MicroHD receiver VS. Manhattan, 9500HDX, Openbox

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rrob311

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
New England
I am always looking for a better receiver and noticed some newer models out there and wasn't sure what each has as far as advantages over the others. I know the MicroHD has an online update capability. The Manhattan seems to have fallen by the wayside so IDK what the status on this receiver is. I have heard even less about the Pansat 9500HDX which I know does servo control. I have an Openbox S9 which works OK but has it's quirks. Any brief summary of the strong points of each receiver would be much appreciated.

Every STB comes with at least one or two wish list items. Right now I need a receiver that decodes 4.2.2. for one persistent C-Band baseball feed. I understand that 4.2.2. functionality would drive the MicroHD past the $125 price point. I'm still going to buy one when SatAV releases them. It sounds like a nice compact STB that could use on my bedroom LCD-TV.

For the 4.2.2. dilemma I might buy one of those external USB tuners like a prof or equivalent for my laptop. If for some reason it didn't work for 4.2.2. It would make for a nice portable setup to bring out to the dish farm for alignments.

I was thinking about ordering a microHD, but then I thought what would it give me that I don't already have with the OpenBox S9 receiver. I love the OpenBox, so I'm waiting to see how others like the microHD first before I take the plunge.

I was thinking about ordering a microHD, but then I thought what would it give me that I don't already have with the OpenBox S9 receiver. I love the OpenBox, so I'm waiting to see how others like the microHD first before I take the plunge.

Plunge? At $125 I would call that dipping a toe in the pond..... LOL!!! :D

S9, S10, S11, S2456...:eek: No thanks.
Pansat 9500 ....too similar to an S9, 10, 64 etc, (heard it runs similar software) again, no thanks.
Manhattan, maybe. Don't know too much about it's operation etc.
I will be getting 2 new receivers soon. AZbox, and MicroHD. (not neccessarily in that order) :D

As much as I would love to read that entire thread. I do not have enough time.

The main advantage, in my opinion, is the North American support this receiver will have. There are additional hardware advantages--size, external power supply, newer chipset and SDK, and better performance on high bitrate feeds to name a few.

Manhattan, maybe. Don't know too much about it's operation etc.
from the big thread anything I've thrown at Brian that the Manhattan can do the Geosat can duplicate
Even a couple things Geosat can do that the MH can't (log all pids and not have interference with older HDTV's are two big ones in my book)

from the big thread anything I've thrown at Brian that the Manhattan can do the Geosat can duplicate
Even a couple things Geosat can do that the MH can't (log all pids and not have interference with older HDTV's are two big ones in my book)

That's right, I forgot you had a Manhattan. :)

The main advantage, in my opinion, is the North American support this receiver will have. There are additional hardware advantages--size, external power supply, newer chipset and SDK, and better performance on high bitrate feeds to name a few.

What is SDK exactly? What advantage does it being in the MicroHD give it over the other receivers?

What is SDK exactly? What advantage does it being in the MicroHD give it over the other receivers?

Software Development Kit

The m3601 chipset offers many features that the m3602 based receivers cannot. The strength of the microHD is our US based development team, support for 1080p, additional modulations and codings, closed captioning on VBI and onscreen display and the signal sensitivity of the Airoha AV2011 tuner.

Blindscan would be big for me. Will blindscan be better with the Micro HD than with AZ Box or Openbox?

In our testing, the microHD seems to have a considerable edge in logging transponders and channels. I have found the Airoha AV2011 tuner to be the key difference as we have similar hardware with traditional tuners and they have nowhere near the sensitivity.

i switched out my new az premium plus for the solomend s9. solomend is so much easier to operate, and i think it has more sensitivity. will have to check that again but i know the microhd is going to be better. the az box was ok but it took to much time to switch between satellites and channels. tried to get the favorites working but probably need to read more to figure out how to make it easy to work between the two folders for my wife and myself. and i like the way the s9 displays the screen between hd and sd programs. btw, i went back to 11-03-21 firmware because it is easier to operate. looking forward though to getting the microhd. charlie

Chaskuchar are you running the s9 firmware that allows you to record 2 different channels on a transponder while watching the 3rd channel on the TS?

In our testing, the microHD seems to have a considerable edge in logging transponders and channels. I have found the Airoha AV2011 tuner to be the key difference as we have similar hardware with traditional tuners and they have nowhere near the sensitivity.

Cool a good blind scanning test is 99w Cband. There are several low SR mexican local channels on that bird. There are several 1562 and 3125 SR channels. I would be impressed if it will blind scan all of them. I don't have a receiver that will and I have a 13' dish with a powerful signal. I am lucky to scan in one of them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)