GEOSATpro MicroHd

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tonyo1242

On Vacation
Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
bahamas
Good afternoon,

Is the microHD still the cheapest and best HD receiver out today? 2. Does it have alot of HD channels? 3. Is there a channel list for the receiver?

Not cheap, but definitely inexpensive especially when you consider the support, licensing and features that other STBs don't have: Closed Captioning, update via satellite, h8psk, 16apsk, full screen signal meter and other features such as full PID info display, SID/FEC/resolution/modulation, record 2 channels while watching 3rd, manual channel entry, 30 timers, US based development and technical support.

There are many free HD channels with the most on C-band. Many channel lists out there. Check lyngsat or sathint for partial listings.

Watching multiple live feeds of the New Year in Times Square as I type. Won't see those on regular TV!

Last edited:
IMO the best deal going. Updates and support are something that most FTA receivers are seriously lacking. Yet people still buy them. Go with the Micro Hd and you'll be happy

Where you are, the option of running on 12VDC makes it worthwhile by itself. a 12VDC TV and the storms will not cut you off from watching what is going on. I live off grid, so the 12Volt feature was for me. I am just getting mine on line now - been busy building - and we have lights, heat, refrigeration and TV even when our power grabbing neighbors do not! I doubt you would ever see an ice storm and 20* F. though.

Thanks Tron. Do I need a 36" dual lnbf ku band satellite dish or the single lnbf dish will work for me with the microHD receiver?

You can use either dual or single. Dual would only benefit though if you are running two receivers at the same time, on the same satellite.
The new GEOSATpro SL1PLL LNBF from SatelliteAV is a very good choice. It is a single.

Go for a single LNBF system then add a good motor to receive multiple satellites.

The M1 package is a great value at $199: http://satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=1611&ws_cat=413
You get everything that you will need for a standard fixed dish install including microHD, GEOSATpro 90cm dish with mount, one of the best KU-band LNBFs available (the GEOSATpro SL1PLL), install kit, cables, grounding supplies and even a compass and silicone sealant for any holes that might be drilled.

It is a hard package to beat!

i got the 1.2 package from satelliteav last fall. i am super pleased with the reception on the 1.2. i did get a dg380 motor for the system and everything works super well. it doesn't come with all the install supplies though. charlie

No. Those services are scrambled and part of a subscription package from a service provider. :rolleyes:

You will occasionally find a backhaul of a NBA or NFL game but no packages.

Is the microHD still the cheapest and best HD receiver out today?

Here is the deal, it works with DVB-S2!!

My needs are basic, I just want PBS (in HD) from AMC-21 (125° W). I have used a Twinhan 102G (PCI card) and TSReader for many years but PBS changed to DVB-S2 and MPEG4 rendering my Twinhan useless. I have a Diamond 9000HD STB, MicroTrend and WinTV Nova S2 (PCI cards) and all these are supposed to do DVB-S2 but I could not get any of them to work.

Purchased a GEOSATpro microHD and within 5 minutes of opening the shipping box I had PBS up and running. Connected via HDMI to a Onkyo PR-SC5508P.

So far the only minus: Analog audio & video cable is too short and uses a 4 conductor 3.5mm plug that is not common. There is no way to set a “pass through” of the digital video that I have found. The video adjustments will affect you HDMI video. There is no mention in the manual if the HDMI video is 0-255 (computer) or 16-235 (Blu-ray, ATSC, many DVB-S, etc.). If you have an external 3-½" HD connected it will need to stay powered on all the time for recordings because there is no provisions to cycle the power.

I may rig me a small relay to the USB connection so it will cycle the power to my external 3-½" HD.

3. Is there a channel list for the receiver?
Yes

WRBreland,

Glad you enjoy the microHD!

I use RCA F/F Barrell connectors to extend the RCA AV cables with standard M/M RCA cables. Cost about 50 cents each.

Please explain "pass through of the digital video"?

The HDMI output is the consumer standard 16-255 not formatted for the expanded computer range. NTSC based consumer displays and televisions are typically expecting a black that is broadcast level set-up and not the computer zero black level. STB builds are usually based on 8-bit 4:2:0 YCbCr outputs and there is little reason to provide an expanded range as the broadcast material is typically produced and broadcast for the 54mv video black level set-up.

The microHD does provide USB power management (sleep mode). Compatible drives will spin down until a DVR event or media playback. The USB power is usually always present on any consumer device. Not sure that I have ever observed USB power being shut off on a port while a STB is in operation mode.

Please explain "pass through of the digital video"?
Bypass as in no processing or levels being set to unity. For example, the “Brightness” level control has a range of 0 to 100 so at what brightness setting represents a digital out of 16?

STB builds are usually based on 8-bit 4:2:0 YCbCr outputs and there is little reason to provide an expanded range as the broadcast material is typically produced and broadcast for the 54mv video black level set-up.
OK, you lost me on that one. AFAIK, 0V = Reference Black. From SMPTE 274M:
10.5 For the Y’ component, reference black (zero) in the expressions of clauses 5 and 6 shall correspond to a level of 0 Vdc, and reference white (unity) shall correspond to 700 mV.

The microHD does provide USB power management (sleep mode). Compatible drives will spin down until a DVR event or media playback. The USB power is usually always present on any consumer device. Not sure that I have ever observed USB power being shut off on a port while a STB is in operation mode.
I will have to look into this. I have two Western Digital green drives in my NAS and will look at their documentation. If you know of a manufacture and series of drives that do this it would help.

For other folks reading this: the above is not a negative for the microHD. I have been using professional satellite receivers since PBS started program distribution via satellite in the 70's. Receivers used several rack spaces, required a 10 meter dish and a semi-rigid heliax from dish to receiver. Now we have a receiver the size of a match box that does HD and 5.1 sound, I find the microHD a truly amazing little device.

Bypass as in no processing or levels being set to unity. For example, the “Brightness” level control has a range of 0 to 100 so at what brightness setting represents a digital out of 16?
Consumer electronic devices with an user adjustable setting is not by design to be a calibrated reference. It is for the eye of the user or for reference and adjustment with an external calibration device. At the default position 50 - there is no amplification or attenuation.

OK, you lost me on that one. AFAIK, 0V = Reference Black. From SMPTE 274M:
The NTSCm standard, used in North America, does not set black at 0IRE (0V), but rather at 7.5IRE (54mV). ATSC black reference (and computer RGB) is set to 0IRE (0V). The rest of the world references black at 0IRE (0V)

I will have to look into this. I have two Western Digital green drives in my NAS and will look at their documentation. If you know of a manufacture and series of drives that do this it would help.
NAS enclosures are usually set-up different as they are often required to be spinning 24/7 and are not desired to spin down. Often they have a rear panel swoitch or software setting for user setting. On standard usb enclosures it is a function of the USB controller, not the drive. I have several USB devices that I swap around here at home that spin down: Maxtor One Touch4 Plus 500GB, Hitachi SimpleDrive 500GB, iomega eGo 500GB, WD My Book Studio Edition 500GB (USB, Firewire, eSATA), Hitachi 500gb Xmobile. Some have software tools allowing user selectable settings controlling the sleep function.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts