Mexican service / replacement receiver?

ScottMX

Original poster
Jan 11, 2020
Tampa, FL
We have a long term rental in Mexico and split time between there are the US. The landlord for the Mexican property includes Dish service, which is bundled with the landline phone and Internet service. (Landlord pays the telephone company.) The receiver is an M31R (Echostar) that shows a 2014 copyright on the system info page. Smartcard is a Swiss Nagra AA-09; serial number begins with S 24. Again, this is Mexican Dish service - the channel lineup is Mexican, not US.

I'm wondering if I can replace the M31R with a used receiver from the US, reusing the current smartcard? I know I need to check and see that the receiver is not leased and if the old account was left in good standing. I'm not terribly concerned about features - I figure that just about anything decent that I find will be better than what I have.

Is this possible? The receiver would need to activate online/automatically, as I don't have the account credentials, and I'm still working on my Spanish.

Dish , I don't think you can use a dishnetwork receiver from the USA on the Dish Mexico service. Echostar makes receivers for Bell ( Canadian service ) , Dish Mexico , Dish ( USA ) and others but you can not mix and match across services. Remotes a lot of times work.

1578799118294.png

No Dish Mexico wouldnt be able to activate a USA receiver and smart cards are married to their receiver, so you couldnt even pull a smartcard out from one Dish receiver and put it in another one and expect it to work, not going to happen.
Your only choice is to replace the Mexican receiver with another or get a USA receiver and repoint the dish, depending on the receiver you may have to change the Dish and/or LNB. From what I remember Dish Mexico dishes are Red almost like DISH 500, but that was many moons ago since I've been to Mexico.

Sent from my SM-975U using the SatelliteGuys app!

You could buy and activate a Dish box in the US and then switch out your Dish MX box to the Dish US box.
It will have most of the US channels but only in standard definition.
Additionally, if you have a service address in one of the cities the 77W satellite carries, you would get those local channels in HD.

But, the program guide will only show the next half hour to hour or so of programming - so the guide is extremely limited (but in English).

The 77W channels can be seen here: DISH Network Channels by Transponder (Unofficial Listing)

Reactions: ScottMX

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)