MeTV vs Antenna TV with "Preempt Assault".

RedPenguin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
I was thinking about how MeTV and Antenna TV seem to be operated so entirely different on local affiliates.

I was noticing how so many people report on Facebook and other places how local affiliates will slap reruns of news, sports games, and everything on to their MeTV.

I also noticed a few MeTV affiliates that will be combined with MyNetworkTV in an odd mashup channel.

Now not that I have not seen strange Antenna TV's and Sinclair I know puts American Sports Net games on some Antenna TVs.

Though my question, does MeTV allow for way more preempting or is it just they are unlucky to have it done way more to them?

I just find it strange that ratings show MeTV as doing excellent and even my local Sinclair station put an ad on for buying ads on the local MeTV saying "WJAC MeTV is the fastest growing channel in the area, put your ads on our channel today".

So why wouldn't stations want to keep MeTV as it is and just soak in the money from the insane amount of local commercials like mine areas compared to Antenna TV, which is a smaller station but airs way more national spots than local spots.

So many people go on MeTV and my local station's Facebook like "Why can't you just leave MeTV Programming alone?".

It's like stations have viewers so happy MeTV is in the area then they chop it all up and just make viewers furious, which I'd think they'd want to avoid.

This sort of nonsense is one of the two big reasons I have a seething hatred of local broadcasters. It's the big reason I started acquiring C-band satellite dishes, so I could watch network shows unencumbered by the decisions of the wannabe dictators that run local stations and decide what they think you should be able to watch. Satellite also does away with the other thing I hate about local broadcasters in my area, which is that they just love plastering all kinds of locally-generated graphics over the network picture, sometimes even reducing the network signal to a smaller box so they can fit local crap (and ads!) around it. Personally I'd be happy if every last local station disappeared, and all content was available via satellite or online. I know, local news and weather, etc. but that could be put online too. I have a feeling ATSC 3 will be the thing that kills many locals because by the time that rolls out, a large segment of the population will have become accustomed to watching their shows online, and they're not going to want to buy a new TV or a converter box just to watch crappy local stations. Even a lot of us baby boomers have discovered online content.

I think The CW has the right idea - make all your shows available online. The only issue with that is ridiculous ISP usage caps which I hope will eventually go away, but The CW is one of the networks that gets screwed with by local stations (often broadcast in standard def on a subchannel, even though their signal is high def). If networks like MeTV could go that route, even if only for live streaming of their network feed, a lot of people would probably watch that way rather than put up with the local stations screwing around with the feed. Not everyone can put up a satellite dish, but just about everyone in non-rural areas has access to the Internet these days. And I know the country dwellers will disagree with me about the value of local stations, but sooner or later almost everyone will get Internet access in some form, and why will we need crappy local stations then?

Reactions: jamesjimcie
I was thinking about how MeTV and Antenna TV seem to be operated so entirely different on local affiliates.

I was noticing how so many people report on Facebook and other places how local affiliates will slap reruns of news, sports games, and everything on to their MeTV.

I also noticed a few MeTV affiliates that will be combined with MyNetworkTV in an odd mashup channel.

Now not that I have not seen strange Antenna TV's and Sinclair I know puts American Sports Net games on some Antenna TVs.

Though my question, does MeTV allow for way more preempting or is it just they are unlucky to have it done way more to them?

I just find it strange that ratings show MeTV as doing excellent and even my local Sinclair station put an ad on for buying ads on the local MeTV saying "WJAC MeTV is the fastest growing channel in the area, put your ads on our channel today".

So why wouldn't stations want to keep MeTV as it is and just soak in the money from the insane amount of local commercials like mine areas compared to Antenna TV, which is a smaller station but airs way more national spots than local spots.

So many people go on MeTV and my local station's Facebook like "Why can't you just leave MeTV Programming alone?".

It's like stations have viewers so happy MeTV is in the area then they chop it all up and just make viewers furious, which I'd think they'd want to avoid.

Luckily none of that tomfoolery occurs on my local subchannels

Reactions: DWS44
ancient, I agree with the part about online.

To be honest, some networks like MeTV and Antenna TV unless it was some high amount, I could even see myself paying for unlimited online access to them.

This is coming from a person who barely pays for extra services.

Luckily none of that tomfoolery occurs on my local subchannels

That's how my Antenna TV station is which is lucky for me they are going to show many of the shows I want in 2017.

They never put school closing banners or anything on their subchannels.

Sinclair for the longest time did do school closing banners on MeTV but oddly since MeTV went wide screen I have not seen it since.

I think I am under a "Sinclair Curse".

From Jan 2015-Feb 2016 - had audio issues where pieces of audio would be missing and it would go silent.

From Feb 2016-Jul 2016 (when MeTV went Wide Screen), the audio was clippy/staticy.

It's finally completely normal audio now.

Yet I still deal with game pre-empts.

It's a curse that doesn't want me to get good copies of all the Carol Burnett.
or at least wants me to work really hard and for a long time.

If only MeTV aired two episodes :(.

It just seems like you get so happy the subchannel(s) you want are in your market and then you get more angry when they get ruined than if you never had access to the network.

I'm more furious at MeTV itself for the unending butchery of episodes.I swear an hour of Hogans Heroes takes about 30 minutes now,on the dvr,and that's if you run the credits.:glasses

I'm more furious at MeTV itself for the unending butchery of episodes.I swear an hour of Hogans Heroes takes about 30 minutes now,on the dvr,and that's if you run the credits.:glasses

Yes, I know what you mean.

I do find this a bummer, though it seems everybody is doing it like TBS, Comedy Central, Antenna TV, Cozi TV, etc, I believe have all been accused of doing the same thing.

I must admit I'd rather see whatever they show on MeTV than have totally random games shown that I have no idea how they are of local interest to this area.

I have to "count my lucky stars" as they say.

I was noticing at least one MyNetworkTV/MeTV affiliate that doesn't even show Carol Burnett or other shows at all due to MyNet or Locally Syndicated shows.

Also Dallas-Forth Worth afaik still doesn't show Carol Burnett at all due to a local channel rights issue.

So I guess it's better to have games once in a while wipe out my shows vs constant infomercials, locally syndicated stuff, or other that blocks my access to the shows I want constantly.

Do any of you have Buzzr TV? All game shows all the time. I like to look at the old b/w shows and I've notice they run those intact, but a half-hour show in a 45 minute time period. They will run the old commercials within the program and the run their commercial break. Also, they will interrupt a long segment to run another commercial break. (Not a natural break.)

When I was a young person I had no interest in dramas, but I am interested in watching the old Perry Mason shows. Not only do I get to see actors in roles they are not famous for, but character actors in the younger years. Had I known there WERE light moments in each episode when I was young I would've been a steady viewer back then. Perhaps I should go back and find the old network schedules to see what had caught my attention.

If only the breaks weren't four-minutes long. Yes, I can go channel surfing during that time, but who knows what I'd miss by not getting back to the show?

In my opinion, these networks should forego the established 30- and sixty-minute time periods and run the complete show along with their friggin' four-minute commercial breaks. I hate getting short-changed on entertainment. (The same thing with movies.!)

Mike

If only the breaks weren't four-minutes long. Yes, I can go channel surfing during that time, but who knows what I'd miss by not getting back to the show?

In my opinion, these networks should forego the established 30- and sixty-minute time periods and run the complete show along with their friggin' four-minute commercial breaks. I hate getting short-changed on entertainment. (The same thing with movies.!)

Mike

I do have Buzzr TV but it's on WHVL-LP and so far any cable company in the area refuses to carry it's subchannel.

Many cable companies aren't even carrying WHVL's new HD channel only offering customers the old lousy SD form.

Anyway, you hit the nail on the head with the commericals.

In fact even though I generally like MeTV, Antenna TV, This, etc, I cannot for the life of me stand the commercials.

I have to use a DVR for everything to skip the commericals and either convert to MP4 to save or watch & delete the show.

For the late night talk shows that I like (Fallon, Kimmel, & Colbert) I have to DVR to fast forward junk time consuming material to get to the monologue and skit stuff I want.

For local news it's like "Let's tease a huge story but show you tons of small boring stories long before we get to the main story."

And news media wonders why everybody just goes online to see the news they want to see quickly?

Though Antenna TV, I've seen them many times go to break too early.

You will see it being a "natural break" but oddly some of the previous scene's frames will be left over after the break.

When you are converting the episode to keep it's not a big deal but sort of weird.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts