Minneapolis spot beam

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cebbigh

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2005
Frostbite Falls
I recently moved to NW Minnesota (Ulen, zip 56585) and HD OTA for Fargo is proving to be a problem. I don't qualify distants. So I'm considering "moving" to Minneapolis. Anyone know if the spot beam would reach me?

they are on satellite 99 TP16 so if you can get signal then you should be able to

I dont know on a D* receiver how to check that (havent worked with D in a awhile)

honestly I'll say yes because two counties east of you is still the Mpls DMA.

I recently moved to NW Minnesota (Ulen, zip 56585) and HD OTA for Fargo is proving to be a problem. I don't qualify distants. So I'm considering "moving" to Minneapolis. Anyone know if the spot beam would reach me?
Do you qualify for Minneapolis or Fargo locals? The spot beam should cover the whole state.

His county is in the Fargo DMA. But if he goes one country east or 2 counties south he is in the Mpls DMA

Changed over yesterday and all is working well. Even through the lightening thunder and heavy rains yesterday.

glad its working. Where you're located you're well within the spotbeam :)

My uncle is down the road in Grant County and he is in spotbeam of both too. He gets Mpls locals :)

I also recently moved from the Twin Cities to the Fargo/Moorhead area (58078 zip). I'm also considering "moving back" to Minneapolis in the near future. If I did this, would the twin cities hd spotbeam hit fargo/moorhead? If it does, what is the process to move with D*? Do I just call up and give them a new service address or do I need to do something special. If someone could PM me or post it would be greatly appreciated. The local stations up here are ridiculous compared to the cities, its ALMOST unbearable to watch...

Thanks

Drama

I also recently moved from the Twin Cities to the Fargo/Moorhead area (58078 zip). I'm also considering "moving back" to Minneapolis in the near future. If I did this, would the twin cities hd spotbeam hit fargo/moorhead? If it does, what is the process to move with D*? Do I just call up and give them a new service address or do I need to do something special. If someone could PM me or post it would be greatly appreciated. The local stations up here are ridiculous compared to the cities, its ALMOST unbearable to watch...

Thanks

Drama

First verify that you get the spotbeam on satellite 99 TP16. Then call customer service and advise them that you want to move your service to your new Minneapolis address where everything is already set up and that you will keep your present billing address. You'll need to redo the initial setup with the appropriate zip code. On one of my two receivers I had to repeat setup 2x.

I had to place 2 calls as the 1st rep insisted they needed to send someone. 2nd rep was very helpful so I also added Sunday ticket because I was planning on doing that anyway and hope it helps her meet her counts.

I find it interesting that someone living in Minnesota can't get Minnesota locals, instead they get locals from North Dakota. I understand the proximity thing, but still, either give them Minnesota locals or give them both. Didn't they pass a law about this (I can't remember what its called)?

Here is the issue.

All the Mpls locals are about 200 miles away from where (in this case) the OP is. The Minneapolis DMA is HUGE...stretching from Iowa border to almost the Canadian border. There are some satellite stations that (other than local ads) are the same as Mpls.

Below is the map of the DMA's in MN...most of the towers for Minneapolis stations are in Ramsey/Anoka county. If you notice the Fargo DMA its pretty much the counties right on the border of NoDak. Those stations do cover stories for MN whereas the Mpls stations only would if its something huge

Attachments

• minnesota.gif
    minnesota.gif
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,544
Here is the issue.

All the Mpls locals are about 200 miles away from where (in this case) the OP is. The Minneapolis DMA is HUGE...stretching from Iowa border to almost the Canadian border. There are some satellite stations that (other than local ads) are the same as Mpls.

Below is the map of the DMA's in MN...most of the towers for Minneapolis stations are in Ramsey/Anoka county. If you notice the Fargo DMA its pretty much the counties right on the border of NoDak. Those stations do cover stories for MN whereas the Mpls stations only would if its something huge
Thanks for the map, very interesting. I'm guess I'm just used to AZ, where you either get Phoenix or Tucson locals, depending on where you live (as far as I know). I guess we don't have big border towns with local stations, except for maybe Las Vegas.

I think the law is called "significantly viewed" where you can get multiple DMA's if you live close to both. I know this happens a lot on cable, but not sure about satellite yet.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the map, very interesting. I'm guess I'm just used to AZ, where you either get Phoenix or Tucson locals, depending on where you live (as far as I know). I guess we don't have big border towns with local stations, except for maybe Las Vegas.

I think the law is called "significantly viewed" where you can get multiple DMA's if you live close to both. I know this happens a lot on cable, but not sure about satellite yet.

Thanks again.

There are some areas that get sv channels. CT is one of them. Depending upon the county you are in, you will get some NYC, Boston, or Providence RI channels. I have no idea why we are one of the few that get them. Just lucky, I guess!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts