channel surfing. It seems there are multiple games on every day one is scheduled with those channels.
Most of the games are on RSNs, not locals. The two local teams here, the Lakers and Clippers have the majority of their games broadcast on FSNWest and FSNPT.
MLB , yes, alot of that is on RSNs. But on the flip side, I would say most casual watchers care about the "big" games that are usually shown on a local network. Obviously that is not true for everyone, but again, I am talking about the average/casual baseball fan. Edit: I would guess this is your main sports rub with the package, but that is just a guess. With your MLB tv option is that really a huge issue though? You get ALL of the games that way do you not?
MLB has moved even more towards the RSN. Few games are now on local networks.
Hocky? Dont know, dont care. Not any on down here on my locals or RSNs, so I wouldnt miss it anyway.
The ducks and Kings here locally are pretty much exclusively on RSNs
Nascar is covered with the combo of locals/ESPN/TNT.
Don't watch it, but I would not consider it a major sport. Heck, I wouldn't consider it a sport at all.

(Ducks from the chair thrown at me by Ice.) :p
College games are covered in abundance. CBS/ABC/ESPN (NBC for ND) have football covered quite well. There may be some smaller colleges or less meaningful games on the RSNs, but the main ones are on the ones mentioned. Same with college basketball at least in my area.
Mostly RSNs as well. Just about every Bruins and Trojans game is on FSNWest or FSNPT
It would seem that the package does give the average consumer access to the main sports far more than your post would indicate. Niche ones as well. :)
The overwhelming majority of what most would want to watch cannot be seen, mostly because their local RSNs (where most of the local games are shown) are not included.

Remember that most of the local games in baseball, basketball, and hockey are shown on local RSNs. These same games are often blacked out on the national broadcast shown by ESPN, TBS, TNT, and Fox. Since one will not be able to see their own local teams on their own local RSNs, they also will not be able to see the national broadcast on the other cable networks due to blackout rules.

This package is good for those that don't care about sports, which is fine. But don't state that you will be getting the major sports you want when you cannot even watch your own local major sports teams for a large majority of their telecasts. If they include your local RSNs, then that statement will be more legitamate.

Last edited:
The NFL maybe the exception

Most of the games are on RSNs. The two local teams here, the Lakers and Clippers have the majority of their games broadcast on FSNWest and FSNPT

MLB has moved even more towards the RSN. Few games are now on local networks.

The ducks and Kings here locally are pretty much exclusively on RSNs

Don't watch it, but I would not consider it a major sport. Heck, I wouldn't consider it a sport at all.

(Ducks from the chair thrown at me by Ice.) :p

Mostly RSNs as well. Just about every Bruins and Trojans game is on FSNWest or FSNPT
The overwhelming majority of what most would want to watch cannot be seen, mostly because their local RSNs (where most of the local games are shown) are not included.

Remember that most of the local games in baseball, basketball, and hockey are shown on local RSNs. These same games are often blacked out on the national broadcast shown by ESPN, TBS, TNT, and Fox. Since one will not be able to see their own local teams on their own local RSNs they also will not be able to see the national broadcast on the other cable networks.

This package is good for those that don't care about sports, which is fine. But don't state that you will be getting the major sports you want when you cannot even watch your own local major sports teams for a large majority of their telecasts. If they include your local RSNs, then that statement will be more legitamate.

Ding ding ding. I love guys who don't care about sports that don't know what they are talking about. No RSN means No local teams. Except for when the nfl is in season.

I certainly understand your position Dodger. RSNs are important for catching the absolute MOST games in many of the major pro sports outside of the NFL, but I still feel that for the average fan, this package would give access to an adequate amount of the more compelling matchups with Locals and ESPN, and I think that was their intent.

I would like to point out though, when it comes to college sports, there must be a big difference between where you live and here.
I can count only a handful of games across the three major sports that I have to tune into a RSN for when it comes to watching my "local" SEC teams. And the majority of them are in baseball season. During football and basketball, nearly all of the games are on either CBS, the local SEC Network affiliate, or one of the ESPN channels (be it ESPN, 2, U, classic, or even News). The contract the SEC signed a few years ago assures that. As this is the bulk of my sports (or tv watching period) watching (I do follow others, but college sports takes the vast majority for me), if this package added ESPNu, I would seriously consider it.
Other conferences apparently have different contracts that utilize the RSNs moreso than what I am accustomed to.

And on Nascar, I dont consider it a "sport" either, but it is certainly "sporting", and has a huge market that is covered with this package.

I can see their claim as legitimate for the average consumer.

Remember that national broadcast of college football is very biased against the PAC 10 (now PAC 12). Even though USC does have a fair number of games on ABC, many of them are still on our local RSNs. This is even more true for UCLA, which is hardly every shown on a major network.

Remember that national broadcast of college football is very biased against the PAC 10 (now PAC 12). Even though USC does have a fair number of games on ABC, many of them are still on our local RSNs. This is even more true for UCLA, which is hardly every shown on a major network.
Nature of the contracts signed with the various conferences is my guess. Only so many prime time spots to spread among the channels. If other conferences are signed in with those slots, other teams get bumped.

I have been VERY pleased with the SECs position in this. Every single game is now on in football and basketball. The vast majority of the baseball season will be as well, although those will utilize FSS more than the other two big sports.

the site also shows a different entertainment pack. :( For example, no animal planet (the first one I noticed)
AdEXxJ3kB5EfAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

No discovery channel either.... no dice on that package for me.

As I posted a couple times the whole site right now is jacked up...there are missing channels in all packages. Entertainment shows about 30 channels and nothing past Nick

the issue is what Scott posted and what other retailers are posting doesnt match what D* site says right now....hopefully they fix that soon

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)