GEOSATpro microHD EPG Question.

avenger

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Slidell, Louisiana
Today was a day in which I decided to play with the mikcroHD. While doing this I noticed and understood much better some of the functions of the microHD.:).

With the Owner's manual on hand I went and followed some of the sections that I was not too familiar with.

Most of the questions that I had were mostly clearly answered, and by following the Manual it made it much easier.

But.....I still have some questions that I was not able to get answered.

I came across some satellite channels that indicated that the EPG function was available..... On the K/u band the 103W AMC1 satellite had the most EPG channels offered, and I was going to try and see if I could view what are some of the future programs offered on these channels.

I regret to say that I was disappointed on not seing on the Tv screen any names of the future programs showing.....Am I missing something, a step, a button click, or anything that keeps the microHD from letting me view what is going to be shown within the next half or even one hour from now....What I am rambling about is that there is/was/were no indication or names showing on the lines next to the channel names and underneath their time slots.:confused:

As always thanking you for your help.

avenger.

Many channels false flag that EPG program information is being transmitted, but there is actually no data or they may transmit ATSC formatted data.

Not able to review 103w EPG right now, so unable to comment on if valid data is provided in the DVD tables.

A great example of EPG integration is on Ebru TV (Galaxy 19 KU).

It is populated with current and usually correct data for at least 7 days in advance. The remote keys will navigate you through the EPG screen, future and past programs, display basic descriptions and allow timer setting, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks Brian,

After reviewing more Satellite Channels, Galaxy 19 Ku has the most EPG designated channels. The ones that interested me the most were on located at 103w, lets say that this satellite caught my attention at the moment, I have been playing with that satellite for at least a week trying to maintain the COZI channel, which I resently lost due to that screwy Skew.

Will take a look at the Ebru Tv channel EPG at Galaxy 19 KU.

Thank You.

Found the Ebru TV channel at Galaxy 19 KU.... Did not see any sign of an EPG program information at all.

I am pressing the EPG on the remote but nothing is being shown for the past or future of those channels, everything after the channels names is/are blank.

Read the manual section for the EPG, followed instructions as written, nothing happened. Either the Ebru TV channel EPG function is not active, or I am missing or missunderstanding a step in the reading of the instructions.

Thanks.

Ebru is transmitting EPG flag and data.

20130118001945.jpg

The channel must be tuned for a few seconds to start populating EPG.

Attached is a AVI file showing a few channels and EPG.

The first channel shows no EPG flag or data transmitted

2nd Channel Shows EPG flag and data transmitted, Press EPG key to open EPG screen, Look at a few EPG basic descriptions, Schedule a DVR Recording, Verify the DVR timer setting.

3rd channel shows EPG Flag, but no EPG data transmitted.

Video Clip may not have encoded right. Let me know if you see enough to understand.

Attachments

• microHD EPG Samples.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 155
Brian,

This morning the Ebru TV channel had active EPG function, as I mentioned before, this channel last night did not showed any EPG information, go figure... I went and searched all of the channels from Galaxy 19 KU, there are a lot of channels with the "false flags" as you called them.

Wrote down a list of the channels with the active EPG flag for future refference....Will keep on playing/working with the microHD and will search for more interesting things to do with this receiver.

This is a very good receiver, and intend to use it for a long time to come. I am sure that I will be asking more question as I continue to explore this receiver.

Thanks

avenger.

This is typical for DVB EPG.

EPG data populates as the channel is viewed. When the channel is first tuned, only a few program names for Current and Next may be displayed. Over the next few minutes or more, EPG data is streamed from the satellite to provide future time/date information and descriptions.

The update speed is dependent on the amount of bandwidth the uplinker is using to push the EPG data.

Since the micro does not connect to the net for like a custom Geosat made guide would it be possible for you guys to uplink guide data for download or is the sat download just for firmware? Would be cool it you guys can do that, even if I had to pay like $12-$25 a year for a guide sub through a website so only the receivers singed up would load it, would be pretty slick if possible. If not well, I hope the next model will have a web based custom Geosat provided guide, even if we had to sub to it, I know I would :)

Not aware of a web or satellite xml or rss data package for the FTA channels. What service provides that? What satellite receiver accesses that data?

I know some computer media center software packages which have very limited FTA EPG data available only for non-commercial license private use.

We are about two or three months away to launching the Glorystar channel EPG TV guide service via the G-19 satellite. This service will have data for about 40 of the Christian channels. This data costs about $800 per month, we estimate about $1000 per month staff time to input flat file data and the satellite streaming is approximately $1200. $36,000 investment per year for 40 FTA channels...

Imagine the cost and time to support hundreds of channels! If the channels aren't bundled with a subscription, there is little financial incentive. Unfortunately most FTA channels don't compile EPG data, so the availability of this type of service via any distribution method is very unlikely.

If Globecast World Vision doesn't see a business model in providing EPG for their paying subscribers, it probably wont happen. :(

Not actually an EPG question but in the same line of though..... While looking at 113 W Satmex6, there was a flag inside the info box that I have never had noticed before, a red circle with "TTX" inside, what is it and how does this function works?

Thanks.

TTX = Teletext

Teletext is a full screen text display on a single or multiple pages. The user controls the page display.

To activate/deactivate TTX display:
Menu>>> System Setup>>> OSD Setting>>> Teletext>>> ON/OFF

This is most likely a false flag accidently turned on in the encoder by the uplinker. Teletext is not used much anymore and was rarely used in this hemisphere.

Not aware of a web or satellite xml or rss data package for the FTA channels. What service provides that? What satellite receiver accesses that data?

I know some computer media center software packages which have very limited FTA EPG data available only for non-commercial license private use.

We are about two or three months away to launching the Glorystar channel EPG TV guide service via the G-19 satellite. This service will have data for about 40 of the Christian channels. This data costs about $800 per month, we estimate about $1000 per month staff time to input flat file data and the satellite streaming is approximately $1200. $36,000 investment per year for 40 FTA channels...

Imagine the cost and time to support hundreds of channels! If the channels aren't bundled with a subscription, there is little financial incentive. Unfortunately most FTA channels don't compile EPG data, so the availability of this type of service via any distribution method is very unlikely.

If Globecast World Vision doesn't see a business model in providing EPG for their paying subscribers, it probably wont happen. :(

True and if 3000 micro owners subbed to a guide for $25 a year it would be $75000, I am not talking about every single channel but basically like, rtv's, ions, this tv and stuff like that. I am sure many would sub to it, I know I would.

True and if 3000 micro owners subbed to a guide for $25 a year it would be $75000, I am not talking about every single channel but basically like, rtv's, ions, this tv and stuff like that. I am sure many would sub to it, I know I would.

You are truly an optimistic person! :cheer2:

Unless the broadcaster includes the EPG data on the same transponder as the uplinked channel, the EPG data would never link to the channel and be useless for all but a specific receiver with EPG mapping. This limits the EPG service not only to a niche FTA market, but narrows it even more to owners of a specific receiver.

More stuff to dream about! :D

Have you ever played with a DVBS PCI card in a PC and experimented with EPG data and mapping your favorites? There are some EPG projects using open data sharing. WMC has a basic experience for some 97w channels that could provide a good introduction and primer on IP delivery of EPG.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)