Mini Genie for an RV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tazfire

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 15, 2017
Pennsylvania
If I'm repeating a previous thread I apologize. My question is simple. Can the mini genie be taken and used in an rv? The main receiver needs to stay at the house.

Thank you

If I'm repeating a previous thread I apologize. My question is simple. Can the mini genie be taken and used in an rv? The main receiver needs to stay at the house.

Thank you

Without the genie (server) the mini genie (client) is a very ineffective paperweight. It must be within the same coax network as the genie to function.

Reactions: stardust3
Without the genie (server) the mini genie (client) is a very ineffective paperweight. It must be within the same coax network as the genie to function.[/QUOTE

Thank you. So what are my alternatives? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

you can buy an h24, h25, hr24, or other receiver that can be moved
all would work at home on the swm network, and allow viewing of the programs on the genie
any would be an improvement over a mini

Thank you so far. So in order to have service in my rv I'm going to need a new receiver? Is that something I can do on my own or does Directv get involved?

as far as i know, directv does not do rv installs
if you have a dish currently, you can contact someone like solid signal to see what will work with it
or look for a local retailer

as far as i know, directv does not do rv installs
if you have a dish currently, you can contact someone like solid signal to see what will work with it
or look for a local retailer
I actually have a slim line dish for it. I just need to figure out how to get service to the rv on the same account if possible.

With some limited exceptions if it rolls or floats DIRECTV in house will not touch it. I generally refer people to someplace like good Sam or camping world who can provide a portable dish and receivers.

Reactions: harshness
The dish is simply an antenna so all you need is another receiver. I would try first calling DIRECTV customer service and see if they would be willing to ship you an HD receiver or HD DVR (whichever you prefer but be specific you do not want an additional genie mini)

It may worth your money to purchase a signal meter of some type if you plan on moving it frequently as the HD dish is very difficult to setup without one.

Worst case if they require a truck roll and you don't want to purchase via an RV dealer, pull one of your minis out of place in the home and tell the tech it's being installed in that location. I can't control what happens in your home after I leave...

technically the account is only supposed to be viewed in one place at a time, home or the rv

:welcome to Satelliteguys Tazfire!
I would see if Directv will drop ship you an additional receiver, best if it's an H24 since it doesn't need to be on a swm system like the H25 does. Tell us about your system. It's a swm type since you have a Genie, but do you know what model lnb you have? That's the device at the end of the arm of the dish. What other boxes do you have in your house? There are limits to how many you can have with certain lnbs, so if you go over that theoretical limit, Directv won't just send you another one.

Technically, but no one cares about that.
and that is why i said technically
if he starts mentions the extra receiver is for his rv, maybe questions will come up
who knows

which is also why i wrote

"you can buy an h24, h25, hr24, or other receiver that can be moved
all would work at home on the swm network, and allow viewing of the programs on the genie
any would be an improvement over a mini"

Not certain you can buy receivers anymore. Pretty sure it's all leased now, any fees are considered a 1 time lease upgrade fee.

A retailer would be best bet in accommodating this imo.

Reactions: JSheridan
He may be eligible for a free one from Directv.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Tazfire!
I would see if Directv will drop ship you an additional receiver, best if it's an H24 since it doesn't need to be on a swm system like the H25 does. Tell us about your system. It's a swm type since you have a Genie, but do you know what model lnb you have? That's the device at the end of the arm of the dish. What other boxes do you have in your house? There are limits to how many you can have with certain lnbs, so if you go over that theoretical limit, Directv won't just send you another one.

Chip,

The lnb is a SL5. The rest of the current system is the Genie Gen 2 with three minis. DIRECTV did agree to send me a standard HD receiver with free installation which as you know I don't need.

That is what you need. Connect it into your system and get it authorized, then move it to the rv. One caveat, you should have the same swm type setup in the rv in case you want to move the receiver back to the house. It will make the process simpler.

Reactions: Jimbo
Chip,

The lnb is a SL5. The rest of the current system is the Genie Gen 2 with three minis. DIRECTV did agree to send me a standard HD receiver with free installation which as you know I don't need.
A gen 2? It's the new HR17?

That is what you need. Connect it into your system and get it authorized, then move it to the rv. One caveat, you should have the same swm type setup in the rv in case you want to move the receiver back to the house. It will make the process simpler.

Thank you very much for all the info.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts