MicroHD Questions for Dummies

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
Keepin' it basic here...

I threw the Geosatpro SL1 pll on the 90cm and played with it most of yesterday. I updated via Sat too. From that, I have some questions.

When doing transponder or satellite scans, what is the "Network" option for? I haven't seen it or the purpose mentioned anywhere.

I've experienced a few receiver lock-ups and had to pull power to get it back. I've just had it freeze up again while locked on a strong HD signal (S=90, Q=75) and starting the full screen signal meter. This was very similar to one last night. Is it common to be experiencing MicroHD issues that require power rebooting?

Do you guys delete all the pre-loaded transponders and do detailed scans? What's the difference in "Basic" and "Detailed" scans?

Last night I was manually putting in transponders and otherwise looking for FB feeds and found the Vikings game and otherwise has some weak signals for the others. I've seen a thread about methods for looking for wild feeds but never read it, but now I'd like to explore it more and can't find it! Where it this thread? Are the private forums being used here to discuss these types of topics? I've applied for permission a while ago but haven't heard a thing yea or nay. Ice and Scott grant permissions and I sent Ice a PM about this yesterday.

Thanks, and I'm sure I'll have more to follow. :)

When doing transponder or satellite scans, what is the "Network" option for? I haven't seen it or the purpose mentioned anywhere.
Owners Manual Page 47:
Network Search – Scans the Network Information Table and logs any services that the uplinker identified.
Note: Active only when scanning pre-programmed transponders.
If the transponder does not have a Network Information Table, the feature will not log any services.

I've experienced a few receiver lock-ups and had to pull power to get it back. I've just had it freeze up again while locked on a strong HD signal (S=90, Q=75) and starting the full screen signal meter. This was very similar to one last night. Is it common to be experiencing MicroHD issues that require power rebooting?
Be sure that the microHD is running the latest firmware. There have been a few reports. Some could be related to not performing a Factory Reset after updating the firmware and others could not be replicated.

If this happens and can be replicated, please document and report the specifics like satellite, TP, channel, switch and motor settings.

Do you guys delete all the pre-loaded transponders and do detailed scans?
Not usually. If the TP list is getting old with inactive TPs, then I often will. Also when testing to determine if new firmware and LNBFs have an effect on number of TPs found.

What's the difference in "Basic" and "Detailed" scans?
Owners Manual Page 47:
Blind Scan – Normal search of the entire satellite with user defined parameters for new transponders and channel logging with normal analysis
Blind Scan – Detailed search of the entire satellite with user defined parameters for new transponders and channel logging with extended analysis.

The Detailed Scan takes longer and spends more time analyzing the signal for channels.

Are the private forums being used here to discuss these types of topics?
The private "What's Up There" Forums usually discuss specific finds that are not public knowledge, but little tech talk bout technique or tricks.

Thanks, I somehow missed the explanations in the manual.

The private "What's Up There" Forums usually discuss specific finds that are not public knowledge, but little tech talk bout technique or tricks.

Is there a secrete handshake or decoder ring to get access?

The microHD has froze again, or I should say becomes long-term unresponsive. When I first turned it on this morning I had reception from east to west and things seemed fine.

I lost signal Q at some point (still have Signal Level) and the dish is not being repositioned. I went to the motor and it does go to the east or the west limits when the manual buttons are pushed but I can't manually position the motor to an intermediate position. The dish does not move when the receiver says it is moving the dish. I can go to the Motor/Switch menu and I'm froze on the Satellite prompt for several minutes. I've removed all satellite favorites except my south sat. At this point I'm not sure if I have a receiver or motor issue.

I'm going to try a factory reset first. If that doesn't work, then I'll reset the motor. If this still doesn't work I'll remove the motor from the system to see if the microHD regains it's brains.

The set-up is this:

microHD---> PowerMax SG9120B ---> SL1 PLL

Any thoughts?

They gotta take time to call your neighbors, and see if you should be let into the building! lol :neener

I've been through a few screenings for work, but I can see how satguys would do a more thorough background check than what was required previously.

I could also go the Wayne and Garth route, and throw myself on the floor pleading with "I'm not worthy". Then there's the old school yard insecurities coming to the surface that $$$ thousands of dollars and therapy suppressed years ago... :D

Does this always happen when you are on a particular satellite, or a particular channel? Try to think out ALL the commonalities you can think off for when it locks. Perhaps even write them down to help "map" them out. Then think of things (the parts of your system) as "black boxes", and try to narrow down (by eliminating) parts of it, until you've figured it out. Every switch, every separate piece of coax, each connection point, each lnb are all considered "black boxes".

It sounds like you might have a good start with your plans already.

Use a multi-meter, and check voltage level at the end of the coax that goes into the motor. Obviously it should change from 13volts to 18 volts on a V to H transponder change. See if it's high enough. You can always match it at the receiver, to see if it perhaps drops too much over the length of your coax.

Factory reset did nothing. Motor reset seems to have done something good! I'm back scanning in 97W and will slowly build out the channel list again.

It's tough troubleshooting something with so many variables, with equipment that's new to me. But it's the best way to learn!

Use a multi-meter, and check voltage level at the end of the coax that goes into the motor. Obviously it should change from 13volts to 18 volts on a V to H transponder change. See if it's high enough. You can always match it at the receiver, to see if it perhaps drops too much over the length of your coax.

I have about 75' total coax to the LNB/Motor. It's good quad RG6 so I'd think it would be sufficient. Voltage drop is always something to keep in mind though.

I applied for access on the 13th and sent Iceberg a PM on the 24th.

I responded. I have been out of town the last few days :)
Sometimes I forget to check that area. A while ago it was easy for me to see who had asked. About a year ago the software changed and its kinda in a hidden spot for me to look :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts