Missing beginning of programs

Mike88

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Sometimes recorded programs get cut short at the beginning. IIRC they were all using the satellite tuners vs. the OTA tuners. And I don’t mean what happens when the broadcasters change times.

I typically use the 1 minute early start & 3 minute ending late default settings. IOW the recording should start 1 minute before the hour. But something is changing this and the recording is starting 1 minute after the hour after the program has already begun.

This has happened both when nothing else was being recorded immediately before or after the affected program and also when multiple recordings are taking place. And sometimes when set to record weekly & sometimes when only one timer was scheduled.

If I hit the DVR button 3 times & look back into the previously recorded program & hit the Info button this typical info shows up.

Start Time: 3:39 pm
AV Record: 4:01 pm
Stop Time: 5:03 pm
AV Stopped: 5:03 pm

The start time is correct but the AV record time is different. On properly recorded programs the Start Time and AV Record are exactly the same. Something is changing the AV Record time on the problem recordings. I presume " AV" stands for Audio/Video.

I’m either going to swap DVRs or maybe try the reset/reboot as mentioned here.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/239620-722k-freezes-reboots-when-trying-enter.html

As I think about it, the problem first started in March with several occurrences within a few days. Then not so much during the summer. Now again several occurrences within a few days. IOW more problems in cooler weather. Could something be happening at the LNBs that might affect this?

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I see this when some timers overlap. Can't have too many things finishing and starting at the same time not enough tuners. Other wise no. If its a real pain try a few manual timers. You should not have to do that but if it works why not. Peace

I see this when some timers overlap. Can't have too many things finishing and starting at the same time not enough tuners. Other wise no. If its a real pain try a few manual timers. You should not have to do that but if it works why not. Peace

Sometimes it happens when only one recording is taking place. It has also happened with a manual timer.

This just happened again. Good thing i changed the default to start 2 minutes early & only a few seconds were cut off the beginning.

Yeah, but if you expand the timers, sometimes the program before or after does not record.

There was nothing else being recorded before, during or after the corrupt program. This has happened to me about 10 or 12 times within the last 10 months, and has occurred using either the satellite or OTA tuners. I was hoping that changing the start time from +1 minute to +2 minutes might eliminate the problem. It has not, but at least I don't miss as much of the beginning of the program. The corrupt program technically started on time but I missed just a few seconds.

I seem to be the only person having this recurring problem. Either no one else has experienced it or since only a minute gets clipped off people just presume the program started a bit early.

Last edited:
The default seems to be +1 minute on the front and +3 on the end, yet i get many programs that the end is cut off, but never have I lost the beginning of a show. I do notice that TBS runs their shows right up to the start of the next show. Is this happening on one channel or more. What channel is it happening on.

The default seems to be +1 minute on the front and +3 on the end, yet i get many programs that the end is cut off, but never have I lost the beginning of a show. I do notice that TBS runs their shows right up to the start of the next show. Is this happening on one channel or more. What channel is it happening on.

This has happened with satellite programming via the sat tuner and broadcast programming via the OTA tuner. It has happened in the afternoon & at night. I do have most of this documented & have supplied it to Dish. The bottom line is they suggest replacing the DVR.

I'm a bit hesitant about swapping DVRs as there is some controversy about the quality of refurbed units on another thread. I thought I'd try the +2 minutes early & it worked for while, however the missed beginnings are sporatic so I cannot determine any changes in the short run. So far no one, even at Dish, can tell what, how or why that AV Recorded time functions & what controls it. It just seems weird that a hard drive problem would once in while change this setting. I guess I'll to give in & get a refurbed DVR & hope I don't get someone else's problems.

It's happened again, 7 times in the last 6 days. Good thing I start 2 minutes early. But the "AV Recorded" time still should not be changing.

Firmware, hardware, whatever. This isn't right.

Very coincidental you posted. I am experiencing the opposite and was just thinking about changing my timers, that is at this point most all programs are starting on time now, I have no need to start early. Now there are some shows like Pawn Stars or Barterers or Storage Wars, where they run back to back, seem like the first show goes over just a little, so if I did not record both episodes, I would have lost the end of the first. And if the tuner has to record another channel, I might lose the last seconds of the second episode. And I see even some other shows, like Suits or Burn Notice have started to lose the last few seconds, but all start on time now.
Setting the timer to go 1 minute over will work, but only if the tuner does not have to go to another channel.
Somewhere along the way there was a change to how the timer works. Before if I had it set to go 1 minute over, I would not be able to record on another channel on that tuner in the next hour, it would see that the show can't start on time. Now however, it just ignores the 1 minute over, and will record. (On a 612) But if there is no next recording it will record 1 minute over.

Last edited:
I'm having a similar problem. Some of my recordings start three minutes late. It doesn't matter if it bumps up to another program and is all alone. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. I can set a timer to record all showings of a series and about one of ten will start three minutes late. btw - this is a 722k.

In the past week, I have had similar problems with missing the beginnings of some recordings. Mine have been on USA (late night repeats) and on EPIX Drive In. I just checked my Daily Schedule and my timers are going off on time. It seems in my case the programs are starting several minutes early as far as the guide is concerned and I have to adjust the start time accordingly. I am not sure if this is the same problem you are having.

I have had problems with quite a few shows being recorded that end before the show is finished. I have tried adding time to the timers and every other combination with the same results and this has gone past feelings of frustration. This happens on both of my hoppers and on a variety of channels. I love my hoppers and how they perform but this on going issue leaves a sour taste in my mouth, I just wish it would get resolved.

In the past to record on a channel beyond the "standard" 1 before and 3 after when you have other channel(s) to record, you must set more than those numbers, like 2 before and/or 5 after. With these larger settings you may then lose a third channel's entire recording depending on priority. The way around is to have more recorders and spend more $$$ for the additional ones! Mine are set for 0 before and 0 after except where I feel I must see it all.
-Ken

Take a look at message #1. Go back into the past history of what was recorded, find & select the program & hit the "Info" button. See if the "AV Recorded" matches the "Start Time". If the recording has a missed beginning the "AV Recorded" will most likely be later than the "Start Time". This has been the case with all my corrupt recordings.

If you're recording one program after the other & the DVR needs the same tuner then these figures probably will be different. But In my case that has not been the situation. I try to schedule around every conflict so there is no conflict.

In fact I just had another occurrence, this time with a PPV recording. The movie started after all the titles, etc. So I missed the lead in or set up to the story that followed.

That would suggest to me a receiver problem then, or you need to do memory dump?

Menu - System set-up - Diagnosis - then in quick succession, info - right - left - . Screen should come up. When you hit info again, should/might see message of corruption. Unplug the receiver, wait a couple of minutes and plug back in.

The right/left is the advance button like when you are in the guide, not the DVR buttons.

I have never lost any settings or recordings, when doing this, EXCEPT when my hard drive was corrupted. But then it really didn't matter I needed a new receiver anyway. Your mileage may vary so you do this on your own............

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)