Might come back to satellite

It's been years since I've seen definitive proof of either D* or E* resolution numbers taken from their streams. Links from Google aren't "facts".

Just for fun.... will check back shortly....

DirecTV's "HD" resolution is 1152 x 648
Dish Network's "HD" resolution is 1920 x 1080
I found this on Google, https://www.google.com/search?q=DirecTV's+"HD"+resolution+is+1152+x+648&oq=DirecTV's+"HD"+resolution+is+1152+x+648&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8, and it says Directv's resolution is 1152 x 768. It's from Google, so it's a fact...It's the first link for me but may show up in different positions for others. Just look for the text "Might come back..." in the heading.
You take anything that you can find via Google as "fact". That link, from Google, I posted says D* resolution is 1152 x 864, so it must be fact.
Hall, why does the number keep changing each time you post it?

Got off the phone with Mediacom and they said my internet pricing won't change because that is what I had originally. That's good news!

Now it is down to D* with an uncertain Genie model and only 5 tuners but more HD Premiums of interest
or
E* with arguably the best equipment out there, but missing one channel that has boxing on it in HD.
Magic 8 Ball time!! :)

Not sure if this is still an issue with Dish or not, but I remember when I had their service, timers that overlapped on the same channel took both tuners for those few minutes of overlap. I remember getting a pop up box to switch to that channel quite often. Not sure if the hopper still does this, but I have never seen this with Direct. Pretty sure they use the same tuners for overlapping recordings.

Yeah, Dish doesn't handle overlap well. I just fiddled with start/stop timing a bit.

OK, just ordered Dish and they will be here in the morning to install. Should go quick as all they need to do is bring HWS in, connect to coax and turn on. Dish is in place with proper connections. Asked about upfront cost for SuperJoey and they said no SJ until 4 TVs. I think if I would have pushed on that I could have gotten the SJ too, but I can manage to twiddle things enough to make that not an issue.

Thanks for the feedback here guys. Appreciated.

Should go quick as all they need to do is bring HWS in, connect to coax and turn on. Dish is in place with proper connections
Don't be surprised if the tech wants to replace everything that's already there...

Asked about upfront cost for SuperJoey and they said no SJ until 4 TVs.
Call back and tell them you've added (3) TVs. When the tech gets there, they won't care how many TVs they connect.

Reactions: TheKrell
I won't be surprised at anything the tech might want to do! :) The setup is a good dish that was last used in March of this year, connected properly for a Hopper in the main room and SJ in the tech room.

As to adding the SJ, I had pretty much decided not to even ask, but for some reason I went ahead and did ask. I can manage a single HWS with not much effort and save myself $120/year in extra fees.

Reactions: pattykay
I'm guessing the tech will swap the LNBs and replace all connectors at a minimum. I had a Hopper upgraded to a Sling version and the tech replaced every connector he had easy access to.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I think a lot of people do not realize that resolution is only one aspect of overall picture quality. For example, if you have high resolution video with a low streaming bitrate it will look much worse than a lower resolution image with a high streaming bitrate. That is why you can not use resolution as the sole reason that D* has better PQ than E*.

I have seen it posted many times that Dish uses 1440 and Direct uses 1920, but I have never seen a definitive post anywhere reliable that says that. Even if it is true, those posts are not very recent. Things change frequently enough with Dish and Direct that it may not be true anymore. True or not, there are many other factors besides resolution that affect picture quality.

I think a lot of people do not realize that resolution is only one aspect of overall picture quality. For example, if you have high resolution video with a low streaming bitrate it will look much worse than a lower resolution image with a high streaming bitrate. That is why you can not use resolution as the sole reason that D* has better PQ than E*.

I have seen it posted many times that Dish uses 1440 and Direct uses 1920, but I have never seen a definitive post anywhere reliable that says that. Even if it is true, those posts are not very recent. Things change frequently enough with Dish and Direct that it may not be true anymore. True or not, there are many other factors besides resolution that affect picture quality.

You're correct. Mediacom is 1080i and their picture quality isn't as good as either Dish or Direct's. It was close enough to not care, but as time went by other video/audio issues arose that they haven't bothered to fix yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)