Microsoft's Mystery Monday revealed: Surface Tablets

Folks, it's a Windows product. They didn't start with a clean slate. It's very DNA has all those lovely Windows flaws we've come to - err, um - know. I just can't believe it will run much better or more reliably than any other Windows product. Bloat.
Actually, Windows Mobile, which I presume this will run, was developed independently of desktop Windows.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

There's talk of running off the shelf programs on the fancier one, with little or no modification. Doesn't sound much like Mobile. But we shall see. It's just I have long experience with Microsoft, and generally not good.

Actually, I've been thinking things over. I've got to admit that Microsoft has made a wonderful leap in having USB and HDMI ports.

There's talk of running off the shelf programs on the fancier one, with little or no modification. Doesn't sound much like Mobile. But we shall see. It's just I have long experience with Microsoft, and generally not good.

The pro version is basically just a laptop with just a touch screen. It has a standard i5 processor so it will most likely run all windows applications that support Win8 without any modifications.

The pro version is basically just a laptop with just a touch screen. It has a standard i5 processor so it will most likely run all windows applications that support Win8 without any modifications.

I can see the pro version having value. But why buy the RT version of windows 8 without any compatibility?

navychop said:
Folks, it's a Windows product. They didn't start with a clean slate. It's very DNA has all those lovely Windows flaws we've come to - err, um - know. I just can't believe it will run much better or more reliably than any other Windows product. Bloat.

And think of all those experienced programmers that will easily port their knowledge to this new version as they devise ever more clever viruses.

The thicker keyboard looks like they copied the Logitech one for the iPad. But it's certainly a good idea.

OK, enough of the negativity. I will wait and see what actually hits the streets, and what people think of it six months later.

I don't know. I have always been a Mac user and I loved my iBook and MacBook pros. However I had to start using a nice desktop with windows 7 at work when I started at an accounting firm around January of 2011.

I still prefer a Mac because that is what I have always known but when it was time to upgrade at home I chose a Samsung i7 laptop. I use it to work from home and on the road occasionally and the corporate accounting software just isn't made for Mac. Sure, I could have bought another MacBook pro and installed windows 7 on it but that would have been about twice the price for a comparable machine. As a Mac user I always assumed all the Microsoft bashing was justified but after using widows 7 for about a year and a half I just don't see where all the hate comes from. I can't speak for previous versions but windows 7 seems pretty solid to me.

Another point. I think Microsoft has proven they can make a great UI and hardware with the Xbox 360. The earliest units did have a high failure rate but they replaced them for free and fixed the problem pretty quickly. The newer units are rock solid. I own one as well as a PS3. I love my PS3 for exclusive games, bluray player, and streaming apps but I think the 360s UI and Xbox live service clearly blows it out of the water.

Actually, Windows Mobile, which I presume this will run, was developed independently of desktop Windows.

The Intel version will run windows 8. The ARM will run the metro version of same. I don't think wither is based on Windows Mobile.

Ooops, when it was a tablet, I presumed it would run similarly to iOS, Android, or Microsoft's mobile platform OS.

Now that Microsoft has everyone excited, they need to go build it, make it work, and, for a price people can afford. Why did they announce this thing now, when they aren't ready to sell it?

For all we know this could be just a dumb terminal to a real mini computer running in the back. Why aren't they ready to sell in two weeks? And why don't they have any idea what the cost will be? I say this idea they have isn't ready yet. Wake me up when they have a real product.

PS: sold my ms stock on the pop this created. Thanks Balmer.

Sent from my iPad3 using SatelliteGuys app

Now that Microsoft has everyone excited, they need to go build it, make it work, and, for a price people can afford. Why did they announce this thing now, when they aren't ready to sell it?

Because Windows 8 is not ready for retail sale yet. So how can they sell a tablet running it if the OS is not ready. (I must add, I am using the beta of windows 8, it seems pretty solid. I hated it at first but now that I have gotten used to it, I kind of like it)

I must add, as a company, I have pretty much hated MS for the last few years, but lately they seem to be turning things around. Only thing left for them to do, that would help out is to get rid of Steve Balmer, He needs to go and they need to get a more personable figure to head the company.

Last edited:
The smart-cover-like keyboard is intriguing, but I was not wowed by the Surface. and since I just posted in the iPad thread about how I don't use keyboards on my iPad, I am not seeing a huge value.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)