mini bud users

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ok Christopher, nice installation and hope you bring in lots of C band stations.

I ordered one of the Titanium LNB's today. Decided to hold off on the dual C/Ku LNB for now and wait for the Titanium to come in.

Sponge try for armed forces network on 99w not gdmx feed when you get that you will be on 99w. Take it from me thats how I know I am on 99w c band.

With the current setup cannot get that one, get the GDMX plus about 3 affiliate channels on 99w. Not impressed whatsoever with the performance but I knew that going in. Like experimenting though. There's nothing like experience.

Will fit the dish with a Ku LNB in the meantime and wait for the Titanium LNB to arrive. Long term goal is to get a 4 footer....

Might try Titanium's idea to make the dish stationary and see how it fares on one satellite. Never did that before, would be interesting to see....

Wish someone made a retrofit to make a 36 inch dish into a four or five footer.

Thanks for the suggestion.

With the current setup cannot get that one, get the GDMX plus about 3 affiliate channels on 99w. Not impressed whatsoever with the performance but I knew that going in. Like experimenting though. There's nothing like experience.

Will fit the dish with a Ku LNB in the meantime and wait for the Titanium LNB to arrive. Long term goal is to get a 4 footer....

Might try Titanium's idea to make the dish stationary and see how it fares on one satellite. Never did that before, would be interesting to see....

Wish someone made a retrofit to make a 36 inch dish into a four or five footer.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Spongella, when I first had my 1.2M C-Band dish stationary, I choose 99W as it was the only one at the time that offered the most channels. It took awhile, but I finally had it pinpointed at the particular sweet spot to get every C-Band channel off of that satellite; including DOD channel and Sheppard's Chapel. Some of the channels are gone now, and I can't seem to get Sheppard's Chapel channels with the motor on, but anyway, it's a good satellite for a stationary dish. You can do it Spongella, with the right combination of dish and LNBF, you are not going to be disappointed. Keep up the awesome progress! :)

Reactions: spongella
Spongella, when I first had my 1.2M C-Band dish stationary, I choose 99W as it was the only one at the time that offered the most channels. It took awhile, but I finally had it pinpointed at the particular sweet spot to get every C-Band channel off of that satellite; including DOD channel and Sheppard's Chapel. Some of the channels are gone now, and I can't seem to get Sheppard's Chapel channels with the motor on, but anyway, it's a good satellite for a stationary dish. That's awesome you got the GDMX feeds at least, you can watch a host of programs off of those feeds many hours before anyone else does. You can do it Spongella, with the right combination of dish and LNBF, you are not going to be disappointed with the results. I hope you will find a good or new 1.2M dish soon. Keep up the awesome progress! :)

Now here is the ad on the dish I have,
egg dish .JPEG.jpg
it worked as well as a 10 foot dish did it is 4 feet

They do make a retrofit!

All you have to do is remove the existing 90cm reflector, LNBF arm, LNBF clamp and mast then install a retrofit 1.2m or 1.5m dish with upgraded LNBF support arms and LNBF clamp.... :D

Took me a while to get that....... :)

Final version of the ugly duckling 3-footer-to-4-footer C band dish. Works slightly better on C band than a 1m dish. Forgot to sand the sheet metal so fiberglass starting to separate in large fish-like scales. Non- smooth surface guarantees signal scattering. Painted an ugly green for aesthetics. Edges of dish are sharp, causing serious wounds. Cumbersome and flimsy design ensures difficult installation. Wear Tyvek suit, facemask, safety glasses and leather gloves when installing. Designed to ensure constant warpage thereby requiring many adjustments and trips to the dish, especially on cold dark nights.

Fantastic results can be had...see example of recent program received using this product below.

So step right up folks, taking orders now if anyone interested, hi hi. Comes with fantastic one day "no money back" guarantee..... if it makes it to your house in one piece. Free First-Aid kit included for the first four hundred customers.

Fun project though. Using it for Ku stationary.

Attachments

• 100_4523.JPG
    100_4523.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 229
  • 100_4536.JPG
    100_4536.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Finally had time to compare the original 36 inch dish versus the home brew retrofitted 48 inch dish. In short, the 48 inch adaptation worked better for C band than the original 36 inch dish it was made from, but not by much. Here is a little table of results. Keep in mind that this was a home brew retrofit made from a 36 inch offset dish, not a factory-made 4 foot dish, so the results will not be comparable with a quality made factory product. Results are also specific to this location (Central NJ) so others may fare better/worse depending on terrain and obstructions.

To be sure I was tracking the Clarke Belt, I first fitted a Ku LNB and made sure the dish was optimized, then I put on a Titanium C band LNB & scalar ring, and did a final fine tuning even though it was pretty much on. Used the new AMIKO from NC-Electronics. Motor was a Stab 90.

The AMIKO was picking up a good number of TP's on a blind scan, but most "Failed". Understandable since this dish is at least 1/2 the size of a regular C band dish.

I scanned satellites from 20W to 131 W, including circular transmissions.

Satellite / Station/ 36 inch dish results/ 48 inch dish results
40.5 W - Christovision & Canal 21 /Not received/ Received well
55.5W - Bolivision /Received well/ Received well
58 W - RTPi /Not received/ Received well
58W -NHK World /Pixielated/ Received well
97W -AMG /Received well/ Received well
99W - Shepherd's Chapel /Received well/ Received well
99W- GDMX channels / Pixlielated/ Received well
99W -LESEA channels / Pixielated/ Received well
99W -NBC Affiliates - these were hard to evaluate since they were on then off, back and forth. Did receive them when on 48 inch dish when they were transmitting programs.
107.3 W- NWT Legis /Received well/ Received well
113W - UDGTV /Not received/ Intermittent reception
121W,- HITN channels /Pixielated/ Received well.

Interesting to note that AMG-TV on 97W occasionally was received when pointed to 99W. Bolivision also coming in pixielated when pointed to 58W. Normal for undersized dish to pick up sidesplatter from nearby satellite.

Fun experiment.

Last edited:
Have an update here ses 3 c band up to 3 transponders pbs, el Salvador and ion mux.

Attachments

• IMG_20150610_011216239.jpg
    IMG_20150610_011216239.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20150610_011346986.jpg
    IMG_20150610_011346986.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 154
Reactions: spongella
Another question here what color can you paint the conical scaler is it the same rule with dish color?

Status
Please reply by conversation.