Mgm-hd

That quote is very vague and it makes me wonder if the MGM channel would have the rights to anything that is showing on TCM. Back in the '80s, Krekorian went and sold off the name, real estate and MGM-UA library in three seperate transactions. At that time, Turner got the library. So many sales in recent years that I have lost track of who owns what.

I do notice that when I go to the MGMchannel.com page and look at what is showing in other countries, nothing before 1967 seems to show up. Of course that doesn't mean much because rights ownership in Germany has little to do with rights ownership in the US.

I do notice that when I go to the MGMchannel.com page and look at what is showing in other countries, nothing before 1967 seems to show up.

I didnt know this channel existed before it was talked about here. Checked the website out (chose Iceland) and Tom Jones is playing today. 1960. The Pride and the Passion later in the week 1957. Would be nice if they had an extended guide on the website.

I didnt know this channel existed before it was talked about here. Checked the website out (chose Iceland) and Tom Jones is playing today. 1960. The Pride and the Passion later in the week 1957. Would be nice if they had an extended guide on the website.

But take a look at Tom Jones on IMDB. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057590/companycredits

MGM had European distribution rights. UA had some american rights, but it isn't really clear who owns American distribution rights.

That's the point. MGM probably doesn't own the rights to their classic musicals and such, and I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed right there on TCM. Thus I guess I want TCM-HD, unless MGM is a renaming.

MGM will only air what they have not sold already as exclusive to others. For example, the 17 titles Bond movies that Voom acquired, you will not see in MGM.
Hi Sean, I can't remember, was Voom's acquisition a one-time showing or is it an exclusive for a period of time? Have we seen them again after the first initial showings?

That quote is very vague and it makes me wonder if the MGM channel would have the rights to anything that is showing on TCM. Back in the '80s, Krekorian went and sold off the name, real estate and MGM-UA library in three seperate transactions. At that time, Turner got the library. So many sales in recent years that I have lost track of who owns what.

I do notice that when I go to the MGMchannel.com page and look at what is showing in other countries, nothing before 1967 seems to show up. Of course that doesn't mean much because rights ownership in Germany has little to do with rights ownership in the US.

If I'm not mistaken, Warner owns the rights to pre-1965 movies after they bought out Turner.

S~

MGM-UA also distributes Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis, and some other TV series. Where might those show up in HD? Sounds like the MGM channel will exclusively be movies.

when Sony bought MGM they bought back alot of the old MGM movies. MGM HD is owned and operated by MGM/Sony so what is released on DVD by MGM/Sony will be able to play on this channel it's only got 2 offices in the whole world...NY and LA The stuff showing in the other countries will be carried over to the US version

Hi Sean, I can't remember, was Voom's acquisition a one-time showing or is it an exclusive for a period of time? Have we seen them again after the first initial showings?

It does not work that way. When a programmer pays a license for a movie (exclusive or not), you own it and just pay the showing fee. So these 17 titles are owned by Voom and they will only pay to air it in a given window. Anyone else who wants to show them will have to pay royalty fee to them as well.

my understanding was that the Turner Networks bought the rights for a specified number of years. Perhaps I am mistaken.

my understanding was that the Turner Networks bought the rights for a specified number of years. Perhaps I am mistaken.

Not sure. Wikipedia seems to indicate that Turner owns the library. It says he kept it when he sold the rest of the studio to Sony.

According to the articles, Sony owns and distributes all post 86 MGM material through Fox.

Turner owns and distributes all pre-1986 MGM, all pre-1948 Warner, most of RKO and some UA material.

links:
Turner Entertainment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, this all depends on how reliable the wikipedia material is.

MGM to Launch HD Channel
This is the sort of news us HD junkies just can’t get enough of, sometime “by the end of the year” MGM plans to launch a stand-alone high definition movie channel. Similar to HDNet Movies and Universal HD, the channel will air un-cut, uncensored and hopefully aspect-correct films from MGM’s 4,100 title library. According to TV Week 1,200 of those 4,100 titles have already been transferred to high definition.

MGM’s, Executive Vice President, Worldwide Digital Media (Douglas Lee) states that "We've been developing the concept for the past year. We've talked to a lot of cable, satellite and telco companies, and people have been receptive." Lee didn’t give specifics on which providers would offer the channel but DirecTV and Comcast should be considered front-runners.

Some of the potential titles to air on MGM HD might include films such as ‘The Usual Suspects’, ‘Hannibal’, The Rocky franchise, ‘RoboCop’, ‘Mulholland Falls’, ‘Poltergeist' and of course the majority of the James Bond franchise. MGM also controls the ‘United Artists’ library, a majority of the ‘Orion Pictures’ film and television library and the pre-1996 Samuel Goldwyn library. Good news indeed for high definition enthusiasts

there seemed to be some debate on what would be shown, this maybe already on here

what are the chances dish net is going to get this channel.

Does it really matter so much who 'owns' the movie? I see the Turner logo in front of movies on other channels a lot of the time which leads me to believe that they are selling/leasing the rights to other channels from time to time.