Metamaterial works for OTA?

What they are doing here is taking elements and structuring them in a way that bends the satellite arc into one point. I am sure its possible for someone to create a new metamaterial that works at OTA wavelengths to do the same thing. The problem might be that even though the metamaterial units are a fraction of the wavelength, you may need a large amount to steer the TV signals correctly. The antenna could end up being a huge flat panel of several feet.

It would be nice to point an antenna at one location and get another 45 degrees to the side at full strength. I doubt it will ever happen though as the market would be very small for such a device.

Sat signal wavelengths are on the order of the size of around a PENCIL~ width, and the sat is basically always line-of-sight above, straight to the antenna. OTA signal wavelengths (much lower frequencies) are closer to a yard-stick size, down to a 12" ruler. I wouldn't rule it out that they could use this, but it's not likely.

Also, OTA signals have to deal with curvature of the Earth, and the "horizon" is around 65 miles maximum before the Earth curves enough to stop the main signal beam. Any further, and you typically need MUCH more height, OR get lucky and get the signal through bounce.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts