Memphis Local Channels

tcam93

Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
TN
I live in rural West TN. I just switched from DirectTV to DishNetwork. I was told I'd be able to get my local (Memphis) network channels when I called to schedule the install, but after the install I'm now told I can't get them. I'm stuck with the West Coast/East Coast networks. If I wouldn't have been lied to, I would have just stayed with DirectTV. Does anyone know if I can simply change the satellite I'm pointing to get the Memphis networks? Or, what language do I need to be speaking to the people that answer the 800 numbers so that they understand me? My sister and another neighbor both get Memphis local channels through their DishNetwork .. why can't I? We all have the same receivers...

They both live less than a half a mile from me....

Please, someone help!

Last edited:
Where do you live and what satellites are you pointed at? Also, are you an HD customer? If it is an address issue, you could always try "moving." There really shouldn't be a way to set it up where you can't get the Memphis local channels if you have HD since they are located on both the 129 and 61.5 satellites and the SD locals are on 110 and 61.5.

I don't have HD service, but I do have the DVR that has that capability. I don't mind if the channels are Standard D, I just want them . My guess is that my location being 120 miles north of Memphis is the reason why the Dish doesn't consider Memphis local for me... But, sadly that is local. We live in the country. I'm going to go in the settings and see which satellite I'm pointing at.... Since you guys are in the business, do you think a local retailer would be willing to re-aim my dish so that I got such channels? I have no problem paying for that to happen.... Unless it's something I might could do with the help of my son...Thoughts?

I don't have HD service, but I do have the DVR that has that capability. I don't mind if the channels are Standard D, I just want them . My guess is that my location being 120 miles north of Memphis is the reason why the Dish doesn't consider Memphis local for me... But, sadly that is local. We live in the country. I'm going to go in the settings and see which satellite I'm pointing at.... Since you guys are in the business, do you think a local retailer would be willing to re-aim my dish so that I got such channels? I have no problem paying for that to happen.... Unless it's something I might could do with the help of my son...Thoughts?

Well, the locals are delivered on spotbeams. If you are pointed at the 110 satellite then there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get them given this map:

SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 110°W

You probably aren't pointed at 61.5 if you don't have HD because for "Eastern Arc" installs pointing at the group of satellites 61.5, 72.7 and 77, the 61.5 satellite carries most national HD channels. You may be pointed at it anyway so you can upgrade easily in the future, but I am not aware of how service is installed in your case. It also happens to carry Memphis channels in SD and HD. You'll need to be looking at 110 or 61.5 to get Memphis in SD. But if they have you in a situation where you don't have local channels associated with your account, you'll get nothing even if you do point at one of those satellites. You'd need to be sure you were getting a signal and then tell then get them to add your channels by any means necessary.

Also, what happens when you use this form:

https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customernetqual/prepAddress.do

First what equipment do you have? Your asking about reaiming but we don't even know where you are aimed? Most posters are just like you not industry professionals but hobbyists sharing knowledge.

When I use the form it says:
LOCAL NETWORK PACKAGE
Unfortunately, this address is not eligible for any of the Local Network Packages.
This address is not eligible for any of the Local Network Packages for one of the following reasons:
1.?Does not technically qualify - This address does not fall in a DISH Network Local Broadcast coverage area. (The satellite signal does not reach your address with your local channels).
2.?Does not legally qualify - This address is not a local Designated Market Area (DMA). (Local Broadcast Networks by satellite are only available to customers who reside in the specificed local DMA).
3.?The address was entered incorrectly

It also said that my superstations (CW and UPN) were Boston, New York, or Denver...

My receiver is a VIP 722k. I'm not at home so I can provide further info yet. I will though. You guys have given good information.. I'm just not sure I'm technically aware enough to do anything about it.

It sounds like you just need to "move" to an address with Memphis locals. Get them to change your service address with a story about a second house and tell them you've already installed the equipment and it is working because you are watching it now and just need to inform them of your new service address and to leave the billing address alone.

You should be able to "move" to Memphis, Nashville, Little Rock or even St Louis. However before you do that, I would recommend getting a Vonage account using the same address you intend to give to Dish Network when you "move." That way you will have a home phone number with an area code/exchange combination that is consistent with the address to which you are "moving."

As for coming up with a good street address, I would find a residential street, then find the house on the block that has the highest address (say 184 Elm St) and then give Dish Network the next number going up (186 Elm St) along with the correct City/State/Zip.

Last edited:
phone

once you " MOVE" and get new locals.. What happens if you hook up to the phone line or internet.. Will they find you out through that...

However before you do that, I would recommend getting a Vonage account using the same address you intend to give to Dish Network when you "move." That way you will have a home phone number with an area code/exchange combination that is consistent with the address to which you are "moving."

Completely unecessary - many of us movers use our existing phone lines, or do NOT use them at all. If you are concerned about the "DISH Natzis", your existing phone line will suffice.

once you " MOVE" and get new locals.. What happens if you hook up to the phone line or internet.. Will they find you out through that...

No, see above...

I live in rural West TN. I just switched from DirectTV to DishNetwork. I was told I'd be able to get my local (Memphis) network channels when I called to schedule the install, but after the install I'm now told I can't get them. I'm stuck with the West Coast/East Coast networks. If I wouldn't have been lied to, I would have just stayed with DirectTV. Does anyone know if I can simply change the satellite I'm pointing to get the Memphis networks? Or, what language do I need to be speaking to the people that answer the 800 numbers so that they understand me? My sister and another neighbor both get Memphis local channels through their DishNetwork .. why can't I? We all have the same receivers...

They both live less than a half a mile from me....

Please, someone help!

They should be able to tell you by your zip code. You may too far north , but if so it would be the Paducah, Ky locals. I would rather have ther east and west coast feeds.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)