GEOSATpro microHD Portable power?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
That would be perfect for microHD portable operation! If connected to a fixed dish with single DRO LNBF, it will run for many hours. Motor movement and higher draw LNBFs will cut the runtime.

I have used a remote control car power pack and the 8 x AA battery holders for testing. Got several hours of use.

If I read your post correctly -- YES. If the TV is to run off this also, maybe. It looks better than my setup, but, hey, I am a ham radio emergency power nut!

Just a few words of advice --- when the light says it is charged, unplug from charger power within an hour or so - do not let the batteries overheat. And unless the instructions say you can, do not use the power pack output while charging. The power pack or charger may "burn up."

I'll put one of these on my wish list. My little TV has a built in rechargeable, so I wouldn't need to plug anything into the battery pack except the STB :)

Yay! I ordered one off eBay. Still charging up right now, but after a few hours I did a preliminary test, and it powers the microHD perfectly. Will hopefully be doing a more extensive test by this weekend, so stay tuned :)

Wow. My portable TV died out before the battery pack (I turned off and on at the same time while using at a motorized dish). I'm having to go ahead and do an extensive test, because the battery arrived with the plastic casing unglued, and I haven't noticed the LED ever changing to green. The seller said 10-12 hours should do a full charge (I think I had mine charging for 14 then just gave up on the "Green" light). So, I'm going to connect it inside to the microHD and let it move my motor around, too. After it is completely drained, going to charge it up again and see how long it lasts-- but don't expect any green light. Anyway, so far, it is quite impressive!

I may look into the Micro HD just for that portability. I use a 12 volt car battery out in my radio/comm shed and charge it with a cheap 45W solar panel. I run my WiFi and USB chargers off it primarily. Would be sweet to run a 12 volt STB and my small LCD screen for totally free TV. :) The more off-grid, the better!

Just an update on the too-good-to-be-true portable/rechargeable battery: there are a lot of duds or short-lived ones out there, and mine was one of them. After the original charge had run down, I found that a recharge (yes, done with the power switch in the on position, as required by these devices) allowed the device to work a total of two minutes (whereas the full charge before ran for three or four hours or so). After this, I tried powering other devices much to the same effect -- nothing. I let it rest a day, then tried a recharge. Nope.... dead. Fortunately, the company allowed me a full refund without returning the device. After reading some reviews, I see I'm not alone in this experience. So, I'm reluctant to buy another. I don't know if anyone else has had an experience in a positive light :)

Check the charger --- many switching chargers fail from initial high charge rates. If there is no output -- or if you can check output until plugged into the battery pack - probably the initial start up.
I do not know this unit, but I have a couple of chargers that would not charge my laptops if I ran them clear down. I strapped a higher current charger onto the battery (10 seconds at a time) until it came to about 65% VOLTAGE (18 volt battery to 14 volts) (less than 5 minutes total) and then went back to the stock charger and the battery was brought back to full charge. WATCH OUT FOR HEAT!

NOTE: this is what I did - please be careful. I have never had one explode, but I have been told it can happen. Just checked, it was a 12VDC 1 amp wall wart I used... I also pulse 1.2 V nicads for a half second or so to see if they will wake up from zero volts, about a 10% recovery for nicads....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)