GEOSATpro MicroHD Serial Programming

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

WH07

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 7, 2015
United States
So I didn't realize if you removed a satellite without removing the channels that I'd get the infamous Micro HD boot loop. I guess I should have checked the forums more often. Haha

So fortunately I have a usb ttl cable I've had to modify to work with the geosatpro microhd programming port. I've been able to search the forums and found the steps and pinout of the microhd. However, I'm having problems getting the firmware to download to the STB.

I'm using a Prolific PL-2303 XA / HXA chip driver USB to TTL and I feel like it may be part of the problem. I had to search the internet and grab an old version that apparently works with my computer. I'm running Windows 10. ALI Editor seems to see the USB to TTL, but I keep getting the "Failed to Test Port". Also, I tried to use Putty as a COM ready to connect my TX and RX of the USB to TTL and see if I get a loop back when I type some text, but I'm not seeing anything. I think either my USB to TTL might be broke or the driver for it says it's working when in fact it's not. I also tried to research my model of the usb to ttl and the Prolific website is not clear, but sounds as if this version of the chipset is not supported by Windows 10. I feel like I've tried everything, including swapping the TX and RX pins as well as supplying external power while downloading the firmware.

Anyone, have any thoughts or ideas?

To use that cable you will need Windows XP, Vista, or Win 7.

I returned a Prolific cable because it only runs on old systems and instead ordered a CP2102 USB to UART to get out of that situation and it works fine with Windows 8.1/10. I would not recommend buying the Prolific cable.

So I tried using the Prolific cable with another computer running Windows 7. I've tried different drivers and it's still not programming my Micro HD. Even tried swapping the TX/RX lines.

Does anyone know of a TTL USB cable that works with Windows 10 and Ali Editor?

You didn't describe the error in failing to connect. Is is a device recognition or communication failure?

Make sure the correct drivers are loaded, the device is recognized in the manager and select the correct port.

You didn't describe the error in failing to connect. Is is a device recognition or communication failure?

Make sure the correct drivers are loaded, the device is recognized in the manager and select the correct port.

The problem is Ali Editor keeps saying it "Failed to test port". All the drivers I've tried, including the latest from Prolific, appear to install correctly and I have verified in Windows device manager that I'm using the correct com port, but still no luck. I've tried on both a Windows 10 and Windows 7 pc.

Maybe I'm still not using the correct Prolific driver, but I have no idea which to try next or where to find it.

Don't have experience with the chipset version, so can't comment on the chip compatibility or driver. I do remember some members buying prolific USB/TTL converters that were incompatible with Win7.

Yeah it doesn't sound like Prolific is a brand I'll be buying from in the future.

Do you have another manufacturer that can run on Windows 10?

All the ones I sold and had any experience with would not work on Win 8 or Win 10. It had to be Win XP, Vista, or 7.

So I managed to upload the database. I had to purchase another USB to TTL programmer using the FTDI chipset that works with Windows 10. I also had to use the Micro HD's external power supply to flash the board. Power via the USB to TTL cable just wasn't enough.

The USB to TTL I used was the GearMo USB to 5v TTL FTDI TTL-232R-5V programmer. I found it on Amazon, but unfortunately it's about $20.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I hope this thread helps someone out in the future.

Reactions: KE4EST

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)