GEOSATpro MicroHD recording issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
ps actually records as a .mpg file,which makes it smaller than the full .ts and easier to burn to dvd for some people.
But like mentioned previously it's just for sd recording,hd recording forces .ts

Gotcha.. Besides, I think I would rather do the conversion myself in my Mac.. I can de-comb and also control the amount of compression used, I can optimize it to my personal preference..
My mac has more than enough juice to get the job done PDQ..

My hard drive started doing that again, too. ("Limit: CAN not record", recording light comes on but nothing is recording/I can change satellites and channels). Haven't disconnected it in any unusual way (always use the menu), unless putting the STB in standby mode is a no-no for the external drive. Or maybe the indexing problem happens after I delete files from the drive using the computer instead of the STB? I did a full format several months back, so it should've been good. I'm stumped about what I could be doing wrong ... just hope I can do a quick repair and not have to wait half a day for a full format again (1 TB drive...uggh).

I would rather do the conversion myself in my Mac.. I can de-comb and also control the amount of compression used, I can optimize it to my personal preference.

The recordings on the microHD are broken up into multiple files. The files can be added back together but there is an overlap as a chunk at the end of the first file is repeated at the start of the second file. (there is an old thread about this) So far I have only found TS-Doctor (a Windows program) to recognize the overlap and properly add the files together. This extra chunk where the join point is usually ends up as a glitch in the video or sound when the file is played back. If you notice the glitch, this is what is causing it.

Hmmm, haven't heard of the HP USB stick format tool. I did originally try a quick format in Windows 7 for the external hard disk....made it really buggy (I think because it was formally used with a computer and for some reason the recordings wanted to quit unexpectedly), so did a full format. It was more stable and no problems for months. Then started having some occasional problems again after about 1/3 full. I just did a defrag and error check on the drive, and at the moment it's recording again (of course, I already removed my previous recordings). I may try doing my "deleting" only on the microHD instead of the computer and see if that makes a difference....I wouldn't expect it to affect the drive, but something strange is happening here :)

I may try doing my "deleting" only on the microHD instead of the computer and see if that makes a difference....I wouldn't expect it to affect the drive, but something strange is happening here :)
When you delete on Windows, the file usually stays.
Its just in a list of deleted files, so it doesn't actually go away.
Ive suspected that as a problem on previous PVRs .
Just a thought.

The recordings on the microHD are broken up into multiple files. The files can be added back together but there is an overlap as a chunk at the end of the first file is repeated at the start of the second file. (there is an old thread about this) So far I have only found TS-Doctor (a Windows program) to recognize the overlap and properly add the files together. This extra chunk where the join point is usually ends up as a glitch in the video or sound when the file is played back. If you notice the glitch, this is what is causing it.

Oh, good info! Thank you!

I was looking through some old recordings from Offbeat Cinema and noticed that they are in chunks and was wondering how I will deal with this.
I have been recording for months but haven't tried converting yet because moving the old disk from one room to another was a real hassle.
Now with the new(er) disk and the dock for it, I can just pop it out and move it to the dock on my Mac. Easy-peasy.... :D

Maybe I'll try that ts-doctor app on my Mac under Crossover like I was able to do for the channel editor. The Mac is many times more powerful and faster than the windows pc plus it has a nice keyboard and nifty trackpad. :)

I was looking through some old recordings from Offbeat Cinema and noticed that they are in chunks and was wondering how I will deal with this.
This thread contains the info about the file overlap.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...two+files.+There+are+256+packets,+48128+bytes
I have also tried using one of the shareware file cutter programs to trim the 48128 bytes off the files and then binary copied the files together. It worked fine, but required a lot more manual work. TS-Doctor, as suggested by Tron was so much easier and also fixed some of the stream errors.

I may try doing my "deleting" only on the microHD instead of the computer and see if that makes a difference....I wouldn't expect it to affect the drive, but something strange is happening here :)
It can make a difference as the longer the USB cable the more timing and noise problems can occur. Only writing to the drive by the microHD may help prevent file corruption issues. (when deleting the drive is being written to) Also, use the safely remove hardware routine in Windows before removing the drive. If possible, try a shorter USB cable and/or one with a ferrite bead. Also, use the format routine on the microHD to index the drive after moving the drive from the PC back to the miceoHD after formatting the drive on the PC. I have also had these problems occur with a USB stick in the past, but have not seen this happen in a few months now and I am recording daily.
The HP USB stick format tool I have found to be very good.
http://download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool/3000-2094_4-10974082.html

My hard drive started doing that again, too. ("Limit: CAN not record", recording light comes on but nothing is recording/I can change satellites and channels)...
After upgrading to the new firmware, doing a factory reset and power off, and installing the default database, I found I once again could not record. Same symptoms as above and as I experienced previously. I did a Quick Format using my PC of my 1TB Seagate external disk which took only maybe 1 minute or so and then the PVR resumed normal operation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)