Mini BUD C-band Project 99w / 91W

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
Due to line of sight and neighborhood restrictions, my home system needs to be a little creative. A motorized 90cm dish and a fixed 1.2M dish in a clearing can see between the pine and oak trees 83w - 99w and a second location on the roof will soon add motorized GEOSATpro 90cm and 1.2m dishes for 101w - 139w.

A few months ago I had ground mounted the fixed GEOSATpro 1.2m on a NPRM for the 99w C-band PR/VI mux. Have enjoyed the east coast time offset for the networks and record the prime time block for time shift viewing. Previous testing on the 1.2M showed that C-band 95w and 91w satellites could be received in offset positions by removing the centered C-band LNBF and hand holding the LNBF into the correct position. Several transponders would provide SN of over 7db. The 91w satellite with the CW mux and the 41 radio stations could be received with plenty of threshold headroom Had a few days off so brought home an extra C-band LNBF, C-band clamp and 3 LNBF mount bracket and a DiSEqC 4x1 switch to add a 2nd LNBF to the mini-BUD.

Took about a 1/2 hour to assemble the offset bracket and properly position the clamp to hold the LNBF at the proper distance, Elevation and angle. First the bracket was loosely assembled to allow the clamp to be freely moved. Handheld the LNBF to determine the approximate position then moved the clamp into position to support the LNBF. Loosely clamped the LNBF and fine tuned the Elevation, offset distance, skew and focal distance.

Due to the lack of terrestrial interference at this location, I have found that both LNBFs perform best with no scalar. Have tested with both flat and offset scalar types and observe a significant drop in carrier to noise ratio and loss of threshold signals (example: 99w PR/VI mux drops from Signal Quality 70% to a 55% when attaching the flat scalar and to 50% when attaching an offset type. The scalar position is possible to be set at almost any point of the feedhorn. On the flat scalar even tried mounting behind the clamp with varied, but always decreased Signal Quality readings.

Quite happy with the results. On the centered LNBF for 99w, receive the VI/PR mux at 7.5db CN (70+% SQ reading on the microHD), 8.0dB on Lesea, 9dB on AFN (for radio station), 6.8dB on GDMX 6.x mux, 6dB on KCWY and barely above threshold on WAPA. On the Offset 91w LNBF receive 7db on CW mux, 7.2 on The Word mux and 9.5db on the audio mux. Going to try and optimize a little more as I would love to add Classic Arts or a certain movie service, but think I am dreaming as it probably isn't possible with this small reflector. The carriers are so low on the spectrum analyzer.

WideShot 90cm120cm.JPG
Wide Shot of Motorized GEOSATpro 90cm and fixed 1.2M

image-2.jpeg
99w Centered and 91w Offset and raised

image.jpeg
Centered 99w feeds 4x1 DiSEqC for main microHD system
Offset 91w feeds 4x1 DiSEqC for main microHD and 2nd output to HTPC for 24/7 audio channels for entire home listening.

image-1.jpeg
Adjustable LNBF bracket with C-band clamp
Will add 2nd clamp at rear of feedhorns for additional stability

image-3.jpeg
Additional photo of clamping assembly.

Last edited:
Thanks for this! I haven't tried the mini-BUD without the scalar. Once I'm fully recovered and the temperature and weather cooperates, I'll have to give it a try. I have a lot of success with the Mexican stations on Satmex 6. You'll sometimes get English programming with Spanish subs on a few of those stations. I'm wondering how your roof dishes will perform on that satellite :)

Very Nice Brian! Always enjoy reading and seeing pictures of peoples FTA projects.

When living in the suburbs (Folson, CA) all satellites (including SatMex 6) required the flat scalar on the miniBUD experiments to bring the majority of transponders above threshold. In this more rural area (Meadow Vista, CA) the scalars do more harm than good. Go figure... Sitting down in a valley with obvious cellular, LOS broadband and terrestrial TV reception issues! :eek:
GEOSATpro-1.2M_MiniBud.jpg
Previous miniBUD testing in Suburbia

GEOSATpro-C2_MiniBud.jpg
Note the placement of the feedhorn and the scalar for optimized CN / Signal Quality readings

The Focal Distance and skew settings are hyper critical. The LNBFs were not designed to be installed at this angle (slightly tilted up). Based on the experience gleaned during the previous install, rotated the LNBF 180 degrees to place the electronics on top. Will be drilling a drainage hole in each LNBF as the condensation and moisture pools and can't be helping the performance. Removing the caps provided a .1 or .2dB increase in clear weather and water streaming during downpours, but not sure if the gain of removal would be outweighed by the open throat attracting pests.

First will be coating the cover with King Controls Rain Shield: http://www.google.com/shopping/product/1388564272734767915?q=rain shield King Controls before removing the cap. BTW... for those of you who have never tried Rain Shield, it works great for coating the face of a LNBF to avoid water sheeting. Water streaming and sheeting across the face of a LNBF will very quickly attenuate a satellite signal! Rain Shield works very well on exposed LNBF covers that are often aimed skyward. Have used this product for years and an annual application keeps the water beading and minimizes loss or reduction of signals during rainfall. Don't bother using on the reflector surface as water sheeting has very little effect and will just be a waste of product. Rain Shield does not attract dust or turn rancid like Pam or other oil based products. This isn't a sales pitch as we have never sold Rain Shield... just a supporter of a great product that I find useful!

Last edited:
Satellite AV since you live in some type of HOA have you tried with a 1 meter dish and what type of C-band lnbs are those?

dan rose

The LNBFs are a GEOSATpro C1 and a C2. The C2 model was discontinued by the factory last year. Too bad as it was the best performing C-band LNBF that we ever tested.

Have never tried anything smaller than a 1.2m for C-band. Get frustrated with the limited reception even with that size.

I wish to receive the 99w PR/VI mux and the WY station for the networks. The reception is marginal with an approx. 1.5dB headroom on a 1.2m reflector, but at least provides 99% reliability for recording/time shifting primetime. Wouldn't have that reliability with a one meter.

The most reliable channel on my Geosatpro 1.2m is NHK World HD over @ 58 W. Coincidentally that is also the best FTA channel on C band so it works out great. If only all C band signals had a FEC of 1/2... that would be great.

I recommend giving that one a try if you want some programming that works on miniBUD.

I've always wondered if it would work on a 90cm

Satellite AV since you live in some type of HOA have you tried with a 1 meter dish and what type of C-band lnbs are those?

dan rose

I have tried using the SatAV C2 c-band lnb on a 1 meter Primestar dish, with the MicroHD receiver. While it works for some of the stronger stuff out there (101w and 99w) it's not really worth messing with unless you have NO recourse to anything a little larger.

If you are in a restricted neighborhood, I'd use a 1.2 meter dish, and paint "1 meter" on it's front. Unless you have some real HOA Nazi's, they'll never know the difference from 100 feet away. Especially if you take PAINS to not put the dish near something else that's easy to judge the size of. I have mine surrounded by Rhododendron bushes, and you'd be hard-pressed to have even seen my 6 foot dish before I replaced it with a 10 footer. Those bushes are amazing for hiding stuff! lol

Well I live with my mom and she told me you follow the rules you have to go by them also that means I have to set the example. Why doesn't Satellite AV sell those lnbf's on there website? Also primestar31 where I have my dish its really hard to hide it from anyone look up my previous pics for more detail.

Dan Rose

My football feed just went out!

What failed? NOTHING...

Two deer standing in front of the dish... :what

Guess thay had never seen an offset C-band LNBF on a mini BUD and were checking out the mounting bracket!

Make that WERE standing in front of the dish... ;)

Back to the game...

A month ago, I was out messing around with my dish, and an adolescent deer came charging up the hill. When he was about a yard in front of me, I finally decided to ask, "What's the matter, are you hungry?" (especially since our two beagles were just lying around and not even barking). At that point he looks up, and stares at me for about 10 seconds. I say, "well?" Then he high tailed it back into the woods. Strange experience.

Status
Please reply by conversation.