Minimum level of service to keep OTA recording

yardline

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 21, 2005
I've had a 622 for four years and I'm out of contract with Dish. What's the cheapest contract I could go with to keep the ability to record OTA?

I also wondered if I cancelled Dish, but disconnected the Sat feed before I called in, how long would the receiver work as a OTA DVR? Obviously the guide would run out, but I know how to set manual timers. Just wondering.

Who owns the receiver? Most are leased from DISH so even if you are out of contract you need to keep the minimom level of programming to keep the lease active. Call DISH you might be able to get the Welcome Pak for $14.99.

If he is leasing the equipment Welcome pack would be the minimal requirement. If he owns then locals only would work

I am leasing my 622, but when I got the letter about Absolute ending the CSR let me switch to locals only. My bill is $16/month--that includes the charges for DVR and for Locals Only. My account shows the $16/month charge, so I'm assuming that this worked for me even though I'm in a lease.

for that monthly price, a tivo would be the better bet if OTA is available.

Sadly, all the networks are *not* available OTA where my house is. I have an OTA antenna set up and cannot pull in all the networks no matter how much tweaking I do. When I plug in my address in that online guide to getting OTA networks, it sure doesn't look possible for me to get all the networks.

My parents have a TiVO and I like my 622 better. Isn't the TiVO $19.95, more than I'm paying now?

I have a ton of movies/tv shows recorded on my external hard drive that I'd hate to leave behind.

interesting...that must have changed recently

I had read up on everything when I called about switching away from Absolute. I thought that they would reject my request for locals-only, but when the CSR put me on hold and asked a supervisor and then came back to let me know that they would let me go to Locals-only, I switched right away before anyone could change their mind! I can get the shows I miss online or buy buying DVD sets or Netflix and I'll save money.

If they had refused to let me go Locals-only, I was ready to get AT 120 with HD for life and $10/month discounted.

those online guides are not 100% accurate. i built my own antenna that has out performed any store bought one i tried. i get the channels that annetannweb and the others say are out of range.

if you have broadband, then the tivo would be your friend for streaming content + ota. i have to admit, i like the 722 way better even though it does not compare when it comes to online content- maybe googletv now??... i think you are right that the rates have gone up. i was paying 9.95 when i had it.

those online guides are not 100% accurate. i built my own antenna that has out performed any store bought one i tried. i get the channels that annetannweb and the others say are out of range.

if you have broadband, then the tivo would be your friend for streaming content + ota. i have to admit, i like the 722 way better even though it does not compare when it comes to online content- maybe googletv now??... i think you are right that the rates have gone up. i was paying 9.95 when i had it.

I just tried out a couple of antenna options and my experiments sure seemed to confirm what antennaweb said about availability. The towers are all in different directions and very far away, plus I don't have line-of-site due to terrain (hills in the way).

I don't think that GoogleTV and the other options are ready just yet. They may be ready soon, and if that is a better option in the future, I'll switch. But $16 for DVR service and locals through Dish work great for me for now...and if GoogleTV and other options require paying for network TV access, then Dish may be the best option for me. Plus, I love how the DVR is integrated with my home theater system and HDTV--online streaming may not be as good.

My home broadband is great--U-Verse at an upgraded speed (my company pays for it because I work from home 2 days per week).

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll drop down to locals only until MNF starts up again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)