Might Motorola ever build dvb into a 4dtv?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerryK

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 25, 2005
I think this thread will get only 1 reply: "NO". feel free to be the one to do it :)

But I've heard people say they're considering other updates to the box. I'd think dvb would add 10 years to the product line.

It would be nice if Motorola put out a box that had the HD tuner and did DCII megapipe along with what it does now, and also DVB and a PVR, but we all have dreams :)

I do not think they will, I hope they would but look at the subscriber numbers, if more people will reactivate there buds and put up new systems then we will see new pruducts, but if people keep deactivating and taking down there systems, we will need to continue to use what we have now, and hope for the best.

what about the Voom Motorola DSR-550 receivers??

As far as the hardware components of the DSR series 4DTV receivers that were put out by Motorola, the DSR-550 (former Voom receiver) is very similar in design. It also encorporates High Definition output. I had read somewhere that these receivers could be able to be used as a 4DTV commercial receiver if Motorola would change the channel maps on these babies. This would save lots of money and space due to the fact that the High Definition decoder is not a separate set-top box but a built-in component in the receivers. Not only that, these babies can serve up your locals because they've got the ATSC tuner module in them to decode all of your local digital OTA channels.

Would have been cool but they do not have the antenna positioner and the fact that Star Choice bought all the boxes for there service in Canada, there was other reasons also but I do not recall them all, but it again really comes down to the subscriber count, all I got to say is if you have a big dish at least sub to one channel! many people have both a 4dtv and a dvb box but do not sub they only watch the free stuff, this is fine but it hurts the industry.

I doubt that Motorola really cares about 4DTV users any more. There isn't much new money to be made there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)