GEOSATpro microHD - 32APSK / MIS / VCM Support Announcement

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
We regret to report that we will not be supporting reception of 32APSK, MIS or VCM on the microHD platform.

After extensive testing and working with ALI and our factory engineer, we have decided to cease development for reception of 32APSK, MIS and VCM. Due to unforeseen technical limitations of a hardware component, we have experienced issues that prevent the inclusion of these advanced features in the final manufactured product. On a closed bench, we have completed successful testing. In real world transmissions, we experienced signal variables that prevented reliable reception.

We regret if the failure to support these signal types causes any inconvenience. We remain committed to further development of the microHD in many other areas to provide an excellent experience for both advanced hobbyists and FTA beginners.

No additional information at this time regarding future development for reception of these signal types.

Thanks for your understanding!

very bad news for me
i bought it for acm/vcm
next time I will be more careful

Last edited:
Sorry, we had purposely not include these signal variations in the microHD specifications as they had only been bench tested using an optimized closed system modulator. We shared the possibilities before we produced the reality. We exhausted our attempts to provide reliable reception for 32APSK and VCM in the real world with the many variables of table builds, etc.

Please note: ACM is based on a 2-way negotiation between the uplink/downlink and will likely never be supported for the hobbyist end user who is without the return feed to negotiate with the encoder.

Sorry, we had purposely not include these signal variations in the microHD specifications as they had only been bench tested using an optimized closed system modulator. We shared the possibilities before we produced the reality. We exhausted our attempts to provide reliable reception for 32APSK and VCM in the real world with the many variables of table builds, etc.
You have choosen for that cases wrong chip vendor.
Other vendors give ready dokumentation to their customers ,so you don t
need to make much experiences.

Bye the way.... hobbyists have integrate MIS reception under E2.
But you need Spark ST7111 Linux Box,because of the demod.
Russian OpenAR-P-Team have done this,based on the big work of
"Crazycat".

Apsk16/32 CCM can be received by stbs like Clarke.Tech etc. with Montage demodulator.

Please note: ACM is based on a 2-way negotiation between the uplink/downlink and will likely never be supported for the hobbyist end user who is without the return feed to negotiate with the encoder.
Not true,2-way negotiation is an option and is not "really" needed to get /lock the transponder itself.

Not true,2-way negotiation is an option and is not "really" needed to get /lock the transponder itself.

You are correct for tuning, but not for viewing.... We were working on providing a solution to provide continous and reliable viewing, not only a TP Lock. :rolleyes:

Each time the ACM signal is renegotiated, a system without 2-way communication will need to re-tune to adjust the signal parameter.

So yes, not necessary to initially lock the TP, but necessary to to receive the services after the ACM negotiated parameter is modified on the encoder.

You have choosen for that cases wrong chip vendor.
Other vendors give ready dokumentation to their customers ,so you don t
need to make much experiences.

Bye the way.... hobbyists have integrate MIS reception under E2.
But you need Spark ST7111 Linux Box,because of the demod.
Russian OpenAR-P-Team have done this,based on the big work of
"Crazycat".

Apsk16/32 CCM can be received by stbs like Clarke.Tech etc. with Montage demodulator.

You are correct for tuning, but not for viewing.... We were working on providing a solution to provide continous and reliable viewing, not only a TP Lock. :rolleyes:

Each time the ACM signal is renegotiated, a system without 2-way communication will need to re-tune to adjust the signal parameter.

So yes, not necessary to initially lock the TP, but necessary to to receive the services after the ACM negotiated parameter is modified on the encoder.

Triumph-the-Insult-Comic-Dog.jpg

You satellite nerds... Bore Me!!

I kid, I kid... :D

is there a danger here? are we about to lose our tv cause everyone will be converting? a quick search does not show many boxes that can do these, but a pc card that does some.

Edit, on the other hand, there are many ways to encrypt so whats the difference anyways.

Last edited:
"If you choose not to move forward today because you worry about what may change tomorrow, you will be left with yesterday" - Brian Gohl

I just got one of these boxes today. It tends to make me upset when these boxes cannot keep up with the tech changes. I might just return this microHD. I hate wasting my money and I don't want a bunch of boxes laying around that can't do everything as promised (including the Azbox).

So what are you trying to receive in North America ( other than 4:2:2)? There have been a few 32APSK feeds spotted, but a 32APSK feed is more rare than goldfish wearing army boots. :D

I have yet to see a MIS feed and there have only been a few VCM test feeds. Much talk about signals that are extremely rare and mainly found in Europe. We are talking about receiving signals that the majority of NA uplinkers don't even own an encoder to transmit.

The only viable option that reliably logs these signals is a TBS6925 PCI-e card. Bought one and love it, but only have needed it for one feed that the Prof 7301 couldn't lock. Maybe more feeds will come along to warrant the big cash outlay, but now it is just the joy of owning the newest toy. The Euro forums have a few threads about potential STB options, but no Swissknife STB as Nolipa suggests.

Last edited:
The only viable option that reliably logs these signals is a TBS6925 PCI-e card. Bought one and love it, but only have needed it for one feed that the Prof 7301 couldn't lock.

Yes! I love mining these little gems out of threads. I've been wondering for months if the new fangled TBS6925 card is worth the huge price tag compared to the Prof 7301. One feed....probably not worth it if I need the cash for building the media PC in the first place :)

There are lots of esoteric modulation schemes out there. As someone who uplinks signals for a living, I've run the span from analog to DVB-S2 8PSK. We have very few requests for higher order modulation. ESPN is one exception who continues to push the envelope.....there looking to push 32 channels of audio now! I commend Brian and SatelliteAV for developing a very cost conscious receiver that does just about anything you could want.

If any of you ever have questions about uplinking, please feel free to PM me with your question(s). I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

is there a danger here? are we about to lose our tv cause everyone will be converting?

no immediate danger - the vast majority of video and audio is within the reach of the microhd and a channel editor for it and should be for years. it's just one or two "oddballs" that the microhd can't receive and those are occasional feeds anyway.

I've been wondering for months if the new fangled TBS6925 card is worth the huge price tag compared to the Prof 7301.

I think it's worth it for signal investigations and for processing some data feeds, but that's just me. ;)

for the vast majority of FTA'ers, having a 6925 is bigtime overkill when you have the microhd or under $100 PC cards that do DVB-S2 modes that are commonly used for video/audio.

I love my 6925, there are more and more ACM/VCM showing up all the time, but almost all data. Im pretty much only interested in satellite investigation though, its pretty rare I actually watch something. I agree with skysurfer, at this time an $80 pc card will tune pretty much 99% of anything watchable up there.

UDL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)