Missing dielectric plate, alternative?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

arcangelnew

Original poster
Hi everyone, I was trying to catch the SES6 but that bird is circular so I need a dielectric plate for my LNB, but the problem is that I don't had it, I know most of you will tell "cmon they are cheap just buy one", well the problem is I live in Mexico and no one sell them here, I searched the net, but only on ebay sell them and the shipping price to mexico is ridiculous $55 shipping for a $10 plate, So the question is, Can I made a dielectric plate with something that is on my house? Or I should go on and buy a complete lnb with the dielectric plate included(ebay price $75 shipping included)?

I have a pile of those things also.

You can make one also, I used a credit type card when I made a linear ku lnbf into a low band circular lnbf.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If you have the outer plastic shell of a Bic Pen, they can be cut or filed down to the correct length to fit into your C-band cavity. Just make sure it is installed halfway between vertical and horizontal wavefront (45 degrees from either) by first testing polarity on a nearby satellite such as 37.5, 43 or 45 West.

I've found that some LNBFs have different sized dielectric plates, because the throat/opening is a slightly different size for some LNBFs. Something to consider.

sgs

I can lock about half of the circular signals on SES6 (40.5W) without a dielectric plate using an 8ft mesh! The trick is to use a large dish. A 10ft dish will probably get all circular signals without a dielectric plate.

The dielectric plate essentially doubles the power received by your LNBF - it combines the two out-of-phase signals into one. Without the dielectric plate, your gain will be 3dB less, but if you have a larger dish it doesn't matter.

I can also lock circular signals on NSS806 (47.5W) - a good satellite to test.

I can lock about half of the circular signals on SES6 (40.5W) without a dielectric plate using an 8ft mesh! The trick is to use a large dish. A 10ft dish will probably get all circular signals without a dielectric plate.

The dielectric plate essentially doubles the power received by your LNBF - it combines the two out-of-phase signals into one. Without the dielectric plate, your gain will be 3dB less, but if you have a larger dish it doesn't matter.

I can also lock circular signals on NSS806 (47.5W) - a good satellite to test.

Thanks for the heads up, but that is my problem, i have a 1.8m (like 6ft) dish, and I don't had money to buy another one, also on my country they are really expensive.

Right now I'm waiting for the dielectric plate that "TITANIUM SATELLITE" send for free, he sent it immediately but the postal service on my country is really slow, I hope it will arrive on the next week or maybe 2 weeks more, than I will made some test, Anyway thanks for the info i will take that in mind If I get a bigger dish.

Let us know the results when you get the plate. :)

Hi everyone, I just received the dielectric plate that "TITANIUMSATELLITE" sent me for free, and it fits perfectly (see pics below), thanks again guys, also I did some test and I got 40% quality, I need to do some fine alignment, but at least I can got a few tp, also I tried using a old credit card as one of our members said, but I can't get over the 25% maybe if we use 2 credit cards I don't know, So far I just want to say thanks again to TITANIUMSATELLITE for the free plate, and everyone for their ideas, I will do a new post once I had free time to do some more tests, and I believe this concludes this post.

Attachments

• DSC_0013[1].jpg
    DSC_0013[1].jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC_0014[1].jpg
    DSC_0014[1].jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 261
Status
Please reply by conversation.