Missing channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hdfxsti

Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
A couple of months ago I noticed a decrease in the number of PPV channels. Strangely enough this only seems to happen on the weekends. I currently have three movies available from channel 125-142 then it skips to 195. I called and they said something was wrong and they would have to send a tech. I have very old RCA receivers. Any idea as to what I could do without having a service call?

I have tried to reset the receivers on the website but is there anything I should be doing to the receiver itself?

DirecTV has been moving PPV to MPEG4, so your older receiver can't tune hem.

Was this communicated in any way to customers with old receivers? They acted like I was crazy when I called. Are there any offers for upgrading receivers?

Was this communicated in any way to customers with old receivers? They acted like I was crazy when I called. Are there any offers for upgrading receivers?

CSR's tend to overlook things. I had a service call for a customer with an older H-10 and a triple sat. The call reason was that they weren't getting the HD that DirecTV provides. The CSR overlooked that they did not have a compatable system.

If you pull up your account online and go to upgrade, they will have a list of what is available normally for you.
Overall I think it's better to call and discuss it with D* because then there a better chance of having D* give you a deal towards your up grade.

Jimbo

It's not because they are moving to MPEG-4. The really really really really REALLY old RCA receivers have a limit as to how much guide data they can hold. In order to keep you from losing guide data on actual channels, and likely on the sports package channels (NFL, MLB, etc), they hide some PPV channels from those receivers. There was a thread about it here a few weeks ago, but I can't find it now.

It's not because they are moving to MPEG-4. The really really really really REALLY old RCA receivers have a limit as to how much guide data they can hold. In order to keep you from losing guide data on actual channels, and likely on the sports package channels (NFL, MLB, etc), they hide some PPV channels from those receivers. There was a thread about it here a few weeks ago, but I can't find it now.

I don't think thats the case here, I agree with your statement about the lack of guide data, however, that would be the ability to have many days worth, not channel wise.

The newer rec's, mainly Recorders, have guide info for up to 14 days, where as the older units only had a 3 day limit

You have to have the ability to see all channels that are available , so you have the option to purchase them.
UNLESS, that block of channels is strictly HD.

Jimbo

I don't think thats the case here, I agree with your statement about the lack of guide data, however, that would be the ability to have many days worth, not channel wise.

The newer rec's, mainly Recorders, have guide info for up to 14 days, where as the older units only had a 3 day limit

You have to have the ability to see all channels that are available , so you have the option to purchase them.
UNLESS, that block of channels is strictly HD.

Jimbo

No, this specifically affects really really old receivers and they are specifically hiding PPV channels to resolve the issue. I'll try to dig up the thread.

No, this specifically affects really really old receivers and they are specifically hiding PPV channels to resolve the issue. I'll try to dig up the thread.

So if I look at a friends older rec. I will find PPV's MISSING ???
What, they don't get the same movies available to them as the rest of us ?

So if I look at a friends older rec. I will find PPV's MISSING ???
What, they don't get the same movies available to them as the rest of us ?

If you'll notice there are multiple PPV channels for each movie..they just hide some of each movie to accomplish what they need to.

So, if you have access to the movie,on way or the other, how is that a problem ?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Or maybe you don't understand the problem.

The problem is that the receivers have a limited amount of memory dedicated to the program guide. With the vast number of channels now on the system, they are running out of memory. By reducing the number of PPV channels that are visible to the older receivers, they reduce the amount of program guide information. Since each movie has several channels dedicated to them, they just have one or two channels per movie instead of 4 or 5 (or whatever the actual number is). This way, the receivers still have access to all the PPV movies, and customers don't lose guide data for regular subscription channels.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Or maybe you don't understand the problem.

The problem is that the receivers have a limited amount of memory dedicated to the program guide. With the vast number of channels now on the system, they are running out of memory. By reducing the number of PPV channels that are visible to the older receivers, they reduce the amount of program guide information. Since each movie has several channels dedicated to them, they just have one or two channels per movie instead of 4 or 5 (or whatever the actual number is). This way, the receivers still have access to all the PPV movies, and customers don't lose guide data for regular subscription channels.

So what is the question ?
All channels are available PPV as well, just not as many options, is that what your talking about ? If it is, and you have access to all the programming, if movie X is available on channel 126 and 127 , why is that a problem ?

Maybe I'm not understanding the issue here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)