GEOSATpro microHD-Ku dish moving to first active sat in list

phlatwound

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 25, 2007
Goosapeak Junction
This has probably been covered before but i was unable to find it with a search...

No matter what satellite I have selected on the receiver (C or Ku) whenever I go to Menu->Installation->TP List that screen shows 30W ku and my Ku dish moves to the first active satellite in my Sat List, Hispasat @ 30W Ku in my case. 30W is diseqc 1.2 in my setup, all other ku sats are USALS.

For instance, last night I had my BUD at 101W (watching Star Trek on MeTV) and my Ku dish was aimed at 125W, went to TP List to see if I had any inactive tps on 101W C-band to delete, and the TP comes up showing 30W Ku and starts moving the ku dish to 30W.

As far as I know it has always done this, I have had my microHD for several months but have just been using it to control my main c/Ku setup for a month or so. Why isn't the presently selected sat (101W C-band) shown in the tp list when you bring it up, rather than 30W ku?

Think I have the latest firmware installed, and don't remember if I had this issue with earlier firmware versions. Hoping this is not an "undocumented feature", or another unfixable Ali chip quirk.

Yes its been covered, and as far as I know that's the way it is and the way it will stay. But point of interest on that.. If you had been working with other menu functions ie single satellite search and then selected the TP menu, it would remain on the sat you were working with.

Yes it will remain that way. If you go to antenna set-up first and then back out one screen you will be OK.

Thanks (from me and my very TIRED old Ku H-H motor) to all of you for the workarounds.

It's been a while but I am pretty sure that my old S9 didn't have this issue, and I thought it had the same chip?

Another thing that I remember (?) from the S9 is that there was a firmware version that, when you arrived on the selected sat (and locked a signal) quicker than the timeout period of the Dish Moving nag, it would disappear from the screen.

If I remember correctly, and both these receivers have the same chip, why can't both of these "features" be incorporated in the microHD?

If I remember correctly, and both these receivers have the same chip, why can't both of these "features" be incorporated in the microHD?

And why can't the channel list menu have 3 columns to allow you to see more what's on a particular satellite instead of the ONE column that sometimes requires you to scroll down MANY channels to find the one you want? I think this feature was the single best upgrade that they did on the S9s and I do miss that with the Micro.

And why don't they fix it so when you bring up a new satellite you can see the channels without moving the dish?? It would be nice to have it so that you could see channels and actually select one to go to before the dish took off heading somewhere you might not want to go.

No matter what satellite I have selected on the receiver (C or Ku) whenever I go to Menu->Installation->TP List that screen shows 30W ku and my Ku dish moves to the first active satellite in my Sat List, Hispasat @ 30W Ku in my case. 30W is diseqc 1.2 in my setup, all other ku sats are USALS.
My first sat is 15W. But I mostly watch and experiment around 83W~103W. Only somebody who has experienced phlatwound's reported symptom can appreciate why this makes you pull out your hair. My thumb gets carpal tunnel syndrome using the remote to bounce into and out of menus.

...It's been a while but I am pretty sure that my old S9 didn't have this issue...
Correct.

And why can't the channel list menu have 3 columns to allow you to see more what's on a particular satellite instead of the ONE column that sometimes requires you to scroll down MANY channels to find the one you want? I think this feature was the single best upgrade that they did on the S9s and I do miss that with the Micro.
Agreed. Ever tried watching 97W on a microHD with 297 TV channels scanned in and all listed in a single column?

These are a couple of reasons why I've gone back to my S9 for usual operation.

Yes its been covered, and as far as I know that's the way it is and the way it will stay. But point of interest on that.. If you had been working with other menu functions ie single satellite search and then selected the TP menu, it would remain on the sat you were working with.
This is correct. The original MicroHD firmware set the default TP List satellite to whatever satellite you had last selected in Single Satellite search.

That was changed as described here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/290892-New-microHD-Firmware-Release-GSP_MHD_009-Available-for-USB-and-Satellite-Update-(OTA-SSU)-08-20-2012?p=2950653#post2950653

MicroHD Firmware Release Notes Date: 8/20/2012 GSP_MHD_009

...... snip ......

* Changed: The Satellite Name selected in the Motor / Switch Setting Menu "Activated Satellite List" will be the default satellite in the Single/Multi Satellite and TP List menus
DRCars

Here's a work-around I stumbled into. I have a temporary pole on wheels for a satellite dish. I use this location for fun projects and testing stuff. I have a satellite in my list of satellites called "Temp" location 0.0E. This dish is not assigned a motor position but a switch position. I moved this satellite to the first satellite in the list using the Ali Editor. Now when I select the TP menu the dish doesn't move, it switches to the temp satellite. I can then select the satellite I was working on without having to run the motor back and forth.

That's interesting.

I don't use editors, but will see if I have a Ku sat that is further east than 30W in my list (so it will appear first in the list), will activate it and not assign any motor info. Maybe that will work also.

But I guess that sat would have to scan in something to make it appear it the list?

It will appear in TP list without any scanned tps. But...if you're really working on 103W, for example, you must still use right button to move all the way from the eastern most satellite, one by one, all the way to 103W. And the "Moving" message will appear on each satellite you pass.

It will appear in TP list without any scanned tps. But...if you're really working on 103W, for example, you must still use right button to move all the way from the eastern most satellite, one by one, all the way to 103W. And the "Moving" message will appear on each satellite you pass.
You don't use the right button, you hit "list" and scroll up and down through a list of sats

The List / OK button is active and works in the Motor / Switch Setting screen or Satellite Search screen to list all sats. The List / OK button in the TP List screen cannot be used for this since that button starts the scan of the selected tp.

When you select the TP menu a window opens and the first satellite in your list is highlighted in the sat selection line. At this point hit "List/OK" you then get a dropdown of the satellites in you list. You then select the sat you want to scan a TP on using the up and down buttons on the direction pad. The motor doesn't move until you pick your sat from that list. There is no need for the left and right buttons to select the sat.

When you select the TP menu a window opens and the first satellite in your list is highlighted in the sat selection line.
Actually, when you open the TP List menu, the first transponder in the list is highlighted (not the satellite) of the first satellite I have activated (15W). Normally, since 15W is configured for USALS, the dish immediately begins moving to 15W from 83W which is the satellite I was viewing. The irritating "Moving dish..." message must be cancelled. If, however, I use your workaround to configure a dummy satellite first in the list (e.g. at 0E), then I rightly can avoid moving the dish at this time. Yours is a good "temporary" workaround to resolve this issue until this odd operation is resolved. Having been viewing 83W, it is only logical that the TP List menu should open at 83W and not some arbitrary satellite at the top of the satellite list.

At this point hit "List/OK" you then get a dropdown of the satellites in you list.
Hitting the "List/OK" button at this time actually will open the TP Search window in preparation for scanning the first transponder on the list presented. You actually mean (and I just learned this now while playing!) to press the SAT button which opens a dropdown satellite list. How would anybody ever have known this? This is a well-kept secret! This user interface has zero on-screen indication that the SAT button is active at this time and this is why I never knew this previously.

You then select the sat you want to scan a TP on using the up and down buttons on the direction pad. The motor doesn't move until you pick your sat from that list. There is no need for the left and right buttons to select the sat.
This is correct. Thanks for your explanation.

Yea, now you got it :) Sorry, I should have went thru the procedure once to confirm it, But I just had surgery on my carotid artery Tuesday and got a pounding headache still :( . I haven't eaten since and T_Day Dinner is almost done :)

I just checked the manual and there is no mention of being able to use the SAT button as explained above. It is a secret after all. You can criticize older receivers but, in general, they have mature human interfaces so these button surprises aren't common.

Take care of that carotid. It's like an interstate highway in your body.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)