Middle East Arabic Channels...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You all have been a great help. I will get the 36" dish instead of the 31" So the link below is all the channels that can be picked up if the dish is pointed to 97W? So all i have to do is tell the installer to point the dish to 97W and he will know what to do?

FTAList.com - Arabic Channel List these all the channels i can get?

how will this work with my dish network box? Do you all recommmend a motorized dish? do they get every satellite? can they also be mounted on the roof?

Nitrous,

A Dish Network receiver will not be able to pick up these channels. These are FTA channels and not part of the Dish Network packages and the signal format is different than most of DN's stuff.

You would need a FTA receiver.

I really like my motorized dish, but that is more expense and I don't know if your friend who installs DN systems would do this type of installation and he might wish he isn't doing it for free as a favor after he gets started. I have a friend who is a DN and DirectTV authorized installer, but he also does FTA motorized systems and C-Band installations (BUDs), too. But, there aren't many technicians out there that have all the tools and experience to do all of this.

RADAR

thank you guys for all the advice. i have ordered the S-1 with the 36" dish. I will update you all when i receive it. I hope the dish tech can get it installed properly.

I have ordered the S-1 with the 36" dish. I will update you all when i receive it. I hope the dish tech can get it installed properly.

Thank you for your business. You have made the right choice. I hope you will enjoy your satellite system for many years to come.

thank you guys for all the advice. i have ordered the S-1 with the 36" dish. I will update you all when i receive it. I hope the dish tech can get it installed properly.

cool. Glad you jumped in and got the setup. You'll enjoy it :)

ICEBURG, thanks for your detail info. Appreciate all the guidance you and the rest of the board members have given me here. For the installation part, how will i konw where 97W is? is that what the included compas is for? lol Is there a meter that the tech has that will tell him that its pointing exactly at 97W galaxy 19 satellite?

97W depends on your location in the US...the satellites are in orbit as the longitude in the sky.

So as an example, I am in Minneapolis, MN which is at 93W so 97W is just a little off dead south. Someone on the East coast will have to aim the dish SW and someone in California would have to aim the dish SE

The best thing to do is check here
Satellite Angle Calculator - SatelliteGuys.US

put in your city/state and find 97W on the list. That will tell you what elevation the dish needs to be and where to aim in the sky

See attached. For Minneapolis my settings for 97 are
38 elevation
187.3 azimuth...so just a little off dead south
+4 skew...with a fixed dish skew is needed.

Try it and see what you get. In the original post you said you were in Virginia but the city or area is not known. I used Roanoke and got the following
43 elevation
215 azimuth (almost straight SW)
+21 skew...this is critical when aiming a fixed dish. You'll want to skew the LNB first

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 116
FTAList.com - Arabic Channel List these all the channels i can get?

The ones that say "Galaxy 19" are on 97°W. Note this list is just known Arabic channels. It is not the full 97°W list and may not include all Arabic channels.

Note that there are a lot of radio channels not listed on ftalist.com so you should check "The List!" at the top of this forum. I just suggest ftalist as it is simpler and more straight-forward for a new person to get a quick idea of what they can pickup.

Here's 97°W from The List! Note that RED means encrypted so you can't get them for free. SatelliteGuys.US - 97.0°W Galaxy 19 Ku

Here is the full list of 97°W TV channels from ftalist: FTAList.com - Galaxy 19 Channel List

Iceberg and gillham, thanks for the information. If i also want to pick up the local channels, do i have to get just regular antenna and attach it to the roof also? I have a HDTV or can the FTA kit pick up local channels also?
If i do have to purchase an outdoor antenna, which one do you all recommend? I think the furthest station for me is 50miles. i have been reading on here a lot, so the questions just keep piling up. :)

I guess i want something that will pick up UHF and VHF right? so an OTA antenna that will do both?

The FTA receiver wont get any OTA channels. Its just a passthrough. The HD receivers can pick up the digital OTA channels

Just run the antenna into the back of your HDTV

What HD receiver? What antenna should i run into the back of my HDTV? i used to have an antenna in the attic, one of those bowtie antenna, but it didnt pick up the far channels, like CW, even when it was on the roof it didnt pick it up, any other antenna that you recommend that i can install. I want to get rid of my dish network and just use the FTA and the antenna for the basic channels.

If you already have a HDTV then you can use an antenna and just plug it into the back

Now what you use to get analog might be different than digital. There are folks who couldnt get an analog signal of a channel but the digital version works great. There is a Ion station about 60 miles NW of where I am and the analog signal was really fuzzy but the digital works great. And I get a few extra channels on it :)

Check tvfool.com and antennaweb.org and the OTA forum here at Satellite Guys.

What antenna depends on the data back from TV Fool and the channels you want. Some FTA HD units include ATSC tuners, but if you have an ATSC TV you're set, just need some signal.

Something like the Channel Master CM 3018 might be great for your 50 mile station without being too big.

you guys have all the info. lol well. i checked out the sites. Most of the channels i want are 50ft away. Its in the red. I dont mind getting the antenna on the roof since i am going to install the FTA dish i just purchased. The TV does have a Digital Tuner built in, since i will be connecting the new FTA receiver and OTA antenna to the TV. Do i need to get a UHF or VHF, or one that does both? What can i pick up for OTA antenanna for under $50?

You asked about VHF & UHF channels. You mentioned Virginia but what stations are you going to try and get? (what metro area are you near)?

Reason I ask is some stations right now are on UHF and may move to VHF. I live in Minneapolis and right now all out networks are on digital UHF (9 of them)....but come 6/12 Fox & NBC are moving back to their analog channel (9 & 11) so those will be VHF. So technically the UHF only antenna I have used for 4 years might have to be replaced with a combo unit

I live in Dumfries VA. approx 20miles from Washington DC. I want to get CW and the locals, NBC, FOX, CBS, ABC and thats about it really. i think those are all the channels with good info.

OK then you would need a VHF/UHF antenna as some of the stations that are on hi VHF (7-13) are moving there after 6/12/09

so any VHF and UHF antenna with over 50miles should be fine like the CM3018?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts