AZBOX MiniMe American Edition Frozen

iBoston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
North Central
What the heck is it with receivers?

I have had this thing operating maybe 10 minutes, i did a regular quick blind scan on G19 KU and it didn't find all the channels. So, i chose to do a detailed blind scan, i clicked the button to start scan, and the receiver went black. - I waiting for a couple minutes.. Nothing, so i unplugged, and plugged back in, and now it for ever says....

AzBox starting...

What do i do now?

Well, i followed the directions and did a recovery on it. I am not encouraged by the fact i had to do a firmware / factory reset within 10 minutes of using the unit.

Attempting a detailed blind scan again.

with FTA receivers its always best to have the newest firmware in it. This isnt like Dish & Directv where firmware gets pushed to it automatically. With FTA you have to do it. I know when the MicroHD came out the first thing we told folks was "make sure you have the newest firmware in it"
(which in my mind is good. If say a new software has more bugs in it than the previous with FTA you dont have to go to the new software. With Dish & Directv you do)

I have had this thing operating maybe 10 minutes, i did a regular quick blind scan on G19 KU and it didn't find all the channels. So, i chose to do a detailed blind scan, i clicked the button to start scan, and the receiver went black. -

I believe you are referring to the receiver going to sleep mode on its own which results in the blue light around the power button to turn orange.
This is a known issue caused by the unit's IR sensor being too sensitive and responding to things it should not be responding to such as ambient light from any type of florescent lamp or pressing the remote control keys too rapidly. If this happens again in the future, a simple press of the power button will resume the unit from sleep mode within a few seconds and you should be able to start using it again without having to reboot it.

Thankfully, the upcoming new firmware version we are releasing within the next few days had some additional filtering coded in the remote control driver which totally resolves this issue. However in the meantime, please try to avoid having the unit too close to any type of florescent light source. This also includes those new CFL bulbs as well.

I waiting for a couple minutes.. Nothing, so i unplugged, and plugged back in, and now it for ever says....

AzBox starting...

What do i do now?

If for whatever reason the unit is unresponsive and you feel the need to reboot, DO NOT SIMPLY UNPLUG IT as this can cause bad blocks to be formed on the flash partition similar to what happens when you unplug a PC without doing a shutdown first. Instead, hold down the power button on the remote control or receiver for about 5 seconds until the light around the power button starts flashing blue then release and the unit will reboot.

Chances are, pulling the plug without first doing a proper shutdown caused some of the issues you are experiencing so you will need to reflash the firmware in safe mode via USB in order to have the flash chip reformatted which cleans out any bad blocks that are on it.

If for whatever reason the unit is unresponsive and you feel the need to reboot, DO NOT SIMPLY UNPLUG IT as this can cause bad blocks to be formed on the flash partition similar to what happens when you unplug a PC without doing a shutdown first. Instead, hold down the power button on the remote control or receiver for about 5 seconds until the light around the power button starts flashing blue then release and the unit will reboot. Chances are, pulling the plug without first doing a proper shutdown caused some of the issues you are experiencing so you will need to reflash the firmware in safe mode via USB in order to have the flash chip reformatted which cleans out any bad blocks that are on it.

Why the conflicting answers? iBoston is told you should never just unplug the power cord but Mark2074 gets told this in another thread:

Yesterday I got my AzBox mini Me and I have the problem with the freezing now it will not boot up at all. I had traded my GeoMicroHD in for this box because of the 4:2:2. Now, I am stuck with nothing and from what I see from this thread is that a firmware release is way over do. I cannot even boot into safe mode and the unit it completely unresponsive so I don't know was a firmware release will do. You guys should hold off on selling these units to the public until these major issues are dealt with.

Please unplug the power cord from your unit for at least 1 minute and then try booting again. If you have an ethernet cable plugged in, you may have to unplug it as well since some power is also being delivered from your router via the ethernet cable. Doing this forcefully clears the working memory (i.e. ram) chips and re-initializes the tuner which should resolve the booting issue you are having. An enhanced ram chip and tuner initialization routine will be included in a soon to be released firmware update in order to prevent this from happening again.

Should not ever take 30 minutes for the unit to bootup. As described above, the best way to get it booting again is to unplug the power cord for 1 minute. We are well aware of this issue and resolving it is one of our priority items.

Reactions: catamount
Why the conflicting answers? iBoston is told you should never just unplug the power cord but Mark2074 gets told this in another thread:

It was implied that unplugging the power cord be done after doing a proper Shutdown (deep standby) from the Shutdown menu. This is true for all AzBox models including the miniMe American Edition as they operate more or less like a computer. You simply can't pull the plug without first doing a proper shutdown as it will eventually corrupt the filesystem.

It was implied that unplugging the power cord be done after doing a proper Shutdown (deep standby) from the Shutdown menu. This is true for all AzBox models including the miniMe American Edition as they operate more or less like a computer. You simply can't pull the plug without first doing a proper shutdown as it will eventually corrupt the filesystem.

That's all well and good if the box will respond to remote control signal, but I have found that the whole box just locks up, the only way is either try and long press the power button on the receiver itself or if that does not work you have to remove the power lead.

Reactions: catamount
That's all well and good if the box will respond to remote control signal, but I have found that the whole box just locks up, the only way is either try and long press the power button on the receiver itself or if that does not work you have to remove the power lead.
Long pressing the power button for at least 5 seconds or a bit longer will ALWAYS reboot the receiver, no matter what. You have to make sure the blue light surrounding the power button starts flashing before letting go of it.