Mets get Santana??

I'll believe it when I see him in a Blue & Orange cap! :up

ESPN - Mets agree to Santana deal, pending extension agreement - MLB

Not 100%, but if you're a Mets fan, expect to see him on your team.

He has to waive his trade clause (no reports on that as of yet) He has been open to that earlier this winter, so it shouldn't be a problem now.

I heard nothing about physicals, but that is standard in a trade.

MLB has to approve the trade, which is all but guaranteed.

The deal is expected to be done tomorrow, or Thursday.

Boy the Twins got screwed in this deal ....
4 prospects, no one with any major league experience ???
They had a better deal earlier and turned it down.
The RedSox with the Jon Lester was the best deal they had and wanted Ellsbury as well, I don't blame the Sox for not going for that trade, one or the other, not both.

They could have had Major League players from the Yankees as well.
Both Sox and Yankees were offering proven talent.

4 prospects ....sheeeesh

Jimbo

Boy the Twins got screwed in this deal ....
4 prospects, no one with any major league experience ???
They had a better deal earlier and turned it down.
The RedSox with the Jon Lester was the best deal they had and wanted Ellsbury as well, I don't blame the Sox for not going for that trade, one or the other, not both.

They could have had Major League players from the Yankees as well.
Both Sox and Yankees were offering proven talent.

4 prospects ....sheeeesh

Jimbo

The Yankees had the best deal for the Twins I think.

Here's what the twins got:

Carlos Gomez, OF age 21
.275/ 2-HR /13-RBI/ 27-SO /.355-OBP/ 19-SB
Not overly impressive hitting numbers, but he has a pretty good looking swing. Great speed on the bases.

Deolis Guerra, RHP: age 19
4-1/ 4.01 ERA/ 66 SO/ opponents average .240
6-5 200 lbs tower with a nasty, nasty change-up. This guy is very young, and looks like he could be a dominant pitcher in about 3 or 4 years. He had some control problems, but he is young still. good looking kid.

Philip Humber, RHP age 25
11-9/ 4.27 ERA/ 120 SO/ Opponents average .244
Another tall pitcher at 6-4 225 lbs. He has a great strike out per inning ratio. He had 120 strikeouts to 139 innings pitched. He had Tommy John surgery in 2005. I didn't see any video of him. Numbers are not super impressive though. He strikes a lot of hitters out, but also gives up a lot of hits: 129 in 139 innings, and surrendered 66 earned runs.

Kevin Mulvey, RHP age 22
12-10/ 3.20 ERA/ 113 SO/ Opponents average .246
Another good strikeout pitcher, that has four effective pitches with a good slider. He showed excellent control, and could earn a spot in the Twins pen this season. However like Humber he gives up a lot of hits. 147 in 157.2 innings pitched, while surrendering 56 runs. His numbers have progressed every year, and he looks like he will be a good SP in the future

all stats are 2007 minor league stats.

There it is, Do you think the Twins got a good trade?

Guerra looks great, the others look decent, but are they worth Santana? No.

Gomez is supposed to be a 5 tool player, and has serious potential but didnt show it last year in his stint in the majors (but he is 21)

Guerra is supposedly the key to the deal with his raw ability.

The other 2 are decent prospects, so who knows...

BUT, the Twins did miss the best deals with either the Red Sox or Yankees, they waited too long and the deals lowered over time, but they were also trying to resign Santana as well.... at least they got something for him rather than holding on and losing him for nothing like with Hunter...

They are building toward the new ballpark here in MN in 2010, they got the offense fairly locked up, Liriano is supposedly painfree and able to throw all his pitches and they have alot of other decent young arms... so who knows..

Gomez is supposed to be a 5 tool player, and has serious potential but didnt show it last year in his stint in the majors (but he is 21)

Guerra is supposedly the key to the deal with his raw ability.

The other 2 are decent prospects, so who knows...

BUT, the Twins did miss the best deals with either the Red Sox or Yankees, they waited too long and the deals lowered over time, but they were also trying to resign Santana as well.... at least they got something for him rather than holding on and losing him for nothing like with Hunter...

They are building toward the new ballpark here in MN in 2010, they got the offense fairly locked up, Liriano is supposedly painfree and able to throw all his pitches and they have alot of other decent young arms... so who knows..

I think they still could have got more had they waited till the trade deadline this year.

They got potential, nothing proven.
With Boston and the Yanks at least they were getting some that had a record in the majors.

Jimbo

Well, Omar Minaya HAS already got the heads up as Exec of the Year with trade and no losing any major prospects. I alos heard through my connections that they must sign an extention for this deal to go through....but that might be just a formality.

little to early to say if good trade or not give it 2 full season so in 2010 we should be able to tell if it was a good deal or not

thanks for the memories johan, see ya on the flipside

ill still keep my season tix to the twins!

little to early to say if good trade or not give it 2 full season so in 2010 we should be able to tell if it was a good deal or not

thanks for the memories johan, see ya on the flipside

ill still keep my season tix to the twins!

As Jimbo said the Twins could have got more.
Guys that have already proved they can play at a big league level, and will get better. That's why I didn't like that trade, I think they could have got more, and they had time to unload him still.

Every media outlet was stating that the Mets had the least to offer. Their prospect were about the hype that Minaya was creating when asked about not having the same amount of prospect as Boston or NYY. The Twins are the major losers here since they could have gotten proven talent for minor leaguers that have not had any ML experience. I thought that the Twins were a smart organization of scouts but I do not see with these group of prospects from the Mets. How many prospects had the Mets had that made it to leagues in a big way that are non-pitchers in the last 5 years?

Well, Omar Minaya HAS already got the heads up as Exec of the Year with trade and no losing any major prospects. I alos heard through my connections that they must sign an extention for this deal to go through....but that might be just a formality.

Deolis Guerra wasn't a major prospect?

Fernando Martinez is the Mets top prospect, and he is considered off-limits. Guerra is widely considered #2.

Santana does have to sign an extension (conditions of the deal set by NYM), I don't know if I would call it a formality, but if the Mets weren't ready to pay him what he wants they wouldn't have made the deal.

They have till Friday 5 PM to get the deal done.

Deolis Guerra wasn't a major prospect?

Fernando Martinez is the Mets top prospect, and he is considered off-limits. Guerra is widely considered #2.

Santana does have to sign an extension (conditions of the deal set by NYM), I don't know if I would call it a formality, but if the Mets weren't ready to pay him what he wants they wouldn't have made the deal.

They have till Friday 5 PM to get the deal done.

According to this site, as of Jan. of 2007, the ONLY guy in the top ten that they gave was Fernando Martinez.

Baseball America - Top 10 Prospects: New York Mets

1. Lastings Milledge, of
2. Yusmeiro Petit, rhp
3. Gaby Hernandez, rhp
4. Mike Jacobs, c/1b
5. Philip Humber, rhp
6. Carlos Gomez, of
7. Fernando Martinez, of
8. Anderson Hernandez, ss/2b
9. Brian Bannister, rhp
10. Alay Soler, rhp

According to this site, as of Jan. of 2007, the ONLY guy in the top ten that they gave was Fernando Martinez.

Baseball America - Top 10 Prospects: New York Mets

1. Lastings Milledge, of
2. Yusmeiro Petit, rhp
3. Gaby Hernandez, rhp
4. Mike Jacobs, c/1b
5. Philip Humber, rhp
6. Carlos Gomez, of
7. Fernando Martinez, of
8. Anderson Hernandez, ss/2b
9. Brian Bannister, rhp
10. Alay Soler, rhp

Huh?
On that list the Mets gave up Philip Humber, and Carlos Gomez. They did not trade Fernando Hernandez.

I'd have to send that list to the Mets people to see if they agree, I only researched the players traded. The Mets stated in a press conference about the trade that they considered Martinez off limits, and they considered Guerra the biggest prospect on the list.

Huh?
On that list the Mets gave up Philip Humber, and Carlos Gomez. They did not trade Fernando Hernandez.

I'd have to send that list to the Mets people to see if they agree, I only researched the players traded. The Mets stated in a press conference about the trade that they considered Martinez off limits, and they considered Guerra the biggest prospect on the list.

They will always use the "this player is off limits" just to bolster the value of the player being evaluated. Prime example is the Marlins when they stated in November that Dontrell and Miguel were "off limits/untouchable"....look at what happened THEN.....

I, personally, pay NO ATTENTION to ANY GM when they say a player is "off limits".....IF Wayne Gretzky can be traded in his prime.....ANYONE can....:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)