GEOSATpro microHD - New MediaBox Editor Studio Version is Available for Download

I just got around to downloading it. I saved my user UDF file to the USB thumb drive in preparation for editing low SR signals to test. Why is it that when imported into MES, my user UDF file local oscillators are not the custom 10000 one? Is that a known bug that MES won't read or use the local oscillator frequencies that are configured in the satellite configuration menu within the microhd and default to 10750 for Ku and 5150 for c-band?

I hate to think everytime I want to edit the file with MES after writing it out from the microhd, I'm going to have to redo all the local oscillator frequencies so it doesn't get changed to 10750/5150 when I put the UDF file back into the microhd after editing.

I tried the MES editor for the first time. I wanted to rearrange the satellite list so my newly-defined satellites (4W, 8W) would appear at the top of the list along with the others in the eastern end of the arc instead of at the bottom under the unused C-band satellites. I don't think this can be done from the remote control. It would be nice if there was a MOVE button in the Satellite List that would let you move the satellites around by remote.

After rebooting, I did have to go into each satellite configuration and re-configure the motor setting from NONE to USALS. Not too inconvenient, but just enough that you would think twice about using the editor except when you really needed to. It might be nice if at some time in future the editor could read and store that data.

MES will not import user settings, but it will export. You are able to configure to export the USALS and switch settings on the .udf file.

Could have sworn I set the individual satellite switch and motor setting with MES. Will need to check sometime... could be wrong!

Same problem here. Nice package, but still too buggy.

So other than the USALS ON/OFF, what else have you found in the MES Editor to be "buggy"?

I have found MES to be the most capable channel editor that I have used. in my opinion, MES makes the ALI Editor feel like nappy time at a preschool... :D

From my limited experience with MES, it seems fine overall to me. Those who are having trouble may be using an earlier version. I did find I couldn't save a file in .si format. The Italian error message said something like "The number of Providers must not be greater than 400!". But there isn't any reason to do this anyway since we need to export into .udf format to use it in the microHD.

Although the DiSEqC/USALS didn't seem to get exported, the selected satellite data (Power: ON/OFF) did.

So other than the USALS ON/OFF, what else have you found in the MES Editor to be "buggy"?

I have found MES to be the most capable channel editor that I have used. in my opinion, MES makes the ALI Editor feel like nappy time at a preschool... :D

Sorry, I should have stated...I had an instance where renaming favorites did not export to the box. I haven't tried yet to see if it's a repeatable problem, or if I fat fingered something. I'll have to verify that.

I'm getting ready to try the other editor so I can compare. Overall, I wish it were more like the Channel Master editor I have for my CS5000. But, that was what I was comfortable using.

I just remembered...I also had an incident where exporting to the box yielded two channels that went to black. Audio was there, just no picture. I quickly rescanned the channels and they came back. Again, I should keep better notes and see if it's repeatable.

My only other concern is with the quality of the USB sticks. Is there a recommended brand of USB memory that has been tested with the box to be the most reliable? I ask this because in the past, and depending on the product, poor quality USB sticks CAN be an issue with data transfer and some software.

It is impossible to quality any specific memory device as the drivers and components are typically based on availability and the same model will have many different builds.

The best recommendation is to buy name brand and perform your own benchmark testing to assure compatibility and I/o throughputs.

I just remembered...I also had an incident where exporting to the box yielded two channels that went to black. Audio was there, just no picture. I quickly rescanned the channels and they came back. Again, I should keep better notes and see if it's repeatable.

??? Wow...
How do we respond to a memory of a possible issue or user error? LOL! I mean... Really?

??? Wow...
How do we respond to a memory of a possible issue or user error? LOL! I mean... Really?

Only a rigorous system will weed out all bugs. I used to do software test, so I know it's not easy. I also have a friend who built massive database tables and did some data transfer tests to check reliability. He discovered some interesting problems over time...too long of a story. I'm not expecting perfection, I just know there can be problems with data transfer and memory sticks. I'm trying different brands of memory sticks and I'm trying to compare data imported from the box and exported to the box. At some point, the family is going to throw me out of the house as they don't give a hoot about editors and such. They just want the microHD back in service. My dumb mistakes can't be fixed, that's why I need to keep accurate notes. If I can repeat my problems, I'll forward them.

I'm using a powered Western Digital 750gb external drive on my MicroHD, and it works flawlessly. MicroHD wakes it from sleep mode, and starts recording just fine. Or, wakes it up fairly quickly when I want to watch a recording. The only thing that drives me nuts, is that sometimes when you are watching a recording, and a NEW recording starts OR stops, the MicroHD will throw you out of the recording you are watching. You then have to restart it, and try to figure out where you were (how far in) you were.

I've tried both editors and I have to say they both work quite well. I've done enough backups and restores from USB to feel confident in what I'm doing.
I weeded out a bad USB stick from my collection and isolated one to keep plugged into the back of the box.

So far, my previous errors haven't repeated, so it probably was me tripping over myself. I'm very pleased with the MicroHD. My biggest beef is maintaining the favorites lists for the family. It makes satellite surfing MUCH easier for the Mrs. and the kids. I've programmed the big white "ON DEMAND" button on my RCA remote to be the FAV button as it is easy to find and *hit* with the thumb. Wifey loves it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)