Microsoft Vista - Beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vista is ok...

FireFox 2.0 works just fine, IE7... nice to see MS catching up again but still not as nice...

Note for new installes... My documents and settings moved to Users on your local hard drive

whole package works nice with office 2007! however i am now tired of the windows logo button!!!!

I love the Windows Logo button - but hey - check out something interesting one of my students found over at www.msfirefox.com. You'll get a kick out of it...

:)

Again, when Vista becomes available, I for one am recommending against jumping in too quickly into Vista, and holding off for as long as possible.

Regards.

I on the other hand would argue otherwise. Vista is a great product. I only wish Microsoft would have finished it two years ago. Will people have driver issues? Absolutely. But that is NOT Microsoft's problem. It is the hardware manufacturer.

I remember someone I met years ago who swore up and down he would NEVER use Windows 95 because of all of the bugs. When reminded about that a few years after the fact all he had was just excuses.

Same thing went for Windows XP SP2. I had people in class telling others NEVER to install it because it "broke" things. However, it was not Microsoft's fault. Had the software vendors taken the time to update their software to conform with Microsofts requirements it would have been a non issue.

Bulldog - you remind of of that guy. :)

With Black Friday and holiday sales coming, I wanted to give you folks information on Microsoft’s’ Vista tagging methods for PC’s and other equipment:

1. PCs with the Windows Vista Capable logo can run lower-end versions of Vista, such as Windows Vista Home Basic.
2. Windows Vista Premium Ready means the machines can run the higher-end versions of Vista, such as Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate
3. Equipment products tagged "Certified for Windows Vista" will deliver the Windows Vista premium features.
4. Equipment tagged "Works with Windows Vista" means that it is compatible with the Windows Vista and will work reliably with it.

Hope this helps guys:)

Great info Bulldog. I wasn't aware of all of the different product labeling. I just got a new laptop and now have a very good idea of it's capabilities!

Where did you find this info?

I on the other hand would argue otherwise. Vista is a great product. I only wish Microsoft would have finished it two years ago. Will people have driver issues? Absolutely. But that is NOT Microsoft's problem. It is the hardware manufacturer.

I remember someone I met years ago who swore up and down he would NEVER use Windows 95 because of all of the bugs. When reminded about that a few years after the fact all he had was just excuses.

Same thing went for Windows XP SP2. I had people in class telling others NEVER to install it because it "broke" things. However, it was not Microsoft's fault. Had the software vendors taken the time to update their software to conform with Microsofts requirements it would have been a non issue.

Bulldog - you remind of of that guy. :)

The reason I placed the warning is to hopefully get folks to first use the Vista analysis program that Microsoft has available (in which I have provided in an earlier post). As you know this will give the person an idea as to what will work and what will not.

It will take time as I stated before, for Vendors of printers, scanners, cameras and the like to develop drivers for their present equipment; including certain software programs.

I did test Vista’s Bata and RC1 program on three of my computers, as a new raw install, as an upgrade over XP home, and XP Pro. Vista did recognize the hardware but with no drivers available I was not able to use them. Therefore since some folks might have hardware that manufacturers will take a long time or even never develop Vista drivers for, it will require folks to purchase new hardware. I did include the Vista Tagging mythology in another follow-up post.

I am not advocating people not to use Vista, just trying to provide a heads up on the possible problems that some folks will face.

Many vendors will be more than happy to sell new printers, scanners and the like with Vista, therefore the total cost of getting and using the new operating program will be higher.

This is what the forum is all about “Helping people by keeping them informed.”

That Vista analysis locks up on my recently built computer at work, so I haven't tried it at home. I doubt I'll move to Vista before 2008 or 2009.

The reason I placed the warning is to hopefully get folks to first use the Vista analysis program that Microsoft has available (in which I have provided in an earlier post). As you know this will give the person an idea as to what will work and what will not.

It will take time as I stated before, for Vendors of printers, scanners, cameras and the like to develop drivers for their present equipment; including certain software programs.

I did test Vista’s Bata and RC1 program on three of my computers, as a new raw install, as an upgrade over XP home, and XP Pro. Vista did recognize the hardware but with no drivers available I was not able to use them. Therefore since some folks might have hardware that manufacturers will take a long time or even never develop Vista drivers for, it will require folks to purchase new hardware. I did include the Vista Tagging mythology in another follow-up post.

I am not advocating people not to use Vista, just trying to provide a heads up on the possible problems that some folks will face.

Many vendors will be more than happy to sell new printers, scanners and the like with Vista, therefore the total cost of getting and using the new operating program will be higher.

This is what the forum is all about “Helping people by keeping them informed.”

No problem, Bulldog. Your posts were great and very informative. I was just posting a different view of things. You were and are absolutely correct in your information posted. I just wanted to throw my two cents in. :)

I too just wanted to help people out and keep them informed.

All the best.

Great info Bulldog. I wasn't aware of all of the different product labeling. I just got a new laptop and now have a very good idea of it's capabilities!

Where did you find this info?

Well finding the proper hardware is just part of the problem. A recent report I just read states that many of the “big name” security software vendors except for McAfee still don’t have a Vista level program available. Not to mention the lack of other programs that will run under Vista. Although businesses have Vista available now, January is just around the corner for the average consumer.

When I ran my Vista analysis, many of my programs were identify as unable to be used under Vista.

It will be interesting to see how many Vista level applications will be available by the end of January.

I tried the Beta version and stuck with it hoping the RC1 version would be better. RC1 released and even more stuff didnt work on an up to date computer. I cant believe anyone would buy Vista at this point.

I tried the Beta version and stuck with it hoping the RC1 version would be better. RC1 released and even more stuff didnt work on an up to date computer. I cant believe anyone would buy Vista at this point.

Here is some more news:

It now seems that Microsoft has admitted that Vista has some problems detecting sata hard drives.

Microsoft has stated that some setup problems will disappear as hardware manufacturers finally get around to releasing Vista-compatible drivers:rolleyes:

As I stated before guys, if you are considering doing a Vista upgrade, you need to pay attention to your hardware vendor driver availability.

Vista operating program has another problem

New report states that Microsoft’s Vista operating program has another problem on running a major application.

The problem is that Vista can't run the current version of SQL Server 2005 Express, which is the desktop counterpart of SQL Server - not the server version.

The report continues to state that “Microsoft's oversight with SQL is one reason, among many, why analysts don't expect Vista to appear in the workplace until 2008. And it's become yet another sticking point with corporate IT departments already frustrated by their dependence on Microsoft. In the long run, the lack of SQL support could delay widespread adoption of Vista even further.”

I am dumbfounded. How could this have been missed? Very glad we use Pervasive, but as I told the MS guy who called, I have no intentions of upgrading OS or server until 2008 or 2009.

Vista Increases draw on battery power for notebook PC users

A new report states Notebook PC users who upgrade to Microsoft's Windows Vista may have to disable some of the new operating system's flashy graphics features to avoid seeing a decrease in battery life compared to when running Windows XP

It seems that a Dell report also stated that Vista's appetite for computing resources will increase its draw on battery power

Microsoft is aware of this, and has stated that they have designed Vista to allow notebook PC users to save battery power by turning down the screen brightness, volume, wireless networking, and other attributes, according to the company's Web site.

I'm barely starting to upgrade to Windows Server 2003 where I work. I have no plans on upgrading to Vista, at least not for a few years. I just wish that MS would stick with something and make it stable instead of trying to add more bugs, er i mean add more features. Half of our equipment (not PC's, embedded systems) use OS' that are 10 years old if not older. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited:
Windows Vista security flaw discovered

A recent CNN report states that Windows Vista, the new computer operating system that Microsoft Corp. is touting as its most secure ever, contains a programming flaw that might let hackers gain full control of vulnerable computers.

But most security researchers believe a complex product like Vista can never be error-free, so it was a matter of time for someone discovered a security vulnerability.
"It only has historical significance in that it's the first reported vulnerability that also affects Vista. It's a nonevent in other ways.

Update on Vista

In reading a recent PC magazine which had conducted some testing on Vista, the test results and reviews were mixed.

The main thing that I assess is that there are issues with many apps, and as a caution that you should wait for the service pack 1 release, so that Microsoft can fix many bugs that may be found. In addition this will allow for more SW and Drivers to be developed and tested for Vista.

Special Vista Test Drive

Vista will be released to the public on January 30th. 2007, but as I have been recommending to everyone that you should wait till some of the bugs are out of the program, and also to allow vendors to get their driver / software ready to be able to run under Vista.

But mark my words Microsoft has now stated that they will release a Vista service pack SP1 update in the later half of 2007!

Doesn't exactly instill too much confidence in Vista for those early starters.:(

Anyway Microsoft has set up a special Vista Test drive. Users can access the preview of Vista on a Windows test drive site.

The test drive sets up a virtual environment that shows users what running Vista is like via a legitimate way of testing the software rather than going out and buying a counterfeit copy or pirating a genuine version.

Though users won't be downloading all of Vista by going to the site, some software will be installed locally on your machine because the site needs to communicate with the users. :rolleyes:

The test drive also will assess a user's hardware and evaluate what upgrades need to be made to run Vista.:)

Check it out at this link:

http://www.windowsvistatestdrive.com/

Vista on Sale

As you know Vista is out at the stores and on-line. I have been providing some warnings, if you have plans to upgrade or buy a new computer with Vista.

Despite Microsoft's claim that Vista supports 30,000 devices, many components such as video cards, input devices, and printers that work fine on XP don't work on Vista.

Updated software drivers for many older components might not be available, therefore you will have to spring for some additional gear.

If you are planning on upgrading your present system to Vista, first check your system out at the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx

Also you can test drive Vista at the following link:

http://www.windowsvistatestdrive.com/

If you have already installed Vista, let me know how it turn out; any hints or additional warnings.

Vista problem with Gamers

Haven’t heard anything from this forum on Vista installation problems, but here is a article from PC World that states that Windows Vista's powerful new graphics engine may be one of its hallmark features, but it's engendering complaints from a key segment of potential early adopters: hardcore gamers.

A small but significant number of games written for Windows XP either crash or creep along slowly on Vista, according to numerous complaints by game enthusiasts in online forums.

Shooter Games Affected

Most of the problems have been found in popular first-person shooter games such as CounterStrike, Half-Life 2, Doom 3 and F.E.A.R.

Games, especially first-person shooters, tend to strain a PC's graphics capabilities much more than business or even multimedia applications.

Besides the occasional crash, the most common reports appear to be games whose animation speed, measured in frames per second, suffers under Vista.

Experts blame still-flaky software drivers, Vista's complexity and a dearth of new video cards optimized for Vista's new rendering technology, DirectX 10.

That's despite promises from Microsoft that Vista is backwards-compatible with XP's graphic engine, DirectX 9, and that it will support existing games.

Meanwhile, games written to take advantage of DirectX 10 have been slow to emerge. And one Nvidia executive predicts that gamers may not routinely see games optimized for DirectX 10 until mid-2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts