Microsoft Vista - Beware!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
Bring home a new computer with Vista installed might be a rude awakening, and for those folks who are contemplating buying the upcoming new Vista operating program to upgrade from XP beware also!

Why? Your peripherals might not work!

Those old and not so old printers and scanners will need new Vista Drivers.
It will take some time for Vista drivers to be developed for existing gear, and for some they will never get new Vista drivers. Therefore you will have to get new gear.

I have tried the Vista Beta and RC1 and some programs will not work with Vista also.

Please run the compatibility program on your system, it will tell you what will work and what will not.

I’ll stick with XP.:)

It takes time for drivers to be updated, as it has with every MS operating system going back to Windows 2.1.

Unless you're willing to deal with unworking elderly peripherals for some time, don't be an early adopter.

I've found the driver support on RC2 to be significantly better than what was included in Beta and RC1, but that is for mainstream hardware.

I tried throwing Vista RC1 on my brand new Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 w/ 2gb ram machine I built. The sata/pata chipset was not supported. So I installed XP and tried doing the Vista RC1 upgrade. Compatibility wise everything was fine. 9 hours later the upgrade was complete.

Vista definitely looks promising but the first thing I noticed was my antivirus software (Eset Nod32) and Firefox did not run. Reminded me of OSX on first boot.

i have a scanner, webcam and network card that don't work and no drivers are yet available.

Vista is ok...

FireFox 2.0 works just fine, IE7... nice to see MS catching up again but still not as nice...

Note for new installes... My documents and settings moved to Users on your local hard drive

whole package works nice with office 2007! however i am now tired of the windows logo button!!!!

I have a couple of things that don't work also, but I will wait a year or two, before I upgrade to Vista.

So, since it looks like I need to buy new hardware, application software, and now, peripherals, to run Vista (which looks like what Apple had out two years ago), why wouldn't I just go ahead and make the leap to a Power Mac?;)

Go for Vista -- Slow for Drivers?

Now that Microsoft has given the green light for Vista operating system to be sold at the end of Jan. 2007. I hope that Microsoft pushes the hardware and software makers to finish writing drivers so that things like mice, keyboards, cameras and printers all work smoothly with the new OS.

You know the minor stuff.

At least ATI has a Driver for the Vid. Cards that are a few years old. It would be nice if other vendors follow the same process to keep the customers happy, but I suspect that the vendor's will tell people to buy new gear if they want the drivers, or stay with XP.

Or Build your own drivers, etc.

I had to build a new modem file for my old Practical Peripherals 33.6k external modem.

No XP support, so I took the windows 95 inf and hand modified it.

Modem works fine.

Why do I need an old modem? Credit Card Processing. The bank machines still like old modems capable of 1200 baud!!! And they HATE PCI win modems!

I ran into a HP laptop the other day, it would boot the DVD fine, then it died saying Vista doesn't have a driver for that DVD drive. Weird, I thought all IDE CDROM/DVDROM drives were pretty much the same as far as the OS is concerned.

LOL. 9 hours?! Shiet that's an awfully long time for an upgrade.

I'd agree - if you're gonna spend that much $ for the OS, upgrade your hardware, etc - think twice about OS X (unless you really don't want it). *shrug*

You'd think this would be obvious to most people, but apparently they expect everything to work. I have no reason to get vista now, may be years until I get a new computer with one on it maybe

OK, so Vista is RTM (release to manufacturing).

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2006/nov06/11-08VistaRTM.mspx

So, I wonder where can I get one?

End of Jan. 07. for retail purchase.

If you buy a new computer, depending on the make of the computer and type of XP operating program (Home, Pro, Media 2005), you will qualify to get a coupon for a free copy of Vista. The version of Vista that you will qualify for will be dependent again on the type of window XP Version on the purchase computer. Some vendors will make you pay for shipping and handling of Vista.

Please note that it might take time to get drivers for your old printers and other existing equipment that you have, and in some casees Vendors will not develop any Vista drivers for your old gear, therefore you will have to purchase new equipment (printers, scanners and other items) and even certain types of software.

Google search for "vista rtm 6000.16386 torrent" yields some interesting results :) 'nuff said about that.

just remember, Google keeps all search requests archived forever in case law enforcement ever wants to subpoeana them.

Last edited:
Windows Vista Equipment Tagging Methods

With Black Friday and holiday sales coming, I wanted to give you folks information on Microsoft’s’ Vista tagging methods for PC’s and other equipment:

1. PCs with the Windows Vista Capable logo can run lower-end versions of Vista, such as Windows Vista Home Basic.
2. Windows Vista Premium Ready means the machines can run the higher-end versions of Vista, such as Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate
3. Equipment products tagged "Certified for Windows Vista" will deliver the Windows Vista premium features.
4. Equipment tagged "Works with Windows Vista" means that it is compatible with the Windows Vista and will work reliably with it.

Hope this helps guys:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)