minimal size dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CbandLover

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 20, 2004
Okay, guys... would a 5' c/ku mesh from Skyvision acutally work? I am not expecting 4dtv because I am sure that is not going to work, but is there anything it would pickup, even analog cband in the clear with sparklies? How about possably any higher power c-band dvb fta?

Also, it says AZ/EL mount on this mesh dish.. could I use a regular actuator with it? Or is that polar mount only?

http://www.skyvision.com/store/mi1512001.html

CbandLover said:
Okay, guys... would a 5' c/ku mesh from Skyvision acutally work? I am not expecting 4dtv because I am sure that is not going to work, but is there anything it would pickup, even analog cband in the clear with sparklies? How about possably any higher power c-band dvb fta?

Also, it says AZ/EL mount on this mesh dish.. could I use a regular actuator with it? Or is that polar mount only?

http://www.skyvision.com/store/mi1512001.html

I would say it's a waste, If size is the problem, try to get at least a 8.5' you can get maybe 10 10' dishes used for the price of that thing.

Size most certainly is the problem. I am not saying I would pay for this new one-- I was using it as an example. I want to tinker around with it and so want to know if a 5 foot would do anything. From what Swankhammer and Sorcerer said, it may not be a problem. I was hoping that if my local cband dealer would come out a peak it with their special equipment, I might be able to get away with it. I just want cband but absolutely must keep the dish as small as possable.

And would a regular acutator work with an AZ/EL mount, does anyone know?

CbandLover said:
S I just want cband but absolutely must keep the dish as small as possable.

C Band dish size is required not only for signal strength but also for the ability to be able to discriminate between closely spaced medium powered C Band satellites (typically 2 deg but could be 1.9 - as is the case with Canada & Mexican slots)

I also concur with with rest, regardless of what others say about "getting by" with small dishes, if you want it to work correctly and to the fullest potential, get the 8.5' AT MINIMUM but I would highly suggest the 10'.

I got a c/ku band 6 foot offset for free

A local commercial satellite installer gave me an offset 6 foot dish that was used by a local supermarket for their hughes network system.
The company is no longer using satellite network access and he was told to trash the dish.

It has a fixed az/el mount which is ok with me. I ordered a pair of c-band lnbf's (.15 pLL type). I don't know what kind of performance to expect on c-band with this dish, but I am going to play around with it. I will connect my pansat 2500 A for free to air reception.

If c-band is not satisfactory I will just use it for a super excellent KU dish. The gain would have to be through the roof on KU band with this dish.

Can anyone give me a good example of a strong c-band bird and transponder to tune to for experimental purposes? :D

I even thought about trying to receive two c-band birds witht the one dish using two lnbf's mounted on the arm. I have a 4x1 dms diseqc switch and may even mix a couple of KU .5K lnbf's I will let everyone know what happens and which sat's can be received here in Charleston WV

Status
Please reply by conversation.