METV Channel 247

WOW, just did a OTA scan and discovered H&I on channel 024-03 in St Louis. I noticed all my OTA sub channels now have info in the guide. I guess I should re-scan OTA occasionally. What a nice surprise.
Probably because last Monday was a minimal Repack day. a few stations in some markets across the country vacated their frequencies and many moved to New frequencies with sharing agreements with current OTA channels. in our case one PBS affiliate (KLCS 58) moved to share the frequency with another public, but NON-PBS, station (KCET 28) which results in a better quality of signal strength to receive it. So that was a good move. It also resulted in a few sub Channel programming that I no longer get such as Heartland and I forget there's another Channel I ended up losing as far as content. the frequencies are still there with programming, but the content changed.

the PITA is that I had to run the OTA rescan with Dish a number of times before it finally read all 170 (I think that's the current number of all OTA channels in Los Angeles) channels successfully. I did notice that this time I was allowed to place weak signal channels in my guide. I thought that before the last update it would not let me do this. Am I wrong about that? anyway I like that I can put in Weak channels if I want because I can actually receive those channels about 90% of the time only in the worst conditions do I lose them.

frankly I dread the other repack days coming because it means that I have to rescan on Dish and do whole bloody process over, instead of being allowed to pick and choose particular new channels I can add like I can on TiVo by the way.

with Tivo the only with Tivo the only real problem is that they don't have the guide data yet for the new repacked channels so those timers are pretty useless unless I take the time to make the manual timers, but at least with Tivo it marks new channels found and I can add those new channels and discard the old so it's an easier process with Tivo. and of course such a feature for the dish OTA was to be coming sooon. it appears to have been thrown down the garbage chute.

as for MeTV here in Los Angeles, we get it as part of local into local on Channel 54 in high definition in 720p with full guide data. strangely Channel 54.1 Through the dish OTA module does not have any EPG data and therefore it seems to break the rule of the main .01 Channel always having the guide if the LIL .00 channel has it. I would like the OTA to have guide data just in case for some reason Channel 54 is not on Dish any longer as part of the LIL.

As for MeTV and high-definition 720p, well the picture quality is a little better than it is on the other place for me TV over-the-air channel 56.3 where it is a standard definition rather highly compressed, but the Lil high definition 720p Channel 54 does have noticeable better quality but not earth-shaking better, but 56.3 has no guide data so of course Channel 54 is the Me-TV place for us to record from

Heroes & icons is part of Channel 20 local into local, which used to be the location for me TV local into local. What is interesting here is that a company purchased Azteca media and all the stations they owned. The new owner broadcadt MeTV from Channel 20 over to Channel 54. then it was able to put Heroes and icon on main channel 20 (still airing on 13.4) both of them being local into local, with H&I offered on the main OTA with great ballyhoo promotion for the change. That change was made months ago.

what's funny is that channel 20 still has the call letters KVME as in Me TV, and channel 54 still has the call letters KAZA as in Azteca. adding to the confusion is that while channel 54 displays the Me-TV icon channel 24 Heroes & icons does not display the h&i logo instead it displays the standard over the air icon. it took us several weeks to not be confused by KVME being H&I and to remember that channel 20 is hero and an icon although there is no h&i logo.

So dish please put the H and I logo on channel 20 Los Angeles local into local. It certainly belongs there.

obviously I don't get obviously I don't get me TV on channel 247, but I presume that at 247 it's in standard definition using Dish s compression picture quality. so I count myself lucky that I get all that old programming in 720p HD with full guide data, although it's not that much better PQ than one would think. Those shows are pretty old and the transfers are pretty awful. it might make a difference if the transfers for these old shows we're done really well and looked rather impressive with a modern digital techniques, but as me TV has them, they look pretty awful.

whether we like it or whether we like it or not more repack days on the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Those shows are pretty old and the transfers are pretty awful. it might make a difference if the transfers for these old shows we're done really well and looked rather impressive with a modern digital techniques, but as me TV has them, they look pretty awful.
And the butchering of the aspect ratio just makes it worse.

And the butchering of the aspect ratio just makes it worse.
Hmm. All the shows I've seen on MeTV are in original (4:3) aspect ratio. However, a local station could alter the aspect ratio even if it is sent in proper aspect ratio by the feed as long as that does not violate the terms for re transmitting MeTV feed. but I can imagine some locals doing just that. Does the Dish channel 247 present MeTV content in other than original aspect ratio? No doubt, I do understand you overall point: there are still a few channels that do mess up the aspect ratio. For example, our local OTA providing LightTV (11.3) has 4:3 content stretched HORRIBLY. It is often UN-watchable. I know there are a few more station examples, but I can't recall them.

On the plus side, I think MeTV, but for certain CozyTV and a few others will play content in original 4:3, but then air commercials in widescreen (16:9), and I say that is the BEST way to do it. Air in ORIGINAL aspect ratio and let WE the CONSUMERS alter it if we CHOOSE to do so; Our TV's, external processors (like DVDO) and our STB's and DVR's all have the ability to stretch 4:3 as we see "fit" :) he he.

Just one strange example is our OTA channel 64.1 is presented in 4:3 STRETCHED to look awful, but on Dish's feed at channel 3 (there is no channel 3 in Los Angels), it is in proper 4:3. I can only conclude that Dish must be getting the channel via fiber from the station, perhaps before the on-air TD feed. Dish does get its feeds for the many TV stations in LA via direct feed from the TV studios here (which can be done economically here do to every TV station, all studios and every performance venue having fiber running to the Telco hub), and to some degree from other DMA's local stations, as well. This is a change from the SDTV days when I believe that vast majority of local TV feeds for Dish LIL were from TV antennas that received the OTA signal, then fed to Dish. Today, it is nice to know that if a transmitter goes down (which did happen here a few years ago: KCBS lost the main and had to broadcast on backup Xmtr, so my TiVo could NOT get a signal and legions of OTA people were screaming mad, but Dish still has glorious HD for KCBS throughout the near 4+ weeks of this mess, and KCBS NEVER sent out any word nor press release about it) we can still get Local into Local.

Hmm. All the shows I've seen on MeTV are in original (4:3) aspect ratio. However, a local station could alter the aspect ratio even if it is sent in proper aspect ratio by the feed as long as that does not violate the terms for re transmitting MeTV feed. but I can imagine some locals doing just that. Does the Dish channel 247 present MeTV content in other than original aspect ratio? No doubt, I do understand you overall point: there are still a few channels that do mess up the aspect ratio. For example, our local OTA providing LightTV (11.3) has 4:3 content stretched HORRIBLY. It is often UN-watchable. I know there are a few more station examples, but I can't recall them.

On the plus side, I think MeTV, but for certain CozyTV and a few others will play content in original 4:3, but then air commercials in widescreen (16:9), and I say that is the BEST way to do it. Air in ORIGINAL aspect ratio and let WE the CONSUMERS alter it if we CHOOSE to do so; Our TV's, external processors (like DVDO) and our STB's and DVR's all have the ability to stretch 4:3 as we see "fit" :) he he.

Just one strange example is our OTA channel 64.1 is presented in 4:3 STRETCHED to look awful, but on Dish's feed at channel 3 (there is no channel 3 in Los Angels), it is in proper 4:3. I can only conclude that Dish must be getting the channel via fiber from the station, perhaps before the on-air TD feed. Dish does get its feeds for the many TV stations in LA via direct feed from the TV studios here (which can be done economically here do to every TV station, all studios and every performance venue having fiber running to the Telco hub), and to some degree from other DMA's local stations, as well. This is a change from the SDTV days when I believe that vast majority of local TV feeds for Dish LIL were from TV antennas that received the OTA signal, then fed to Dish. Today, it is nice to know that if a transmitter goes down (which did happen here a few years ago: KCBS lost the main and had to broadcast on backup Xmtr, so my TiVo could NOT get a signal and legions of OTA people were screaming mad, but Dish still has glorious HD for KCBS throughout the near 4+ weeks of this mess, and KCBS NEVER sent out any word nor press release about it) we can still get Local into Local.
ME tv has a separate HD feed for some stations

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Hmm. All the shows I've seen on MeTV are in original (4:3) aspect ratio. However, a local station could alter the aspect ratio even if it is sent in proper aspect ratio by the feed
Our local MeTV is stretching the 4:3 content (and zooming it too). I sent screenshots in another thread. They are basically sending it 14x9, not fully stretched to 16x9.

Edit: here's the post: ME TV On Dish

Forgot to mention, my local AntennaTV is now stretching 4x3 content to full 16x9 widescreen. Change occurred a few weeks ago.

At least I can correct that by using encoding software to re-aspect it back to 4x3. With what MeTV is doing zoom/stretch/crop-top-and-bottom, I can't get the original content back.

Forgot to mention, my local AntennaTV is now stretching 4x3 content to full 16x9 widescreen. Change occurred a few weeks ago.

At least I can correct that by using encoding software to re-aspect it back to 4x3. With what MeTV is doing zoom/stretch/crop-top-and-bottom, I can't get the original content back.
I don't really know what's going on with the various METV OTA channels but mine looks really good, and noticeably better than channel 247. METV says they've been broadcasting in HD for around a year or a bit more, so I take that to mean they're sending out a 720p signal. It's interesting reading here what some OTA channels are doing with/to that signal. For example: Wonder Woman looks especially good (pun intended) in filling the screen with no bars and I can't discern any stretching/cropping/zooming when comparing the picture to 247.

Reactions: JSheridan
As I've said in previous posts, my local OTA METV is in HD. I emailed them asking why Wonder Woman is in full screen. They said the show was remastered in widescreen and they obtained the rights to the remastered version. Most of the programming is 4:3. Commercials and promos are 16:9.

Sent from my LGLS450 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: ekilgus
As I've said in previous posts, my local OTA METV is in HD. I emailed them asking why Wonder Woman is in full screen. They said the show was remastered in widescreen and they obtained the rights to the remastered version. Most of the programming is 4:3. Commercials and promos are 16:9.

I didn't know that, but it explains why it looks so good.

My Metv channel is being broadcast zoomed for as described above. If I use options display format gray bars it just covers up, it doesn't change the aspect ratio. It does not remember my choice if I change channels then change back.

If I have and OTA channel, changing format has no affect.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Seems like a lot of folks Have their own aspect ratio issues. I found that the only way I can change the aspect ratio on OTA channels is to tune to a Dish provided SD channel and change it. Go back to the OTA channels and they are changed. Quirky...

Seems like a lot of folks Have their own aspect ratio issues. I found that the only way I can change the aspect ratio on OTA channels is to tune to a Dish provided SD channel and change it. Go back to the OTA channels and they are changed. Quirky...

Now that's just wack. That's an unexpected feature I'm sure. Expect that behavior to randomly change

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You are right about that! It may not work for some and may never work for me again. Also, this only applied to SD channels. I cannot change the aspect ratio on HD channels on the receiver, but don't really have a reason to.

Reactions: CyberSpock
...the playback is unwatchable leaving us with 4:3 on 247.
But is it really 4:3? I see 4:3 squeezed horizontally like an anamorphic lens:
anamorphicbokeh1.jpg

anamorphicbokeh2.jpg

I know the aspect ratios aren't correct but the above is how I perceive the MeTV feed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts