Please reply by conversation.

CharredPC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 21, 2005
Lakebay, WA
... and it's up!

Will need alot of tuning and peaking tommorrow, but just couldn't wait to get it up :D I guess that's one sign I'm an FTA addict; another is that the final pictures bring a tear to my eye. Is there anything more beautiful that seeing multiple satellite dishes gazing thoughtfully up at the stars... and realizing they're on YOUR house? ;)

Fun things I've learned thus far in my MicroBUD adventure:

1. 1.2m is BIG. Like, REALLY big (see first picture).
2. My SG2100 DOES move the dish from one end of the arc to the other and back without locking up or getting an error light. Not that it moves very quickly :rolleyes:
3. Setting up a dish like this by yourself is insane.
4. I am insane.
5. Directions included doesn't mean they're always helpful.
6. There are always enough spare parts left over to cause panic.
7. Patriot 1.2m dishes fit ok on STAB motors; they don't work on SG2100's.
8. Anyone who recycles old Dish Network parts to make the above work is insane.
9. See #4.
10. Neighbors think you're insane climbing around on your roof at midnight installing what looks like something a rather unsubtle foreign spy might use.
11. Wives do not appreciate the door being open and shut 35 times while running in for this or that.

I'm sure I'll have lots more interesting facts tommorrow, if I get a chance to try it out. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures. The Patriot came shrink-wrapped and banded to a large wooden pallet. Anyone in the Utah area need some firewood?

Attachments

• patriot1.jpg
    patriot1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 196
  • patriot2.jpg
    patriot2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 221
  • patriot3.jpg
    patriot3.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 198
  • patriot4.jpg
    patriot4.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 181
  • patriot5.jpg
    patriot5.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 215
  • patriot6.jpg
    patriot6.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 230
Have fun with yours...I am having fun with mine! You may want to consider a polar mount with a BUD accuator. I am going to retrofit mine as the Stab HH120 just does not cut it.

rayydio said:
You may want to consider a polar mount with a BUD accuator. I am going to retrofit mine as the Stab HH120 just does not cut it.

Already considering it ;) Just need to find a place to pick up a cheap polar mount/actuator/v-box etc. The SG2100 is just temporary :D

I purchased my polar mount from Dow Electronics. It cost about $75 and it is made for a 1.2 m Channel Master dish. I have seen pictures of it modified to work on a Patriot dish. My 18" actuator was purchased from ivystoneplace for $19. PSB has the VBox. Good job on your setup.

Well, I got Ku set up on it. The motor isn't strong enough to pull the dish back up if I got too far in either direction, but I'm watching The Tube again, with the highest quality ever :D If it weren't for the Twinhan's stingy numbers, it'd even be impressive. I picked up a BroadLogic card at the thrift store last week; it has much better numbers (77%S/100%Q instead of the Twinhan's 66%/82%). It's too hot outside to do much with C-Band right now, and I need to figure out a way to mount the lnb. No, I don't have any zip ties :rolleyes:

Here is a pic of 3 1.2 meter dishes. The install was a pain :D

Attachments

• DSC00047.JPG
    DSC00047.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 212
VERY nice!

What kind of LNB's are they?

Look like Dual DBS Circular polarized stacked!

Channel Master dishes look so cool!

I've got the proper feedhorn for mine now, took the Fortec LNBF off and I'm experimenting with great results!

I haven't gotten around to doing anything else with my dish, except curse at it becuase it's not currently working. Real life has gotten in the way, and I'm swamped under family, other projects, and prior commitments :p

I'd love some snapshots of how other MicroBUD owners have mounted the C lnb on there; I have the proper plastic holder, but it doesn't attach to the arm like the Ku holder does. I tried a quick lashing-on of the lnb, but couldn't get it tight enough just using spare wire as rope. And again, I don't have any zip-ties.

Two words:

Hose Clamp.

Don't forget to pay your royalties to Iceberg for the methodology ;) .

Your support arms may be in the way though.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)