GEOSATpro microHD Hard Drive Compatibility Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Is the Western Digital MyPassport Ultra USB3.0 2 To (model WDBMWV0020BBK) comptatible with the GeoSatPro MicroHD ? I had before a USB2.0 HDD with external power which worked well, but not sure for the self-powered USB3.0; any help would be appreciated.

Happy New Year to all (yes I know, a bit late)

Mike

I would NOT use a drive that draws power from the MicroHD itself. It must be a drive that has a power brick, or otherwise plugs in the wall for power.

Agreed. Always use a externally powered external HD with any receiver. You will run into problems if you don't.

I suppose it depends on the type of HD drive. I have a Seagate Backup Plus portable 2TB drive that is sucking about 100 mA from my microHD. The USB port of the microHD delivers up to 500 mA. I have checked the amperage number from my PC in Device Manager, USB hub, Power tab. My Seagate drive is listed as 100 mA. A USB memory stick draws twice as much (200 mA) and USB wireless adapter draws 500 mA. I am kind of surprised that the HD drive takes less power than a memory sticks. It makes me wonder if those numbers are reliable, but then, why not?

I haven't found any official spec from Seagate to backup this dubious 100mA reading I am getting from my PC. On the other hand I have seen pictures of the Seagate from people who took off the metal casing to expose the actual drive inside. It's built by Samsung and it's written 5V and .85 mA on it...
I'd like to know if anyone has tried a USB hub with the microHD and if it does work. I'll buy one with a power adapter.
I wonder how it would work with two storage devices plugged to it...not that I have any use for that.

There's nothing like contacting the official support at Seagate and here's their answer:
"...the Backup Plus Slim requires 480 - 500mA coming from the USB port on the computer to be powered properly. Unfortunately, the Backup Plus is not supported in a DVR application environment."
Well it does work for my microHD with no motor, nothing else but a lnb so I'll leave it that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)