Mesh Superdish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
I was just reviewing the recent Chas Chat. On the CES video, a mesh or perforated superdish can be seen. I haven't noticed anyone mentioning it here.

Comments?

I mentioned it here about 2 months ago, not only does the mesh decrease the wind load, but it also makes the dish appear smaller thus uping the Wife acceptance factor. :D

When will it be released?

I'm hoping the new D* dish will have this option.

Any reports on if it affects signal quality any?

From what I understand, it is out now, however when a superdish is ordered the dealer does not know if they will get a solid or mesh dish. They need to get rid of the solid dish's then they should all be mesh, also some distributers may have more solid dishes then others thus a reason why some will have mesh dishes before others.

I wonder if this mesh material would lower the cost of the dish. I am also wondering if this would allow them to make the dish able to be put on a smaller pole/mast so that SuperDish upgrades can use the current masts that Dish 300's and Dish 500's use. I also remember on a previous Charlie Chat last year where they said that they would be able to decrease the size of the SuperDish by a few inches because of the newer more powerful satellite going to 105 (121 already has a newer satellite than what 105 currently has). The only other thing that would have some heavy weight to it would be the lnbf's on the end.

Wouldn't there be a less likely chance for ice to build up on these mesh dishes? Would this help rainfade just a tad since the water would go through the dish instead of bouncing off of it? Also wouldn't all the other parts that the SuperDish currently has remain the same?

Stargazer said:
Wouldn't there be a less likely chance for ice to build up on these mesh dishes?
From my old C band days, actually the snow tends to get into the holes and stick alot better....I remember going out in the winter sweeping off the dish after a snowfall.

Alt

I also wonder if hail would damage the mesh material easier. I notice dings in c/ku band mesh dishes but was told by the users that there were no affects by them. I would think that if there were enough dings that it would affect the signal some. I wouldn't think the mesh material would be that expensive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)