GEOSATpro Micro "skipping" some transponders during blind scan ???

tekjunkie02

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
n.fla
I have been having some problem with my micro, it sometimes "skips" some transponders on a blind scan.
I can go back and do a manual scan on the individual transponder(s) and it will then scan in. It's kinda like the Signal/Quality levels are not coming up fast enough and the micro just skips over them.
Sometimes it scans the whole satellite to end up with no program found, I can then open the transponder list, verify that signal and quality is there, have it scan that transponder and it does then find the channel(s).

Would it possibly have anything to do with the fact that those transponders and channels are already scanned into memory?
If so, shouldn't a blind scan indeed be "blind" and scan whatever it finds, regardless?

But, I'm thinking the problem is most likely that the signal and quality levels sometimes "stick" and sometimes are slow to "pop in".... any ideas on why that happens, what causes it?

Thanks,

What version of firmware are you running? Are you having this problem on all birds? What is your dish setup?

Transponders and services that are skipped during a default Blind Scan - Normal are often found in the Blind Scan - Detailed mode. In the Detailed and Transponder Search modes, the transponder tables and services are "analyzed" with extended time-outs. Personally, I will Blind Scan a transponder in both Normal and Detail modes and then also perform a Satellite search of the listed TPs when building a complete channel list.

Transponders with large or incorrectly built tables are often problematic and take longer to log or often do not log. An example is AMC8 3951. Some scans will log 128 channels while repeats might only log a few channels. Usually the first scan does not log any channels, but repeated scans will eventually catch portions of the tables and list over a thousand channels!

Undersized dishes often take longer to lock onto signals and display Signal Quality readings.

It is also important to verify that the reflector is set and the "Dish Moving" disappears before the scanning starts.

Last edited:
I'm on the 12-05-2012 release, the newer ones only address issues that do not concern me, so I didn't bother to upgrade.

It seems to be random, but I'm not sure. I was scanning a few satellites yesterday and noticed it, it happened several times, and with different sats, but each time, S and Q were there and I could do a manual TP scan.

This was on the 6 foot c-band only dish. I hooked the Azbox Ultra up and it scanned everything, and a little more on some...sorry didn't make any notes, but I'll go back and try again... it's raining here now, so maybe later. Thanks,

Brian, above reply was to post before yours.... Thanks for your info, I remember you saying that before, now that you said it again;) sorry, that might have been it.

About the "dish moving" thing, isn't that built into the code, I mean doesn't the unit wait for that before it starts to scan?

When "Dish Moving" disappears from the screen the scan is initiated. Often linear actuators with G or V-boxes take longer to move across large distances of the arc. In this scenerio, the dish might not be set when the "Dish Moving" display times out and the scan is initiated while the dish is still in motion.

No need to delete existing transponders before a Blind Scan unless you want to see what transponders are being logged during that specific scan.

The microHD can log thousands of transponders,so there is little chance that a hobbyist will ever run out of memory when scanning in North America.

I have a similar experience. When I search thepre-programmed Ku band TP’s on any given satellite, (with non-motorized 90cmdish) I can receive a strong signal and programming. However when I do a blindscan (detailed or normal) the search results are negative with nothing found. Firmware version in the info panel appears tobe from 1-22-2013.
The GeoSat microHD is a great unit. Easy to use andunderstand. It is light years beyond the cheap X2 box I was using when I firstbegan my reception experiments. This summer I will introduce a larger dish forc-band.

Thanks,
Pi314

What do you mean "nothing found" during a blind scan?

Do you mean that you erased all transponders and the transponder is not found?

or

The transponders were not erased, but the channels not found?

There are many reasons for both, so let's first narrow down to the issue.

I attempted to repeat and document my observations from the other night.

My dish is locked on to 125W with all PBS channels coming in strong:

Conducted factory reset to start from scratch.

Selected 125W -Ku from satellite list and set the LNB LO to 9750.

Conducted Blind Scan - Detailed and Normal.

At the end of each blind scan the message appeared "Notice: No program Found"

I then conducted Pre-Programmed TP scan.

Several TP's appeared with PBS programming.

I am very happy with the microHD it is working quite nicely, I am just a little confused with the blind scan results.

Thanks!
Pi314

Your choice of the LO setting is definitely wrong. No receiver will find correct transponder frequencies or channels with this setting!

125w satellite has no active frequencies below 11.7ghz. When you select LO frequency of 9750, all preprogrammed transponder frequencies will be off by 1000mhz! You are telling the receiver to look for frequencies where no frequencies exist.

The key to proper scanning is to select the correct LO frequency setting that matches the correct satellite frequency band and the LNBF type.

What type of LNBF are you using? Standard with LO 10750 or Universal with LOs 9750/10600? You must match the receiver LO setting to the LNBF LO.

The LO 9750 low range of an universal type LNBF covers satellite frequencies 10.7ghz to 11.7ghz with 22khz turned OFF. The 10600 high band range covers 11.7 - 12.75ghz triggered by 22khz being turned ON.

Last edited:
Yes, of course my LO settings were wrong. As usual the most obvious and simplest setting threw me off. Corrective action taken with positive results!!!

Thanks again,
Pi314

I am seeing the same problem. I have a Fortec 1.2 on a StabH120 - I get great signal 70% Q or more on all sats in all weather with a GeosatPro PLL LNB.
I just did a factory reset on my MicroHD, picked my satellites, setup USALS on all sats and set my LAT LONG, moved the dish to 83w. Went through the transponders to make sure I was seeing 70% quality on the RTV channels. Then went to single sat scan for 83w. Chose FTA, Normal scan. No channels found. Repeated with detailed scan - no channels found. Scanned with preprogramed TP's - found the 3 RTV channels. Firmware is GSPMHD_0.19_01312013
Sat list is 1-139w_microHD_ChList_2122013.

Not sure what to advise as none of the bench receivers skip TP Frequency 11735 during a normal Blind Scan. Does the signal Lock immediately or does it take awhile to lock?

Maybe try deleting all transponder on AMC9 and perform only a Blind Scan using normal mode?

skipping??

i have a similar experience with sat mex 8, i can scan normal,with the same no transponders found, then do a detailed scan, same message, then do a pre programmed scan and pick up many more frequiencies. running 2,13 code with ten foot c,ku dish. using micro

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)