microHD Repeatedly Rebooting After .udf Upload

Babadem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2007
MA
After update and loading userdb.udf the MicroHD keeps rebooting continuously, briefly displaying Boot logo and a channel list 3ABN on 97.0°W each time. I have rebooted many times by unplugging power supply, no luck. The remote commands are non responsive. Any idea how I can stop the endless reboot so I can get to the menu?

After update and loading userdb.udf the MicroHD keeps rebooting continuously, briefly displaying Boot logo and a channel list 3ABN on 97.0°W each time. I have rebooted many times by unplugging power supply, no luck. The remote commands are non responsive. Any idea how I can stop the endless reboot so I can get to the menu?

I'd suggest to reload your old "Allcode" file to try to get it back to pre-update mode. You did save it, right? This one takes longer to load, so be patient. It's your old firmware and channels, etc. If it works and gets you back to "before" status, deal with the new firmware update then. Of course if it's in a boot loop, you may not be able to do this.

I'd suggest to reload your old "Allcode" file to try to get it back to pre-update mode. You did save it, right? This one takes longer to load, so be patient. It's your old firmware and channels, etc. If it works and gets you back to "before" status, deal with the new firmware update then. Of course if it's in a boot loop, you may not be able to do this.

I have the "Allcode" backed-up, but I can't access the menu due to the continuous reboot (Boot loop) and the MicroHD is not responding to remote control commands.

The user data file that you loaded is corrupt.

Purchase a 4 pin USB / TTL (5volt) cable and connect between your PC running the ALI editor software and the microHD serial header. Reload current firmware via the serial connection then rebuild your channel list.

We will post the specific steps in the process if you wish to connect via serial connection.

Example USB /TTL cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-UART-TTL-Cable-PL2303-Converter-Module-/160836086860

The user data file that you loaded is corrupt.

Purchase a 4 pin USB / TTL (5volt) cable and connect between your PC running the ALI editor software and the microHD serial header. Reload current firmware via the serial connection then rebuild your channel list.

We will post the specific steps in the process if you wish to connect via serial connection.

Example USB /TTL cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-UART-TTL-Cable-PL2303-Converter-Module-/160836086860

Thanks, Brian for the response. So, this means I have to open up the MicroHD in order to gain access to the serial header? I hope it doesn't void my warranty? I already have serial cable at home, I believe from the coolsat 5000, will that be good? Please, post the specific steps on how to connect via serial connection. In the meantime, I'm going to purchase the cable you suggested above.

Just for reference will opening up the microHD to access the serial header void the warranty?

Opening the microHD case and loading an authorized firmware file WILL NOT void the microHD warranty.

Loading unauthorized or corrupt firmware, data files or altering the hardware in any way WILL void the microHD warranty.

We want to encourage hobbyists to explore the limits and possibilities of the microHD. Unlike other receivers, the case is not necessary for complete control and operation of the receiver! :D

Thanks, Brian for the response. So, this means I have to open up the MicroHD in order to gain access to the serial header?
Yes.

I hope it doesn't void my warranty?
No, see post above.

I already have serial cable at home, I believe from the coolsat 5000, will that be good?
No. The microHD does not have a RS232 port. The header is on the motherboard and is TTL serial type.

We will post a thread in the next few days with step by step guide for firmware updating via the serial connection.

We want to encourage hobbyists to explore the limits and possibilities of the microHD. Unlike other receivers, the case is not necessary for complete control and operation of the receiver! :D

This is what I like to see. :) MFJ does the same thing with their Amateur Radio products. They want to encourage people to learn about how stuff ticks.

Yes.

No, see post above.

No. The microHD does not have a RS232 port. The header is on the motherboard and is TTL serial type.

We will post a thread in the next few days with step by step guide for firmware updating via the serial connection.
I will keep you abreast of my progress.

I'm going digging for a MAX232 and a few caps in the basement tonight. I am going to try to build a cheap TTL to RS232 device and see what kind of trouble i can cause.

I'm going digging for a MAX232 and a few caps in the basement tonight. I am going to try to build a cheap TTL to RS232 device and see what kind of trouble i can cause.
Wallyhts, before wasting your precious time building USB to RS232 cable for the McroHD, you should first read what Brian wrote here.

Last edited:
Wallyhts, before wasting your precious time building USB to RS232 cable for the McroHD, you should first read what Brian wrote here.

That's a very good point. I just hate having to wait lol.

Yup your right. I have been itching to see if anything is up on Ka.

I envision my phone ringing...:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)