Missing beginning of programs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
No, read it again, That post took an additional step to format the HDD, my suggestion does not erase any info, nor reformat the hard drive.

I did understand what you said. My intention was just to point out another option. Sorry if I was not clear.

What exactly does a memory dump do?

Menu - System set-up - Diagnosis - then in quick succession, info - right - left - . Screen should come up. When you hit info again, should/might see message of corruption. Unplug the receiver, wait a couple of minutes and plug back in.

The right/left is the advance button like when you are in the guide, not the DVR buttons.

I have never lost any settings or recordings, when doing this, EXCEPT when my hard drive was corrupted. But then it really didn't matter I needed a new receiver anyway. Your mileage may vary so you do this on your own............

Cleared the memory and thought all was good - then for no apparent reason a movie on EPIX started two minutes late. Nothing tangent to it. If past experience holds true, I will get late recordings for a while then it will become normal and the cycle will repeat again later.

That's what also happens with me. Everything works properly for 2 or 3 months, then there will be a few missed beginnings. Then the cycle repeats.

I wonder how many instances of this are not reported or recognized because a lot of people just think a program started a bit early & dismissed the issue.

Have you compared the Start Time to the AV Recorded time as mentioned in the original posting? Please LMK if the times are different.

That's what also happens with me. Everything works properly for 2 or 3 months, then there will be a few missed beginnings. Then the cycle repeats.

I wonder how many instances of this are not reported or recognized because a lot of people just think a program started a bit early & dismissed the issue.

Have you compared the Start Time to the AV Recorded time as mentioned in the original posting? Please LMK if the times are different.

The times are different. The actual recording start time is shown and is later than the scheduled time.

That is what I was attempting to answer - Yes.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess this means this problem may not be related to a DVR starting to go bad.

Long time ago I had my DVR replaced because of a playback ending early problem which is discussed in another thread. However the new DVR had the same problem. Was random & intermittent just like this missed beginning problem. IOW a new DVR may not solve the problem.

So far no one at Dish can say why the "AV Recorded" time changes, or what controls it. Obviously the consumer has no access to this.

This has happened to me 10 times so far this month. It typically used to happen maybe once every month or two. All of these were using the sat tuner vs. the OTA tuner. Seven times nothing else was being recorded at the same time.

What’s interesting is it happened 3 times with one program & 2 times with another. One time both of these were being recorded at the same time & only one got delayed.

I don’t know why the sudden increase. I really don’t want to go back to Comcast, but I would get faster Internet & pay less for their triple play package. And Dish’s Executive office never responded to my previous email. Decisions, decisions.

Just had it happen again, but this was a big error.

I added 5 mins to the beginning & end, Start 5:55pm & end 7:05pm. The AV Recorded time was changed to 6:04pm. That's a 9 minute clipping & of course loses the first 4 mins of the program. Unbelievable.

That being said I received a replacement DVR yesterday & am in the process of backing up my recordings to an EHD. We'll see what happens.

I got the new DVR up & running & guess what. The very first program I tried a scheduled recording on started recording 2 minutes later than it was set for. Being a new DVR the default 1 minute early start was used. But the AV Record indicates it started 1 minute after the hour.

The recording indicates it is 31 mins vs the 34 mins it should be. That means the recording was clipped be 3 mins. This 2 min vs 3 min discrepancy seems pretty typical & probably is a result of rounding off the time. It would also explain why when I started 2 mins early and the AV Record indicated a 2 min change that I still missed the beginning of the program.

I don't know where to go from here.

I got the new DVR up & running & guess what. The very first program I tried a scheduled recording on started recording 2 minutes later than it was set for. Being a new DVR the default 1 minute early start was used. But the AV Record indicates it started 1 minute after the hour.

The recording indicates it is 31 mins vs the 34 mins it should be. That means the recording was clipped be 3 mins. This 2 min vs 3 min discrepancy seems pretty typical & probably is a result of rounding off the time. It would also explain why when I started 2 mins early and the AV Record indicated a 2 min change that I still missed the beginning of the program.

I don't know where to go from here.

Are you able to monitor what is going on when the timer is set to go off? It sounds like the receiver may not be getting a lock on the satellite in a timely manner, it does eventually get the lock, but it takes several minutes. During normal use do you have trouble with signal acquisition?

I don't usually watch the TV when the timer is set to go off but when I do everything appears OK. I have never noticed any trouble with signal acquisition.

In this particular case it was an OTA program that was corrupted. Later I recorded another program on the same channel but using a satellite tuner & it got clipped also.

These late starts are random & typically with a satellite tuner & has happened with broadcast & cable channels.

Somehow that AV Recorded time is getting changed and it's almost always by 2 minutes. Only 2 times out of dozens of corrupted recording has it ever been other than 2 minutes. Once it was by 3 mins & once by 9 mins. I guess the one constant is pretty much the 2 min figure.

I'm puzzled & so far no one from Dish can even tell me what AV Recorded stands for or what controls it.

An explanation if you were doing this at certain times.
If the nightly update is set too close to the recording time you may miss part or even all of the show.
The update may be lengthened if you have an EHD plugged in, up to hours.
Without an EHD allows 10 minutes for the update on most nights.

-Ken

My nightly updates happen at 5:00am and I never record anything at that time. I've had the problem happen at 3:00pm when only a single recording was taking place.

I've set the default to start 5 mins early. Twice in the last week it started 6 mins early according to the AV Record time.

If there's already a "Start Time" then why does an "AV Recorded" time even exist?

Old Thread

Responses to 2 1/2 year old thread about losing a minute of recording time. Pretty amazing that it could take this long to be resolved with no end in sight!

Losing a minute may not seem important but it is. Some programs lead right into the action. I recall one CSI episode where they were checking a dead body. But I missed what, where, how it happened which all took place at the beginning. And this happens frequently. Kind of defeats the reason that Dish has time padding in the first place. And there's the time I added 5 mins & the recording started 9 mins late.

No one from Dish can even tell me what "AV Recorded" stands for, let alone what or how it is controlled. Not the installer, not Dish customer service, not the DIRT people, & not their executive office. And I'm told I cannot call, email or write to their IT dept.

I am told there is no way that anyone will get back to me regarding having this problem fixed or even looked at or even acknowledged.

I worked for a very large corporation & could call any dept & speak to someone. Yet it seams no one at Dish can contact their IT dept other than to pass along a problem. It's a one way street & info only gets into IT. Keeping a customer uninformed is just plain poor customer service.

I looked at the screen photos & notes that I have taken since I got a new DVR on 5-26-2013 and new LNB on 6-5-2013.
My photos show the actual shortened recording times & the changed AV Recorded times.

So far I have 13 corrupted recordings, 11 with time cut from the beginning & 2 with time actually added.
And I've had at least 40 recordings with clipped beginnings with my old DVR.

Doesn't this seem kind of unusual?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)