Mini bud performance on 78w

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shicks4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2015
Kansas
I have a guy that works for me that has been pretty interested in the systems I have been experimenting with at the shop. He was asking me this morning about C-band on 78w on a 1.2 meter dish. We live pretty close to right in the center of the United States. So I figured I could ask some of you mini buders, and get some input. Thanks in advance

If you truly are in the "center of the USA" that would be Lebanon KS and per Satbeams the dish size requirement is 150cm for the South American Beam so a mini-BUD might work on a strong transponder.

That satellite i wouldn't mind trying to get but my dish can go so far to 89w so it out of my range. Working with minibuds it takes a a lot of work to get them to pick up a decent signal 1 db off can kill a signal. I use a 4 footer at my apartment and it has work alright until one day I can get a 10 footer of my own. Brian can chime in on this on satbeams power levels are at full power so your mileage may vary you can some transponders but not all of them. I: would like to see your results when you get a minibud setup.

That satellite i wouldn't mind trying to get but my dish can go so far to 89w so it out of my range. Working with minibuds it takes a a lot of work to get them to pick up a decent signal 1 db off can kill a signal. I use a 4 footer at my apartment and it has work alright until one day I can get a 10 footer of my own. Brian can chime in on this on satbeams power levels are at full power so your mileage may vary you can some transponders but not all of them. I: would like to see your results when you get a minibud setup.
Well its was a question one of the guys that works for me had. Hes hispanic and his wife speaks no english. I kinda cheat a little and have these guys help me move some of this stuff, mount the c-band on the pole ect. and it sure didnt take them long to figure out, after initially thinking im crazy, that this is pretty cool. All of my setups are installed at the property that is my business so these guys come in in the morning and im usually goofing around with it scanning something in or watching something. Im still not familiar enough with what is actually where so im sure that there is at least one bird up there that we could capture with a mini bud that could give him some pretty decent spanish speaking channel options if he wants to buy and set up a dish for himself. But he lives in an apartment, and he might have to "squeak" by with a 1.2m dish, or in the very least if it becomes and issue just get a permit to put it up. We know already the landlord said its ok if he wants to install one so long as we are the ones who do the work and will insure the work if it damages the property (which it wont because it will go in the area designated as his back yard) so i have very little issue with helping him install it. Thanks for the replies, and ill pass the information along to him.

113w and 117w have tons of Latino/Hispanic channels. These might be easier to receive with a smaller dish, but I haven't experimented with a 1.2 on C-band for several years.

1.8m dishes would be much better and the steel panel types are inexpensive to purchase and ship.

Reactions: armadillo_115
Was at the lumber yard this afternoon returning a few things and i noticed a dish on the roof. I asked the owner what that was for and apparently they used to use it for tru-value radio several years back. He then says to me ill lift you up there in the man lift if you want it. So now i have a test unit. got it down and it is infact a 1.2m dish. Havent figured out the manufacturer yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 316
Was at the lumber yard this afternoon returning a few things and i noticed a dish on the roof. I asked the owner what that was for and apparently they used to use it for tru-value radio several years back. He then says to me ill lift you up there in the man lift if you want it. So now i have a test unit. got it down and it is infact a 1.2m dish. Havent figured out the manufacturer yet.
Cool! :)

That's a nice Channel Master dish, great find and a keeper! I have one trained on 103W for Ku.
The fellow that had my aformentioned dish had been using it as a mini-bud, and had fabricated a bracket that I didn't think worked properly. It held the C-band LNBF too high and above the designed focal point, so when the dish was re-focused to compensate the focal pint would be a bit distorted. If one were to shorten the bottom support rod (or fabricate another one that is about an inch shorter just for C-band mini-bud testing) about an inch that would drop the LNB mount assembly about 2-3 inches, making it possible to find the poroper focal point for the feed horn placment. Might make up another dB of signal, when every dB counts!

Reactions: Shicks4
Thanks for the tip! I'll fabricate a new one for my tests. Its been out in the open for a while and is in dire need of cleaning. I havent touched it yet as i spent pretty much all day yesterday working on the BUD.

I agree with Titanium about more Spanish on 113w and 117w. Also several on 121W and a few on 58W. 55W has about 50 Spanish channels. 91W has Univision ... which is important to many Hispanics.

78W is mostly Venezuela channels. Not the most interesting programming in my opinion.Lots of gov and propaganda stuff. Video quality is often poor. But to each his own.

As to what part is receivable on a small dish, I have no idea. Only use a BUD here.

Good luck!

Reactions: danristheman
I agree with Titanium about more Spanish on 113w and 117w. Also several on 121W and a few on 58W. 55W has about 50 Spanish channels. 91W has Univision ... which is important to many Hispanics.

78W is mostly Venezuela channels. Not the most interesting programming in my opinion.Lots of gov and propaganda stuff. Video quality is often poor. But to each his own.

As to what part is receivable on a small dish, I have no idea. Only use a BUD here.

Good luck!
well at this point its just an experiment to see, as my employee asked and wondered. Lots of good information here to experiment with, thanks!

Good luck!

55.5w has some very good feeds in English right now, someone Spanish subtitles.

That's a nice Channel Master dish, great find and a keeper! I have one trained on 103W for Ku.
The fellow that had my aformentioned dish had been using it as a mini-bud, and had fabricated a bracket that I didn't think worked properly. It held the C-band LNBF too high and above the designed focal point, so when the dish was re-focused to compensate the focal pint would be a bit distorted. If one were to shorten the bottom support rod (or fabricate another one that is about an inch shorter just for C-band mini-bud testing) about an inch that would drop the LNB mount assembly about 2-3 inches, making it possible to find the poroper focal point for the feed horn placment. Might make up another dB of signal, when every dB counts!
I was over at the shop yesterday messing around and i started looking at this dish. I have my titanium scaler kit and lnbf so ill buy some square aluminum tubing to make the new lower lnb support so that it will accept the lnb bracket from the scaler kit and would presumably accept the ku bracket like what is on my geosat pro 90 cm. Looks to me like i will also need to fabricate new side brackets as well and attach them also similarly to how the support brackets attach on the 90cm dish. my question is this do i need to record the angle the lnb that is currently on the dish? The dish is textured but there is a smooth round dot (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch diameter) just below what center of the dish would be. Is this the focal point? and should i measure the distance from this point (or what ever area the focal point is) to the lnb currently installed on the dish? I would guess the distance would be similar with a c-band lnbf. Hopefully someone with mini bud experience could chime in and give me a little direction. Thanks.

Nice find! Good thing his insurance agent was not around or he could have gotten into trouble. Same reason I could not get a nice Prodlin(sp?) from an Ed Jones building. No way was the building owner going to allow anyone on that roof with out proof of insurance.

Nice find! Good thing his insurance agent was not around or he could have gotten into trouble. Same reason I could not get a nice Prodlin(sp?) from an Ed Jones building. No way was the building owner going to allow anyone on that roof with out proof of insurance.
Oh I have 2 million in general liability and I do a lot of sub work for the lumber yard so my cert is on file.he lifted me up in a man lift w/ a harness, and if I was just joe smoe I doubt they would have given it to me let alone lifted me up there to get Tim. You can never be too careful, and a fine should Osha happen by isn't worth the hassle, and death from a fall would be worse!

Reactions: RT-Cat
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)