Mirroring the Hopper to feed additional TVs

jcoppola

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Charleston, SC
Long time Dish customer moving into new house in November. Currently I have a Hopper 2k and 2 joeys. The old homeowner is leaving 2 TVs. In my new home there will be 4 TVs now and 2 will be 4k TVs. I really only need to ability to watch 3 independently. Is there a way to mirror TV 4 and not have to spend money on another Joey? How would you all set this up? Thank you.

Long time Dish customer moving into new house in November. Currently I have a Hopper 2k and 2 joeys. The old homeowner is leaving 2 TVs. In my new home there will be 4 TVs now and 2 will be 4k TVs. I really only need to ability to watch 3 independently. Is there a way to mirror TV 4 and not have to spend money on another Joey? How would you all set this up? Thank you.
You can use one of the other outputs(ie. Hdmi to one tv and component output to other) or if you want hdmi to both you can buy Hdmi splitter and rum hdmi to both. You can also pair multiple remotes to the same hopper or Joey so pick up extra remote so you won't have to share with second location.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

We have the same situation with a lot of TV's in many rooms but only 2 people viewing them. I use HDMI splitters. Use the HDMI output from the Joey and run it to however many TV's you want. You can also do it from the Hopper. I have a 2 output splitter from the Hopper and a 4 output from a Joey.

What they said. I'm using an inexpensive HDMI splitter from Monoprice.com to split the output from a Joey to the bedroom it is located in and an adjacent bedroom. Hardest part is routing the cable, it's not like RG-6 where you can drill a 1/4" hole and run the wire and crimp on a connector. Every once in a while the splitter goes catawampus and I need to unplug and reconnect power.

Keep in mind that if one TV is UHD (4k) and the other HD (1080 or 270), you may have problems getting picture on both TVs. Best case is both would receive HD even with a UHD (4k) source. Worst case is the HD TV would loose picture on an UHD source.

Hardest part is routing the cable, it's not like RG-6 where you can drill a 1/4" hole and run the wire and crimp on a connector.

If the other TV's are only SD, (or HD pic quality isn't a priority on secondary TV's) you can also use a simple RF modulator on either the Ho or the Jo's & run (basically) an unlimited amount of TV's off that. And unlike all the D* HD boxes, you don't have to jack around with having no on-screen displays when you're simultaneously using both HDMI & SD receiver outputs!
I'm still using 4 input Channel+ stereo mods to all my secondary TV's, since they are still SD's & on those the picture quality is great...for SD, of course.

Yea what he said, I put a modulator using the composite (red/white/yellow) from my new H3 & a joey, running through the whole house for TV's that aren't HD (bathroom, garage, etc), and HDMI to the TV itself. Working just fine.