GEOSATpro Micro HD Taking A Dump?

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
Well, for about a week or so one of my Micro HD receivers has been acting up. What it's doing is the picture is going on and off in like 3 or 4 second intervals and it's getting hot as a pistol, ie, measured the heat sink with my IR heat gun and it was 165*??? The heat doesn't start building in it until I plug in the HDMI cable then it starts heating up very quickly. I've had it connected to two different systems and it does the same thing so it's not anything to do with associated hardware.

Anyone have an educated guess what's happening and if it's reparable? :(

It seems that there is a weakness with the HDMI chip on the MicroHD. I know a couple other units that the HDMI chip has failed. Everything else works per usual but no more HDMI :(

Usually the cause was a failure of a SMD in the HDMI path. Been a while, but I think it was a .5 cent 0605 type capacitor near the HDMI port.

HDMI port failure is quite common in in STBs and TVs as it acts as a fuseable link between components that have switching power supplies with no ground. (earthing). The HDMI path is the weak link and typically is the first point of failure during an electrical event.

It seems that there is a weakness with the HDMI chip on the MicroHD. I know a couple other units that the HDMI chip has failed. Everything else works per usual but no more HDMI :(

Hummm, and the A/V port isn't working at all, not even a flicker. I guess this one is done then!

I'll have to start scanning fleabay a few times a week to see if I can find another one. Meanwhile, the old reliable Openbox S9 can fill in until I find one. And THAT my friends is why you NEVER, EVER, THROW ANYTHING AWAY!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)