GEOSATpro microHD - Endless Boot issue yuck!

pacificrim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
West Coast Canada
As the title suggests, my microhd is in a boot loop after I removed a sat from the list and the scanned in channel was on. This is a stupid problem. Any ideas?

What firmware version/date is loaded?

Using satellite list that was loaded with firmware?

Perform a Factory Reset then remove power source after loading firmware?

Once the receiver is looping, you will need to use a serial cable to load a .udf file to replace the corrupted file. See the FAQ above for TTL/USB User Database File updating.

And the other questions...

1. Are you using the satellite list that was loaded with firmware? Or Load you own .udf file?

2. Did you perform a Factory Reset then remove power source after loading firmware?

I agree, but might have been avoided...

3rd time asking. Your reply will help us identify the cause. Maybe the update was installed properly, maybe not...

1. Are you using the satellite list that was loaded with firmware? Or load your own .udf file from a previous firmware version?

2. Did you perform a Factory Reset then remove power source after loading firmware?

Its been months since I did anything, but I believe that the sat list is what came with it and I did pull the power after the factory reset. What does that have to do with what happened today?

We have heard no reports of the receiver looping due to a corrupted .udf with version 13 or higher firmware using the attached satellite list if a factory reset and power cycle was done after loading the firmware.

Would be interested in the specifics of what was deleted and the sequence leading up to this event.

By chance, was the channel list edited and reloaded to the receiver? Need to confirm that the channel list is the original and wasn't saved and reloaded or an older channel list from an older firmware version.

Based on my searches before I posted, I suspected that I would have to order a usb ttl serial cable. I just hoped that wasn't the case. This sucks.

Updates can be made via satellite, serial or USB. Corrupted user database recovery is only possible via the serial connection. USB recovery is not possible as the port cannot be initialized as the receiver is not able to boot and launch the driver. Serial port connection is a native level interface.

Based on my searches before I posted, I suspected that I would have to order a usb ttl serial cable. I just hoped that wasn't the case. This sucks.

You don't HAVE to buy a serial cable and do it yourself. You could always send your receiver back to your dealer for a warranty repair. Others have done it, but it's up to you how you want to handle it. The cables aren't very expensive.

I have no intention of mailing it anywhere. I do stuff wayyyy harder than this all day long, however not being able to grab a ttl cable off my shelf is my current problem. That and I shouldn't have given away my S10.
Question - the satellite firmware download - does it grab a new sat list or just the firmware?

I have no intention of mailing it anywhere. I do stuff wayyyy harder than this all day long, however not being able to grab a ttl cable off my shelf is my current problem. That and I shouldn't have given away my S10.
Question - the satellite firmware download - does it grab a new sat list or just the firmware?

You download whatever file you need, could be firmware or just user db file. In this case, you need a fresh default .udf file to fix the boot loop issue. Loading the complete firmware does NOT fix the boot loop issue once it's corrupted like this...

See post #2 for your specific issue, but all the info is good to know. http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/291053-First-Aid-Serial-Update-via-Internal-TTL-Header

Last edited:

Firmware updates include a satellite list. The satellite list is not fully installed unless the factory reset and the power source is removed. The final steps of performing the factory reset and removing the power clears the existing user data and completely installs the new default user data.

I know I power cycled it, and just a couple weeks ago did another factory reset. Beyond that, my recollection is vague. Anyway, I'll find a cable online somewhere.

I've called a couple places on the mainland with no luck.

Thanks Brian. I was all set to buy it until I saw the $20 shipping on the cable. I guess I can get screwed buying the wrong one or screwed buying the right one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)