Miniumum ku dish size NBCHD on AMC1?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CFreak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
I been thinking about getting either a 36 inch or 1 meter dish. Would either of those size dishes be big enough to get NBCHD DVB-S2 8psk mux reliable and the other high fec 8psk channels?

I been thinking about getting either a 36 inch or 1 meter dish. Would either of those size dishes be big enough to get NBCHD DVB-S2 8psk mux reliable and the other high fec 8psk channels?

I've done it with a 36" 39" 48" .. the bigger the better.

AMC1 has a real weird skew when it was put into orbit...the skew is like the skew for Horizon 2 at 74W...its 25 degrees OPPOSITE what it should be

I've been able to lock the NBC mux on a 30" dish with the wrong skew (normal motorized skew)....I maxed out the meter on a 1.2m dish with the "correct" skew. :D
36" and oddball skew worked really well too :)

AMC1 has a real weird skew when it was put into orbit...the skew is like the skew for Horizon 2 at 74W...its 25 degrees OPPOSITE what it should be

I've been able to lock the NBC mux on a 30" dish with the wrong skew (normal motorized skew)....I maxed out the meter on a 1.2m dish with the "correct" skew. :D
36" and oddball skew worked really well too :)

I am glad you mention the skew being off on Horizon 2. I didn't know that. I did know about about Nbc being off skew but I had just about forgoten.:)
Are you saying that even before you adjusted the skew on the 36inch dish you still got NBC. But you would get an even better signal when you adjust the skew on the dish?

I am glad you mention the skew being off on Horizon 2. I didn't know that. I did know about about Nbc being off skew but I had just about forgoten.
no...The skew for H2 is correct. What I meant is when you skew the LNB for AMC1 on a fixed dish, the skew looks like if you skewed the dish for H2. AMC1 is the only sat with the oddball skew

Are you saying that even before you adjusted the skew on the 36inch dish you still got NBC. But you would get an even better signal when you adjust the skew on the dish?
yep...even on the 30"....although at a real low signal quality

Thanks for the INFO

I was working on moving my 97W - 101W GloryStar like setup to 101W - 105W and was wondering why I was having trouble with 105W (AMC1). I skewed just that one LNB as you suggested and my numbers went way up.

Now 101W and 105W both have rock solid numbers.

Now I might need to get an S2 or MPEG4 receiver for 105W.

I went away from 97W because the only thing I ever watched on that satellite was Pastor Scott or Mrs. Pastor Scott.

no...The skew for H2 is correct. What I meant is when you skew the LNB for AMC1 on a fixed dish, the skew looks like if you skewed the dish for H2. AMC1 is the only sat with the oddball skew

yep...even on the 30"....although at a real low signal quality

I understand now:up. One more question about ku dishes are they as easy to ghetto aim as C band dishes? I plan on switching just between two satellites at first and then I was going to add a motor later to hunt wildfeeds. Thanks everyone.

I was working on moving my 97W - 101W GloryStar like setup to 101W - 105W and was wondering why I was having trouble with 105W (AMC1). I skewed just that one LNB as you suggested and my numbers went way up.

Now 101W and 105W both have rock solid numbers.

Now I might need to get an S2 or MPEG4 receiver for 105W.

I went away from 97W because the only thing I ever watched on that satellite was Pastor Scott or Mrs. Pastor Scott.

AMC1 is at 103W
AMC15 is at 105W

103W KU has the oddball skew...105 is a normal skewed LNB but since you have the ability to skew each LNB separately that works fine too for optimum signal quality

One more question about ku dishes are they as easy to ghetto aim as C band dishes?

depends on where you are located and what sats you're looking to get

Here in MN my true south is 93W but from 87 over to 101 or so the elevation is minimal so its pretty easy to ghetto aim a dish.

But if I try like G18 (123W) that can be a little more difficult since there isnt much around it and the elevation drops off for me as I move west

depends on where you are located and what sats you're looking to get

Here in MN my true south is 93W but from 87 over to 101 or so the elevation is minimal so its pretty easy to ghetto aim a dish.

But if I try like G18 (123W) that can be a little more difficult since there isnt much around it and the elevation drops off for me as I move west

OK i got it. The satellites I am wanting for sure are only +/- 12 to 20 degrees from my true south.:angel:

I tried my Primestar dish (40x30) on AMC1 with oddball skew and locked both TP's pretty well for NBC HD

1 TP at 40-45 quality
2nd one at 70

this is with a Coolsat 8000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)