Might Fox News and the Fox suite of channels be the next battle ground for Dish?

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Why Folks in Your Area Might Soon Be Crying Out: 'I Want My Fox News Channel!'

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Chase Carey, president and COO of News Corp., has signaled that there might be a fight on the horizon over retrans fees for Fox News.

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/2012/09/why-folks-in-your-area-might-s.php

Looks like Chase Carey is firing the warning shot that they think their channels are undervalued. Dish and Fox already got into it once a few years ago and are arguing with each other over Big 10 Network currently.

I'm not sure this should be in the Dish forum. This seems like something that will impact all providers.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Dish and Fox already fought 2 years ago, although that fight didn't involve Fox News. If something happens, I'm sure both sides will make big PR announcements before the channel would get pulled.

Now playing on a system near you, the monster that will devour us all GREEDZILLA! :popcorn

Most large networks think they are undervalued. If they had one or two channels then they could be undervalued. But when you have five or six channels, and two or three channels the show the same programming, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Why do I see a lot more disputes coming up in 2013? (Not just for DISH but all providers.)

The way I read this story is that FOX is gearing up for battle with many providers as it feels its channels are undervalued. This is not just a DISH problem.

I'm not sure this should be in the Dish forum. This seems like something that will impact all providers.
Based on CBS' announcement from a few days ago, this might not simply be a simple case of carriage fees, but actually have more to do with Auto-Hop, and the upcoming lawsuit.

If so, it would be somewhat karmic in light of Dish's behavior with AMC when they claimed it was about carriage fees instead of leverage in an unrelated court case.

and lets leave politics out of it.,..thanks

It's considered politics to say I don't like FOX News and would enjoy not having to pay for it as part of my package? Fine. Then the same people who say that about ESPN all the freaking time ought to have their posts deleted too.

It's considered politics to say I don't like FOX News and would enjoy not having to pay for it as part of my package? Fine. Then the same people who say that about ESPN all the freaking time ought to have their posts deleted too.
News Corp is far more than just Fox News. While I wouldn't miss FNC, I'd sure miss Fox, FX, and National Geographic.

It's considered politics to say I don't like FOX News and would enjoy not having to pay for it as part of my package?
umm you said more than that. The 1st post Scott deleted. The 2nd one I did
Then the same people who say that about ESPN all the freaking time ought to have their posts deleted too.
if it involves politics or religion then yes it would too ;)

News Corp is far more than just Fox News. While I wouldn't miss FNC, I'd sure miss Fox, FX, and National Geographic.

I very occasionally watch reruns of Two and a Half Men on FX, but that's basically it, and if I really cared about reruns of any particular old comedy, I could get a DVD set. None of the News Corp/FOX cable offerings are really up my alley. Now, the over the air FOX, I'd miss because they carry NFL and MLB games, but those deals are done with the local affiliate, right? Dish Network having a dispute with News Corps' cable offerings wouldn't affect Dish carrying the local FOX OTA affiliates, would it? Because the OTA affiliate is the only thing I'd miss- and even they occasionally tick me off because they air the Phillies over the Orioles when FOX is doing regionalized national games and the Eagles over the Ravens when they are both scheduled at the same time on FOX (Happens a maximum of twice a year, but still). But, yeah, I wouldn't want to go without that station, but it wouldn't be part of the potential dispute is my understanding.

I doubt Dish would be getting into another battle with a major network such as Fox. Even Fox News and Fox Business, You think if Dish gets in dispute with more networks and starts dropping them, there will be a mass exodus of subscribers. I for one am pissed already at the loss of AMC anymore mainstream channels get dropped and I'll be dropping Dish.
It's been over 2 years with no Disney HD!

I doubt Dish would be getting into another battle with a major network such as Fox. Even Fox News and Fox Business, You think if Dish gets in dispute with more networks and starts dropping them, there will be a mass exodus of subscribers. I for one am pissed already at the loss of AMC anymore mainstream channels get dropped and I'll be dropping Dish.
It's been over 2 years with no Disney HD!

Ive said it before but surely dish's contract with ESPN/Disney is about to expire and my bet is Dec 31st. We may not have disney or ESPN on jan 1 if they cant come to a compromise of some sort. Dish is one of those companies that i could see actually dropping espn/disney. Im not a sports fan or have kids but if Dish does drop those channels on Jan 1 and increases my bill(ESPN/Disney is almost $10 a month every sub) in Feb ill be gone in a heartbeat.

You have made your sentiments apparent more than once, and just keep going on about how you are a victim................

Thank you to Scott and Tony. Normally try to ignore these types of posts, but for some reason, they seem to be happening more and more lately. LOL

umm you said more than that. The 1st post Scott deleted. The 2nd one I did

if it involves politics or religion then yes it would too ;)

Last edited:
This is one channel I hope DISH does DROP !!!! :crowdbounce:
And just as many, or more, would wish for the dropping of CNN and MSNBC. The issue is whether the sat and cable companies should give in to the large rate increases that certain programmers are asking for or should they push back and demand rates justified by viewership and market conditions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts