Memories of Galaxy 10R

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Was looking through some old websites via archive.org and decided to check out Lyngsat....after looking at a couple pages I saw something that was interesting

Pics are from 5/1/05 and at one time on G10 we had
-Equity channels (including the tube which kicked major butt)
-5 radio stations (KEXP on Research TP and 4 from Equity)
-the nets that are not on G16 C-Band (well just the big 3)
-Pentagon channel (remember that version that we called "the bootleg version" since the Pentagon channel site didnt list G10 as a spot...also the audio was off by a 1/2 second)
-KTWO

and some of the newer FTA folks wonder why some of us had a fixed dish at 123W for a long time? At one point you had all networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, UPN, CW, ION) minus PBS on one dish...what more could you ask for? ;)

Attachments

• equity 1.jpg
    equity 1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 241
  • equity 2.jpg
    equity 2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 233
  • equity 3.jpg
    equity 3.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 229
Yeap those were great days.. infact my parents still have a fortec 80cm dish pointing there cause of the Univisions and Telefuturas (GONE)
Keep forgetting to move it every-time I go there LOL

G-10R (Now G-18) was once the very best place to have a fixed dish aimed (for English language programming anyway)... The Tube was something special. It out-MTV'ed even the old MTV. Back when G-10R was really alive, one could have put up a fixed dish on that satellite and used that as their primary source of TV.

...what more could you ask for? ;)

:river I want them back... :river

Please... Please... With such a great loss - I think that it is too early to talk about it... :no

It is going to take some time to fill the void left in our FTA... :sob:

:angel: In memory of G10/G18 :angel:

Last edited:
It was nice that G10R + OTA made a great television package. I really liked it during football season.

Now I have a motorized dish and the hunt is on Sundays for specific games. its all fun, but really miss the lineup.

When I came into FTA, G10r had all of the Nets (save NBC, but that was on the way), multiple FOXes for ball games, time-delayed UPN for their one good show Veronica Mars, The Tube and ImaginAsian.

...and most of the comments here were "How do we get 11720 in stronger?"

The first to go was IA, then the nets. Then everything turned into either RTN (yay!) or MyNetworkTV (bleh).

During its heyday it was the best. But, as FTA goes, something else may take its place someday. Still, PBS and CBS on 125 is the closest thing to a great domestic sat right now.

G10 ku was great, the only problem was loosing Equitys signal when the uplink or our downlinks got rained on. Spent allot of time on that bird.

G-10R (Now G-18) was once the very best place to have a fixed dish aimed (for English language programming anyway)... The Tube was something special. It out-MTV'ed even the old MTV. Back when G-10R was really alive, one could have put up a fixed dish on that satellite and used that as their primary source of TV.

The Tube rocked! Retro Jams was OK but the repeating of songs got old real quick. The Tube had a great variety of videos :)
you're right Tron. Lots of folks had G10 only dish setups.....and a few of us had receivers in our setups designed just for G10

It was nice that G10R + OTA made a great television package. I really liked it during football season.

The sports on G10 were awesome. I remember when one station (KKYK) had the OTA games that were from the Rangers, Royals, Cards and Astros. Throw in the Mets, Yanks & Indians on WNGS and you had a great group of games to watch during the summer :)

I was thinking about this subject over the weekend. I was watching some recordings I made of Get Smart from the various G10 channels. The station slates, weather girls, Beau the dog, theme music, promos for other long lost programs all bring back pleasant memories.

WOW that lineup was excellent. I got into this too late for that.

Yeah, I just wiped out a bunch of 2007 era Equity channels off of a receiver that had not been used in a while.

It was like remembering that day when the Equity channels had red screens.

Oh well, they're gone.

Very pleased that the Luken channels survive...:)

Yes, I missed the G-10R's stations line up......

To bad, I can't get out of town local news like KTWO-DT from WY or KARK-DT Little Rock, ARK, anymore:(

And yes I loved the TUBE-TV music channel these were the days to live more, but sadly they all but gone....:sob::river

The Tube rocked! Retro Jams was OK but the repeating of songs got old real quick. The Tube had a great variety of videos :)
you're right Tron. Lots of folks had G10 only dish setups.....and a few of us had receivers in our setups designed just for G10

I remember getting The Tube on AMC-3 C band when I got my Pansat. I didn't have my G-10 ku dish up yet. It was a great channel. Retro Jams was pretty good. VH1 classic can get quite good at times still.

G10R was my first satellite. Living in an apartment with heavy tree cover, I was speechless when, one day after searching for two full weeks, G10R popped right in. Once I was able to receive all the other sats, I realized how special G10R really is (was).

Retro Jams had a lot of neat footage that I never saw on VH1 Classic! :up

This is true, right now though VH1 Classic is all we have though. I should have recorded some also. I have on tape 6 hours of the the 20th anniversary of MTV the first day that VH1 Classic aired from a few years ago. That has some video's I never see on VH1 classic normally. I also have stuff from VH1, MTV, and Much Music Canada from the middle to late 80's.

My first fixed dish was aimed at 123. Then I added a LNB for 119 (NASA) and 129 for whitesprings (which is also gone now). I loved that setup.

Was looking through some old websites via archive.org and decided to check out Lyngsat....after looking at a couple pages I saw something that was interesting

Pics are from 5/1/05 and at one time on G10 we had
-Equity channels (including the tube which kicked major butt)
-5 radio stations (KEXP on Research TP and 4 from Equity)
-the nets that are not on G16 C-Band (well just the big 3)
-Pentagon channel (remember that version that we called "the bootleg version" since the Pentagon channel site didnt list G10 as a spot...also the audio was off by a 1/2 second)
-KTWO

and some of the newer FTA folks wonder why some of us had a fixed dish at 123W for a long time? At one point you had all networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, UPN, CW, ION) minus PBS on one dish...what more could you ask for? ;)

Oh the Memories! What a sad notion to know that we have lost these channels. I am sad. I am truly sad and this is the reason that I would like to start up a new broadcast company that supports our measures of FTA and attempts to replace what we have lost.

This is quite a dream, but I would like to be able to do this and if I keep trying, maybe I will find a way. I am pursuing it with the ability that I can muster. It won't be easy, there is just too much competition with the pay channels as I am sure that you agree, butI am going to keep trying as I believe that TV should be totally free and I want to make it so.

At least we still have a few, and enough that we can still be proud of.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)