GEOSATpro Micro HD vs X2 Premium blindscan

shopman

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
There seems to be some bickering going on here as to which receiver is the best performer in regard to blindscan performance so I decided to conduct my own controlled study. No fancy videos here, just some quick results. Dish is an old Orbitron SX10 with an ortho feed running two Norsat 8115's. Each receiver was tested using the same system; dish, switch, cable and all. I chose Intelsat 21 at 58w for the test. Both receivers are running the latest approved (not test) firmware from each manufacturer. The results:

Micro HD in Normal mode:
40 tv
19 radio
2 minutes, 45 seconds to complete the scan

Micro HD in Detailed mode:
56 tv
23 radio
3 minutes, 3 seconds to complete the scan

X2 Premium
53 tv
62 radio
2 minutes, 24 seconds to complete the scan.

I don't have time right now to go into more detail and will break it down as time permits but I encourage others with the same receivers to conduct similar studies. Preliminary results show that yes, the X2 is slightly faster and fairly accurate by comparison but what was more interesting to me was the difference in radio feeds detected. Looking forward to seeing what others find with their systems.

Been doing the same thing today but stopped right now due to heavy rains. I can tell you this though before I post my results and that is the micro is way faster than some others are stating that it is.

58w - 7.5 Sami - PLL-LNBF Sample- :D
(Cleared all TPs before each scan as the X2 Blind Scan also scans preprogrammed TPs in addition.)

MicroHD in Normal mode:
22 TPs found (12-H / 10-V)
276 TV (43 in clear)
26 Radio (21 in clear)
In 2:32

MicroHD in Detailed Mode:
25 TPs found (13-H / 12-V)
329 TV (53 in clear)
27 Radio ( 22 in clear)
In 3:58

X2
29 TPs (14-H / 15-V)
333 TV (53 in clear)
63 Radio (62 in clear)
In 2:51

The microHD did not detect TP Freq. 4131. This accounts for 37 radio channels. Was this TP also missed in your test?

I am curious why this frequency does not scan. This test has provided good results that we can use to improve scanning! Thanks for starting!

That confused me, hehe, the OP musta been scanning FREE only, to get 40-50channels on that satellite. I know the last time I scanned 58w it was FULL of channels, mostly scrambled though. A good test for any receiver!

A little more info. Yes, I was scanning for only free channels(I'm only interested in what I can see) and I also deleted all transponders from prior scans in both receivers so it would be a fair test. The radio transponder that the Micro HD failed to detect was indeed 4131mhz. I'll conduct some more testing as time permits and report the results here. If there are any requests let me know and I'll try and oblige.

One more quick test so comparison can be made with Brian's results. Cleared all TP's from each receiver prior to scan and scanned for everything on Intelsat 21:

MHD in normal mode:
286 tv
62 radio (it found 4131mhz this time)
Scanned in 2:50

MHD in detailed mode:
335 tv
28 radio (missed 4131mhz)
Scanned in 3:16

X2
332 tv
52 radio
Scanned in 2:59

Here is a fun one to add:

The GEOSATpro HDVR1200 which is based on the same chipset as the X2:

GEOSATpro HDVR1200
35 transponders (17-H / 18-V)
335 TV (55 fta)
63 Radio (62 fta)
Scan Time: 2:54

Will post up a video of this scan when I get home.

A few members have the new beta FTA file for the HDVR1200. We expect to release the official FTA firmware version next week.

Currently sold on the Glorystar.tv website. Have sold about 5k units already. Will be added to SatelliteAV.com next week.

Getting good reports from the beta testers on the FTA firmware prerelease. Will start a new thread so not to go to far off-topic on this informational thread.

The above times don't give either receiver the 2:1 or 3:1 advantage previously reported.
I suspect the deck is stacked.
Probably not on purpose.
However, each satellite is (unfortunately) unique, and could bias these tests.

This is a little off topic, but since we are comparing the X2 to the MicroHD I am wondering if anyone notices an issue with the SD channels looking a lot worse then they do on the MicroHD? Its only the SD channels, the HD channels look fine and as far as my eye can tell equal in HD between both boxes, yet the SD quality is off on the X2.

I am wondering if its only me, maybe a have a bad box or perhaps its something with the X2 chipset.

Scott the last software seems to have improved that problem, the SD channels do look better to me, but as noted it might just be the result I expected. But I still get an occasional USALS glitch moving from one sat to another, yesterday the audio on TuffTV just cut completely off after about 35min, and sometimes that little box that says "No information" pops up and won't go away without a reboot. Considering going back to the Apr software mine came with. Overall though I think the last firmware is a bit better.

Scott, the deinterlacing issues affecting 480i and 576i source video are an issue with the Novatek chipset. This has not been resolved with either the X2 Premium or the GEOSATpro HDVR1200. Personally, the SD video quality is poor and the incorrect deinterlace processing is more evident on some channels. A great comparison channel is a credit roll or any contrasting hard edge on G-19, 3ABN English.

We have been working closely with Novatek engineers on solving the deinterlace issue for the past 6 months. While a resolution is pending, it has not been released for any developer. Unfortunately, the solution may only be available on a chip revision and not via update.

This has been a major reason that we have not officially released the HDVR1200 for FTA market. We maybe try to hard for perfection instead of turning users into lab rats and guinea pigs. :D

At this time, ALI chipsets provide the best SD deinterlacing for consumer STBs. MStar are the worst and Novatek falls in between. I'll capture a split screen next week for side by side comparison of the PQ.

Thanks for the technical information! I like hearing the x-planation of things, even though I don't always fully understand all the terms.

At this time, ALI chipsets provide the best SD deinterlacing for consumer STBs. MStar are the worst and Novatek falls in between. I'll capture a split screen next week for side by side comparison of the PQ.

Great, will do the same when we have the chance with the miniMe v.s. the microHD as we have two identical TV's side by side on the wall here in our lab. :D Any other good test channels other than 3ABN English?

Regards,

PwrSurge

AzBox Canada
AzBox United States

Here's another interesting test. AMC 9 C band at 83w. All TP's erased from each receiver prior to scan, scan is for all channels:

Micro HD Normal mode:
1 tv(3812v)
0 radio

3:32 scan time

Micro HD Detailed mode:
0 tv
0 radio

6:17 scan time

X2 Premium
4 tv (3818v, 3814v, 3811v, 3806v)
0 radio

1:08 scan time

Scott, the deinterlacing issues affecting 480i and 576i source video are an issue with the Novatek chipset. This has not been resolved with either the X2 Premium or the GEOSATpro HDVR1200. Personally, the SD video quality is poor and the incorrect deinterlace processing is more evident on some channels. A great comparison channel is a credit roll or any contrasting hard edge on G-19, 3ABN English.

We have been working closely with Novatek engineers on solving the deinterlace issue for the past 6 months. While a resolution is pending, it has not been released for any developer. Unfortunately, the solution may only be available on a chip revision and not via update.

This has been a major reason that we have not officially released the HDVR1200 for FTA market. We maybe try to hard for perfection instead of turning users into lab rats and guinea pigs. :D

I find this very interesting - - - I'm really considering the 1200 to add to my FTA setup - - - but most of what I watch is in SD. Is this a technical issue or just how the different chipsets handle deinterlacing?

I also don't record much but I scan ALOT - - - that is why the faster scanning of the 1200 is attractive to me.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts